New characters, and not totally sure what to do with them

froggerjohn
froggerjohn Posts: 373 Mover and Shaker
https://mpq.gamependium.com/rosters/froggerjohn/revisions/138

Feels like I've had some good luck, and good progress recently.
As I get more character options, I can taste the potential diversity that awaits. Hoping I can get a few ideas for how best to explore and continue my development.

Newest champs: Peggy, Bishop, Dazzler
Down to just 3 missing 5*s.

I have a few specific questions, but general recommendations are always a treat to get.

1. The 1-cover blue Doom feels like an interesting America partner, with both AP-steal and healing. Less damage than Ghost, but helping to maintain the AP advantage and reducing hp usage in PvP may be more valuable. I'm thinking of using him for PvP climbing. (And should get more covers in the next LT cycles).

2. Carol/Wasp has been a blast to play with, even though my Wasp isn't finished at 5/3/3. When I can bring a third (like Simulator) I was using Medusa most of the time, but Bishop was an interesting option to make sure I can get the blue quickly for Buzzing. Any other good thirds for that pair?

3. I heard Bishop/Peggy/XFDP makes a good defensive team for PvP floating. I only have 4/5/3 XFDP, and not sure if that's good enough for the desired effect. And not sure of the best builds for the other two. I'm trying this at the end of Simulator, but the fight with them took a REALLY long time. Is that expected, or am I doing something wrong?

4. My 4BH is on RBG, now 4/3/3. But not sure where to go with the 3BH, or in general, who to chase next after RBG.

Comments

• TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    C4rol/Wasp/3* Falcon is a classic. Flying Sam brings Protect tiles to flip, generates more Countdowns if you have enough blue, and buffs tiles when matching yellow.
    The others, I don't really have a whole lot of experience with myself.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2019
    I heard Bishop/Peggy/XFDP makes a good defensive team for PvP floating. I only have 4/5/3 XFDP, and not sure if that's good enough for the desired effect. And not sure of the best builds for the other two. I'm trying this at the end of Simulator, but the fight with them took a REALLY long time. Is that expected, or am I doing something wrong?
    Peggy's best build is 5/3/5 almost all the time. The only exception is when you have a better red user on your team and can set her yellow to 5. There isn't a better blue user in the game. Her best teammates are blue AP accelerators, of which you have two: IM40 and Vulture. They both work fine in the critical role of filling up Peggy's blue. I generally used IM40 because he can fill up Peggy's red as well, which comes in very useful (see my strategy in the paragraph below), but Vulture gives you the advantage of a big green AoE.

Remember the optimal strategy with Peggy is to whittle one of your opponent's health down that you can take them out in one turn, either with match damage or (more commonly) with a power cast like Peggy's red. That's when it's time to cast her blue - you stun the other two opponents first and then you can take out the third all in one turn. This gives you control of the board and enables you to preserve her countdown tiles without interference from opposing match-makers.

As for XFDP and Bishop, they work best against 5-star opponents who will trigger their passives on match damage every turn. They can also be effective against Grocket teams. Either way, you're going to eat some health packs. But when it comes to defense, there is no such thing. If you're worth enough points to someone they're not going to care who your team is - they'll come up with a team to beat it.
    But not sure where to go with the 3BH, or in general, who to chase next after RBG.
    If all of your 3-stars are fully-covered, do what I did: BH the ones you still use despite the fact that you're in 4-star land and max-champ them. A max-champed 3-star is an effective force, especially when boosted. Three likely candidates are IM40, Thanos, and Dr. Strange. I still use all three of those as a 5-star player.

After covering Grocket, I'd start looking at finishing Wasp, Rogue, Teen Jean, Iceman, Blade, or Gamora as your next 4-star bonus hero.
  • froggerjohn
    Ooh, I'm surprised I forgot about Falcon. Thanks!

In fact, in the pre-America days, Wasp/Falcon/Switch was the first team I considered 'fast' against active tile movers. My Wasp developed quickly with some lucky covers, an Insiders redemption, and the Vision reward. I think I had a 4/2/1, or similar. Really liked playing that team.

On #3, the overnight float with Bishop/Peggy/XFDP was pretty successful. Only lost 100 pts from 1800 to 1700.
  • froggerjohn
    Thanks for the notes on Peggy, but I'm guessing that it only applies when she's boosted?
    At level 271, the blue CDs only do 5372 damage. Even paired with Vulture's AoE, that's not going to take out many foes.

Point taken about XFDP/Bishop. It concurs with the defensive Sim losses coming from essentially "weak teams", so they didn't trigger the passives.

The main thing on defense though, is to just get a higher percentage of 'skips'. If players are facing a slower fight, or know they'll take some damage, many of them probably keep looking for someone else.

