The Grand Experiment: Can you transition to 5*s pulling as you go as a progession-only F2P player?

Comments

• Daredevil217Daredevil217 Posts: 2,997 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah my Winter Soldier is 297. So another saved cover coming soon. 

I thought the goal of the experiment was to see if you could cover Latests without hoarding given your playstyle. If your goal is to get a 5* to pair with Robbie, then hoarding may be a better bet because you end up with special vaults all the time that may contain one of the characters you’re close to finishing. But I get that hoarding can be flat out boring. I’m looking at end game as the point where I’ll be able to break my hoard. 
  • ThaRoadWarriorThaRoadWarrior Posts: 5,119 Chairperson of the Boards
    I am trying to see if I can do it by spending as I go, but since that is totally RNG dependent, I like the idea of targeting something on purpose to beat the odds a little bit.

I don’t know what my endgame is, I should probably pick something and get off the treadmill...
    edited February 2019
    Bag-man Yellow from the thanos pvp got me a heroic token. Got a 3* Fist good for 15cp, put me over 30.

nova: Black 
    bonus hero
    chavez: Red (291)
    Closed out webbed wonder, got up over 50pts total from that somehow

Medusa: red
    ghost 4ider: green
    edited February 2019
    Got that crash token after sinking a little iso into Drax

ghost 4ider: red (289)

i ended up having to get 40 wins in the thanos pvp for that Nova. I can’t hang on to points for nothing y’all. 

Okoye is at lvl 327 now. I’m curious what a mid-level 5* wingperson might do for my float point in PvP. Probably nothing.

its been 19 pulls since my last 5*...
    edited February 2019
    Since I started pulling for Kingpin, I've had

73 pulls in latest (taking the 3 i took in Masked Vengeance out of the total).
    I've earned enough to have taken 76 pulls, which means I'm earning on average
    2.05 pulls/day 

7:73 were 5* (9.6%)
    1 5* bonus hero
    6 4* bonus heroes

Latest Legends cover spread:
    Kitty Pryde: 2/2/0 *no longer in latest

Cable: 1/3/1
    Kingpin: 0/0/2
    GE Doom: 0/0/0

So far, it does not seem like the experiment is working lol.

I guess I'm curious if i'll be seeing a rash of 5*s here shortly to bring my odds back up or not.

Should the experiment prove to be a failure, I might go back to spending into classics to increase my volume of 4* acquisition and try to bank on feeders.

• BlackBoltRocksBlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,972 Chairperson of the Boards
    I just went 18 pulls without a 5*. That streak ended with God Doom; that was my 4th Doom in fewer than 30 pulls, and I've gotten him four times in a row without interruptions from Cable or Fatpin.

I also kept track of how many Cables, Pins, and Dooms I got from tokens that contained them.

Cable: 8/193 (all Latest LT pulls)
    Fatpin: 5/129 (7 Fatpin debut store + 122 Latest LT pulls)
    Doom: 8/129 (10 Doom debut store + 119 Latest LT pulls)

RNG will be RNG.
    Sentry from S6 got me an LT

flaptain: blue

good for a couple CP that put me up enough to draw again

emma frost: yellow
    edited February 2019
    Hit full personal progression in S6

c4ge:yellow (279)

longest dry streak in recorded history...
    2* Bullseye got me a lvl 266 for Bulls3ye.

