Is it worth trying to BH a 4/1/1 RBG?

froggerjohn
froggerjohn Posts: 373 Mover and Shaker
Current roster: (newest champ, Bishop)
https://mpq.gamependium.com/rosters/froggerjohn/revisions/137

I currently have the 4BH on my 4/1/1 RBG, and while I acknowledge that they would make the biggest difference for speed-clears in PvE, I'm really waffling on whether to commit to that path. The cover imbalance means that it's highly unlikely to get a finished (or even usable) spread without a lot of excess covers, and it might be better to use that valuable 4BH resource somewhere else.

I have five 4*s at 12 covers, and nine more that have 11. Examples:

5/3/4 Peggy
5/3/3 W4sp
5/3/3 Nico
4/5/2 XFDP
3/3/3 Rogue

Advice welcome.

Comments

• jtsings
    jtsings Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    edited January 2019
       I, personally, would just bonus hero 3* Psylocke to give you the 13th cover for Peggy.  No one else on your list is going to make PVE faster, A Guardian/Kitty(yellow covers)/possibly Nico) and R&G are really going to help in your speed the most on PVE.  Grocket and Medusa work okay together but not as well if you have a guardian or Kitty with yellow covers.  I personally would keep bonus heroing them and then Gamora, who I see is also struggling at a uneven cover distribution too, and just hope RNG is kind to you.   I sat with a 5/0/5 Red Hulk for several months but was finally able to finish him; so even the most dire situations can work out over time.  I think Wasp with your C4rol, Peggy, and Rogue are very solid characters worth champing, especially in PVP use (for me), none of them have changed my clear time like Gamora, Grocket and Medusa have since I've been in 4* land.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    You should keep Grocket as your 4-star BH. You have much better odds of pulling a yellow or a green over a blue, but all thee colors are still usable. You need a champed Rocket & Groot. They'll advance your roster competitively.

You also have an outside chance at seeing covers elsewhere so hoard a nest egg of resources:
    • PvE Event Vaults (9800HP will buy out half)
    • HfH deals (3600 HP)
    • Taco Vaults (these are a longshot, but taco tokens can be hoarded)
    Lastly, if you get them to 12 covers I wouldn't be afraid to drop 120CP to finish them off.
  • froggerjohn
    Good point about Psylocke. She was already second in the queue for that, and I went ahead and switched it.

Agreed that no one else will speed up the PvE, but there are other facets to the game as well, and I thought perhaps one of those avenues could be explored.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    Just a note about Nico + 4ocket vs Kitty + 4ocket: I have a 1/2/0 Kitty lvl 285 and a lvl 289 Nico. Kitty is boosting specials +100 every turn, and Nico at that level is boosting them by 76. If you want to play the tile boosting game, you are probably better off with C4rol/W4sp (stack up blue for That Buzzing Sound so you get a 1-turn countdown every turn) if you can't get a yellow cover for Kitty.
  • froggerjohn
    With some great luck and a 4BH, I now have a 4/2/3 RBG, and a much more positive outlook. Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions.

• froggerjohn
    Reconsidered my 3BH, putting it back on DP, and that paid off nicely.
    Newest PvP event has a Peggy cover in progression, which will finish her.
    And just got my XFDP champ reward from the 3BH, bringing him to 4/5/3.

One more cover, and I can make a Bishop/Peggy/XFDP.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,289 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2019
    Reconsidered my 3BH, putting it back on DP, and that paid off nicely.
    Newest PvP event has a Peggy cover in progression, which will finish her.
    And just got my XFDP champ reward from the 3BH, bringing him to 4/5/3.

One more cover, and I can make a Bishop/Peggy/XFDP.
    That team will be good for PvP but really slow for PvE. For PvE, I would champ IM40 if I were you and run him with Vulture/Chavez.  You have two really good batteries (IM40 and Vulture) that should allow you to collect AP fast to allow Chavez to shoot off her passives and build AP quickly for Vulture green nuke and IM40 red blasts.

The other natural team that you have is Marvel and Vulture.  Marvel should provide black AP to fuel Vulture when enemy matches generate AP.  Vulture by himself is enough to clear out teams with his green nuke.  
  • froggerjohn
    Right, until I get a suitable RBG, PvE teams are pretty much restricted to America Chavez. But I had been hearing things about Bishop on defense in PvP, so I'm keeping an eye on that for something to float with. (And likely still using either America or Carol/Wasp to climb).