For 3BH, I was kind of looking at those mid-level 4* cover champ rewards. But the characters close to the reward level either feed characters of low interest, or ones with small numbers of covers.

I think my four best candidates might be:

212 Gamora (and 206 SL) for 2/3/3 Star Lord. This seems likely to be a better RBG Guardian partner, rather than 0/4/4 G4mora.

231 Vision to max-champ, to get another black for 5/3/3 Wasp, and some LLs.

217 Thanos for Court Death damage, and small side benefit of black cover for 1/5/5 Spider Woman

203 Beast to feed 3/4/5 Teen Jean

• jtsings
    jtsings Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    edited February 2019

2. Carol/Wasp has been a blast to play with, even though my Wasp isn't finished at 5/3/3. When I can bring a third (like Simulator) I was using Medusa most of the time, but Bishop was an interesting option to make sure I can get the blue quickly for Buzzing. Any other good thirds for that pair?

If we're talking about simulator, these will give the opponent pretty easy retals but you could use Valkyrie as a third.  Since you'll be getting pretty high damage you'll trigger Bounty Hunter frequently (giving C4rol more black).  And if you do happen to take damage, either C4rol or Wasp, Val's Best Defense will put out more strike tiles to get buffed.  Good ol' Ir3n Fist is also a natural choice: first because he provides black for C4rol with his purple and his attack tile will get strengthened along with all the other strikes and protect tiles from Wasp and C4rol.
    4. My 4BH is on RBG, now 4/3/3. But not sure where to go with the 3BH, or in general, who to chase next after RBG.

I'd do G4mora, personally, because she goes very well with R4G and Medusa.  Her cheap stuns not only gets you out of a jam sometimes but it also adds attack and/or strike tiles (something that her black power does as well) that just keeps adding to the hurt they can inflict on the other team.   Plus she makes R4Gs strike tiles significantly stronger at the beginning of the match.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thanks for the notes on Peggy, but I'm guessing that it only applies when she's boosted?
    At level 271, the blue CDs only do 5372 damage. Even paired with Vulture's AoE, that's not going to take out many foes.
    That's 16,000 total damage spread out in three shots (meaning it can KO multiple foes) on top of stunning two characters for three turns. It's the highest amount of (unboosted) damage in the tier and more damage than a lot of 5-stars do.

Not sure what kind of foes you face but when I was a 4-star player in SCL 7, casting her blue pretty much heralded my victory. If it's PvP you mean, no unboosted 4-star is going to make it easy facing boosted 4s.
  • froggerjohn
    Right, for PvP, and foes are usually in the 20K range.

The relatively small number of champed 4*s means I'm usually fighting PvP with unboosted characters.
    That said, both Carol/Wasp and America/Ghost perform this feat pretty well for me.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    I champed Peggy late, and a baby champ Peggy isn't a game changer if you have other champs and are only getting fed to boosted 4* teams in PVP. I found Vulture/G4mora to be much more useful, since her stun is much cheaper. You can just stun lock the whole team very quickly.
  • froggerjohn
    Gamora would be nice to have, but a 0/4/4 will be hard to finish. I was kind of planning to use St4r-Lord as my eventual RBG extra Guardian. At least in the short term.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    edited February 2019
    G4mora's chief utility is the multi-character stun that only costs 6 blue. 4* Lord I don't really have any experience with, since i didn't get him fully covered until recently (even though he has 2 3* feeders still) and he has no levels on him. I can tell you that he is NEVER part of the Medusa/4ocket team in pvp, so make of that what you will. 

I think his niche is PVE, where goon enemies trigger his countdown spam reliably. 
  • jtsings
    jtsings Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    I was kind of planning to use St4r-Lord as my eventual RBG extra Guardian. At least in the short term.

He's ok (honestly I don't even use him in PVE when he's boosted) but what makes G4mora a great fit, beyond her awesome stun, is that G4mora and Medusa both offer sustainability through Medusa's heal when friendly special tiles are matched.  I rode this team for a long time in Simulator and PVE and honestly I can't remember when I had to use a health packs on any of them because Medusa's heal and their tile generation just melds into a very efficient self-sustaining high damage team.  If you happen to get a champed Yondu on your team, he's not as good as G4mora, but he does at least produce strike tiles and his blue can really cause a lot of damage and it continues to damage, if you can keep him from getting damage. He's also a better option on this team than G4mora on Alliance Boss events.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    I always ran it with 5* Lord myself, his match damage got it done real quick on offense. Doesn’t defend as well as G4mora though
  • froggerjohn
    I realize I was being a bit confusing, since all of the non-RBG questions were about PvP usage, but I was thinking mainly about PvE for RBG.