Kingpin: Blue

streak broken
    edited February 2019
    Thought about saving CP up for awhile in case of a special store, but then decided not to...for science. I figure I owe it to the experiment. So I had 36cp

God Emperor Doom: Blue

th odds still kind of “owe” me another one, but I don’t want to be greedy.
    10cp from the Star lord pvp,

God Emperor Doom: Blue

three in a row, thanks RNG!
    edited February 2019
    I have Okoye paid up to 375 now (she was at 300 when I champed GR:RR)- feels like that took forever. In case anyone is wondering what this partial-build Okoye looks like, its:

Okoye: 5/2/1 lvl 375 
    Y: 369
    R: 323
    B: 48
    P: 44
    G: 52
    Blk: 415
    TU: 208 (+90% damage)
    Crit: 4.5X

B: Wakanda Forever!: +736 damage/TU AP in the bank, base team up damage is increased by 90%
    Y: Indomitable Spirit: restore 667 health/tu on the board, then convert 2 basics to TU
    R: deal 3252 and destroy a row, dealing 650/enemy strongest color destroyed

In the Hooked on a Feeling pvp, I'm currently "floating" at 257 points, down from 600 last night. I'm at 15 wins, i'll probably need to hit 40 again if I want to get the Prof X in there. Even with the difficulties I've been having hanging on to points, I still finished the PVP season in 438th place. 

I'm at this point more interested in landing the PVP tokens at 850 than the 4* (unless it's someone I need, or an LT reward level), since they are very reliable at giving out 4* bonus heroes. My Chavez is up to 292 already-one more level and she'll be tied with Rogue as my highest naturally leveled 4*.

Trying to decide now what to do with my iso.

1) Level my eligible 5*s up to 375 - will this help or hurt my PVP situation? Keep in mind I'm not trying to place, really, i just want to be able to climb to 900, ideally without a shield. My options are:

Jessica Jones (4/2/2) 300/375
    Thano5 (5/0/2) 345/360
    DareDevil (5/1/1) 330/360
    5* Lord (5/1/3) 345/390
    Hawkeye (1/5/3) 315/390
    OML (3/1/3) 285/360
    Loki (3/4/1) 255/375
    Lumbercap (1/4/4) 255/390

I have a bunch more I could take to 330 (bolt, gambit, phoenix, goblin, surfer, etc), but I don't think that helps much.

2) Get back on champing 4*s. I have 37 un-champed 4*s, all but Namor, Ham, and Taskmaster are at 10 covers or more. 24 of those are at 209 already. I don't have too many top tier 4*s un-champed, so it's not really about filling in roster holes so much as it is widening my base of resource generation, and trying to make my life a little easier during 4* PVP events.  even useful baby champ 4*s don't really help me much in PVP - Ghost Rider is just too slow to win fast enough to hang onto points

It costs about as much to take a 5* from 255 to 375 as it does to take a 4* from 70 to 270, which is around 375k iso.  It costs roughly 1/3 of that to go from 70 to 209. I may alternate back and forth - I think getting JJ up to 375 is going to at least tell me if she's worth chasing further, and after that I can focus on 4*s for awhile.

edited February 2019
    10cp from Support Circuit got me to 25.

Domino: Red

Bonus Hero:
    Chavez: Green (lvl 293)

Also, it turns out Okoye DOES tank team up over GR:RR now.
    Magik seems like she’d help GRRR keep red on the board, but that team would be real slow.

guess I’m throwing iso into Bishop though...
    Hit 900 in Hooked on a Feeling without shielding in 34 matches. Switched from taking on big point teams to just teams I could beat relatively quickly. I had to do it all in one push from down under 400pts, since I really can’t float anymore.  Got a Bag-man for my trouble. 
    Crash LT got me
    c4ge:Red (lvl 280)
    kraven:Black (2cp)

Currently have 15cp
    Just as a bonus 4* check in, I've gotten 8 America Chavez covers since 1/23. I seem to be earning 0.4 Chavez covers/day.

If this acquisition rate holds, I'm 167.5 days away from a fully covered Jessica Jones (discounting any 5* bonus heroes I might get along the way). Am I doing that math correctly? 67 covers needed divided by 0.4?
  • TPF AlexisTPF Alexis Posts: 3,813 Chairperson of the Boards
    I also get 167.5 days from that calculation.
    Sounds like forever lol. Hopefully the experiment starts to show some results here in the meantime, so that I don't need to go half a year like this...