Surveil doesn't work sometimes

Options
Dkrone
Dkrone Posts: 34 Just Dropped In
I noticed over the weekend that the Surveil mechanic isn't working most of the time. I found this because I was using Connive\Concoct. I would use Concoct to destroy a creature via Surveil, but I noticed that the creature was not being placed in the battlefield afterwards. Then I would draw the creature the next turn. So it was not being placed in the graveyard (or at least not being removed from my library). I started paying attention and I noticed the destruction part of the Surveil would fail most of the time. I know for sure that I tried a Price of Fame as well. I tried to destroy two Gateway Plazas that were the first 2 of 4 cards. The next two turns I drew Gateway Plaza. I should have checked my graveyard to see if they went there as well, sorry I missed this. I just know they are not being removed from my library.

I will also say that occasionally during my tests it worked, so I don't know what the exact conditions for failure are. Maybe dev can take a look.
Tagged:

Comments

• stikxs
    stikxs Posts: 518 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Dkrone said:
    I would use Concoct to destroy a creature via Surveil, but I noticed that the creature was not being placed in the battlefield afterwards. Then I would draw the creature the next turn.
    This makes me think you have the surveil selection backwards. When the window pops up showing 4 cards, the ones you select (kind of a white border) are the ones that go to the graveyard. The unselected cards stay in the top of your library and will be the next ones drawn as long as nothing else changes it.

Here, Lazav will go to my graveyard, and the next 3 cards I would draw are Alpine Moon, BSZ, Discovery in that order. If you were expecting it to work this way and it isn't, that is really weird, as I've been using surveil in at least 50% of my playing since it came out and haven't had it not work at the basic level.
  • Dkrone
    Options
    Thanks for responding, I think we are talking about the same thing. Let me describe the two examples again to make sure.

1. Say I play Concoct on the first turn (and there is nothing in my graveyard obviously). The four cards shown are 3 non creatures and one creature. Previoulsy, if I selected the creature it would be placed in the graveyard as you described, then the creature would be moved to the battelfield via Concoct's text. Now when I do it, half the time the creature is not moved to the graveyard, therefore it is not placed in the battlefield.

2. After noticing this I payed attention the next time I surveiled with Price of Fame. I had Gateway Plaza, Gateway Plaza, [creature], [spell]. I selected both Gateway Plaza (because I did not want to draw them). Both cards should have been placed in the graveyard and I should have drawn a creature on my next turn. Instead, for the next two turns I drew Gateway Plaza then the creatures.

So to me, surviel did not work. I picked cards I wanted removed from my library and moved to the graveyard, however I still drew them like they were never removed from my library. Am I right in thinking this behavior is incorrect? I never know because of all the bugs, maybe the way it worked previoulsy was a bug!
  • stikxs
    stikxs Posts: 518 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Yea it sounds like it is just not working correctly at all for you. I've never seen that happen and I surveil all the time though. Only possible guess I could come up with is maybe Insidious Will was out and somehow the surveil box came up but then IW stopped the cast and nothing happened, but I can't imagine that really happening. Maybe try uninstalling and reinstalling the game? (write your uid down just in case anything goes awry) If there was any way to get video of a match doing it that may help, but that's not usually an option lol.
  • Dkrone
    Options
    Well I finally got a video of this happening. I must admit I tried several times before I got it. I don’t know if this has anything to do with it, but I see it most often with Angrath. In the video you can see me surveil and select Gateway Plaza. The next turn I should draw Murder, instead I get GP. Now the real question is why do I keep playing with Gateway Plaza...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=15SgLWeLo7kdUUV-FMGu_Hhj7D0Z5F_No
  • jtwood
    jtwood Posts: 1,285 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    @Dkrone I just had the same experience with Price of Fame, too. 

Selected the cards to discard, drew them anyway. 
  • Zummite
    Zummite Posts: 14 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Price of Fame Bug is already noticed and investigated
    It occurs when it target NON legendary creatures.
    Cards surveyed aren't put in graveyard.
  • Dkrone
    Options
    Cool, I didn’t see the bug. I know I’ve seen this with cards other than Price of Fame too, but if they track that one down maybe it will fix them all. Glad I’m not crazy haha, well in this conyext anyway.  :)