IM40 is champed, but by the time I'd be able to collect yellow and wait for recharge, that's already past what would be considered a fast clear.

Most of the time, I bring AP boosts to jump-start America with the advantage. So I just take America/5e to capitalize on the crits. Hood is usually the third when I can take three characters, although some mook-only nodes (when they only generate AP in a small number of colors) it's worth taking Thanos.
  • froggerjohn
    My RBG is at 5/3/4 now.

Any thoughts on buying the last RBG cover for 100CP?

On one hand, the 4BH is likely to finish them anyway, maybe as early as the next LT rotation pull for the 5e.
    But obviously no guarantees when RNG is involved. And Dormammu even hinted that it might be worth finishing them with CP earlier in the thread.

• Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think the buy-a-cover with CP option is for more dire situations, like the dreaded 5/5/1 builds. I've purchased 4-star covers with CP and don't regret it, but that was also before there were bonus heroes. You have pretty good odds that your next grocket cover is usable.

That being said, there is also a certain satisfaction to just getting it done with and moving on. And you do have a reduced cost.

One more thing I'll mention is the Favorites Legends store currently running. There has never been a more attractive store in this game's 5+ years. I don't know what your CP hoard looks like, but if you have any desire of ever covering Kitty, Okoye, or Thor, that's where I'd be spending my CP right now.
  • froggerjohn
    I don't have much CP, since I normally spend it on Classics. I may not even be able to get to 100 before the CP offer ends, but I get what you're saying about using that option when you only need one color, and the BH odds are lower.

I'm sure those with a hoard were ecstatic about the Favorites Legends store though.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    If you have loads of HP, the Popular Demand store has some excellent 4* options at greatly improved odds too. There is no daily deal though.
  • froggerjohn
    Thanks for the note. I spent my HP hoard on the HfH with the RBG cover, so not enough left to get a reasonable chance on this one.

Ended up not buying the last cover for 100CP, which felt like the "correct" choice.
    First time I get a #11 placement, I'll probably curse that decision.  :)
    It's all good though.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,576 Chairperson of the Boards
    R4G is boosted for Thanos boss event so you should enjoy that Froggerjohn even without a champed Rabbit & Tree!
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    My RBG is at 5/3/4 now.

Any thoughts on buying the last RBG cover for 100CP?

On one hand, the 4BH is likely to finish them anyway, maybe as early as the next LT rotation pull for the 5e.
    But obviously no guarantees when RNG is involved. And Dormammu even hinted that it might be worth finishing them with CP earlier in the thread.

RBG = 4* Rocket and Groot, yes? The "B" is confusing me a bit.

Anyway, they should be coming up as a PvP reward sometime next week so it might not be a bad idea to wait a bit and see if you can get a useful cover that way.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    I think that's Rocket+Baby Groot? I always just use 4ocket or Rock3t

• Quebbster
    I think that's Rocket+Baby Groot? I always just use 4ocket or Rock3t

I see. That makes sense, I guess. I just use Grocket, it's so rare I talk about the Three-star version you can just assume it's the fourstar.

(Also 4ocket is a name that should not be read out loud in civilized Company).

• froggerjohn
    Yeah, RBG = Rocket and Baby Groot. It was the first non-ambiguous abbreviation I heard for them, and seemed to stick.

Very curious about the statement:
    > Anyway, they should be coming up as a PvP reward sometime next week

Is that based on being used in the boss event, or ???
    That's really great news, and a 66% chance of finishing them!
  • Quebbster
    Yeah, RBG = Rocket and Baby Groot. It was the first non-ambiguous abbreviation I heard for them, and seemed to stick.

Very curious about the statement:
    > Anyway, they should be coming up as a PvP reward sometime next week

Is that based on being used in the boss event, or ???
    That's really great news, and a 66% chance of finishing them!

No, the PvP fourstars go in alphabetical order (with the occassional break for a featured 4* PvP like Cyclops last week and War Machine soon). We are currently going through the Rs.

The Guardians of the Galaxy are Always boosted for Come and Get Me, that has nothing to do with the upcoming rewards.

• froggerjohn
    Oh Cool, I never noticed that pattern. That can definitely help in the planning of 4BH, etc!

Thanks!