Please provide information on mastering quickly!!!

Comments

• Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Brigby said:
    Tremayne said:
    Brigby said:
    Hi Everyone. I've passed on the additional inquiries about the player level and whether there is a maximum level. Since it is 8pm in Brazil, it is likely the team is out of the office already, but I'll be sure to provide their response when I receive it.

Did we I get an answer to this question?
    I ideally wanted to get the full information of the system from the devs, because I know how many different aspects this answer is tied to, but I also didn't want to keep players waiting too long. Please note that I'm answering this question in a vacuum, and once I get more details from the team, then I can answer any subsequent questions.

Q: Is there a maximum level?
    A: No. There is no maximum Player Level.
    *facepalm*
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    Brigby said:
    Tremayne said:
    Brigby said:
    Hi Everyone. I've passed on the additional inquiries about the player level and whether there is a maximum level. Since it is 8pm in Brazil, it is likely the team is out of the office already, but I'll be sure to provide their response when I receive it.

Did we I get an answer to this question?
    I ideally wanted to get the full information of the system from the devs, because I know how many different aspects this answer is tied to, but I also didn't want to keep players waiting too long. Please note that I'm answering this question in a vacuum, and once I get more details from the team, then I can answer any subsequent questions.

Well. That answers the underlying question whether we should feel good or bad about the level transition with a "very likely bad"

We're competitive. There's a rather high number to reach, I want to get there. And I want no one ahead of me because they invested fewer time in the past and lost fewer xp in the transition. I don't care if I'd end up on a level needing 30k XP if this was changed- I'd be okay with having my cards and level reset so I can reach the actual max level. That's not rational but very à very obvious reaction you should have had an answer for since the beginning.
  • Tremayne
    Tremayne Posts: 1,607 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thank you for replying @Brigby

I can understand if you are a bit hesitant to answer questions regarding mastering, there are a lot of frustration concerning this aspect of the game right now.

I really hope for more input on this subject soon as my original ban on mastering is still in effect. I know that is my decision but without more information it is very unclear how to proceed.
  • Brakkis
    Brakkis Posts: 777 Critical Contributor
    Brigby said:

I dont even know how to respond to this.
  • IM_CARLOS
    IM_CARLOS Posts: 640 Critical Contributor
    Well, with this Answer the transition is still silly. To have chance to level up it don't have enough unmastered cards. There are not enough unmastered card out there, well maybe with the next set. But I promise: not another dime if devs did not change this retroactively. 

This is a wrong turn for the wrong player-group: the payer. 
  • mayor
    mayor Posts: 57 Match Maker
    We all tend to agree on this. There's nothing wrong mastering being reflected on player level. You have less cards - you have lower level - you get the rewards in time. Even if I haven't mastered my cards, I'd be ok with someone having higher level because he spent more time in the game. My guess is devs didn't want us to get massive amount of rewards at once. I would consider getting 20 boosters a thank you for playing and supporting the game for so long and I don't think anyone would object this. Besides possibly I won't get any new cards anyway.

Today I mastered almost all my cards and I'm unable to get another level. That's more than unfair knowing people that started a month ago will go past my level and way beyond before next patch lands.
  • Tremayne
    I don’t understand how they dare mastering anything as this time.

I have no clue what mastering does and how level impacts the game in the future.
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Tremayne said:
    I don’t understand how they dare mastering anything as this time.

I have no clue what mastering does and how level impacts the game in the future.
    People see levels and want to gain them.  They see what the rewards are and want them.

I've gone up a level by "accident" by just playing around with my new cards.

Sure the smart thing to do is wait, but why should we have to?  Its a game; I want to play it.
  • Tremayne
    @Mburn7 - I understand that you accidentally go up a level, because you want to play with the new toys. That you shouldn’t have to wait with.

it is the statement “people are enjoying mastering” that I worry over. One of the greatest pitfalls in MTGPQ (one I myself have fallen into) is that you tier up to early without a sufficiently big library and pool of PW available.

If levelling means nothing then no problem with overshooting your level. However, if levelling does have an impact on events, prizes or opponents, then you may be caught out and unable to recover.

Being to low can be remedied (though the current design may limits the speed of doing so), simply by mastering cards.

this is why I don’t understand that players dare to master cards again.
  • soultwist
    soultwist Posts: 325 Mover and Shaker
    I'm enjoying mastering and I am just not afraid of any consequences.  
  • Feden
    Feden Posts: 79 Match Maker
    I'm definitely in the "enjoying mastering" group as well.  About to level up for 8th time since they were added.  While I was admittedly in the group that benefited most from the implementation so far, I'm not concerned that these could end up hurting me.  Worst case I may miss relatively few free rewards or get to play harder matches?

I also have to very strongly disagree on the points made about tiering up early being a "great pitfall."  I hit Plat within 2 months of starting last year (while F2P) and would have easily done so sooner if I had joined a coalition my first month and had those rewards.  The increased rewards from PVE and daily events more than make up for the rare tuned combo deck you actually face where Greg actually plays decently.
  • ManiiNames
    ManiiNames Posts: 213 Tile Toppler
    edited February 2019
    I have a pretty big collection, and am enjoying mastering.  Gone from 37.5 to 43.5 so far.
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2019
    Disclaimer : my calculations that come up now are purely based on educated guesses for anything above level 46, but my estimations turned out to be quite close to the data that has been proven.

The current maximum level (based on all xp of all cards released) will be around level 100,assuming the trend continues as I interpret it. Levels 80-120 are within a not unlikely range.. But hey, if you keep quiet I'll go with what I can calculate. I will update my calculations once I get more data. So let's just assume level 100.

I initially was put to lvl 41 that's 15% of my actual XP (even less, since I didn't look at partly mastered cards). With a 100% transition, I'd have been at around lvl 86 (+/-, you get the point).
    I now added all my unmastered cards with the current XP level and calculated my current cap: level 48. If I owned all cards, it would be in the 60's

I can only reach around 2/3 of the max level.

So, my conclusions :
    Rewards : we only looked at the missing rewards from our actual transferred level, but not the rewards we missed because the XP was nerfed. I won't do the math, but that's around another 20 boosters, at least 100 gold, some pink and enough runes for 3-4 deck slots. I'm still not against the decision to tier the rewards for the transition... But you know... Keeping stuff secret that we'll have to find out by crowdsearch makes me upset, so I'll add fodder for others. 

To the rest--the part that matters to me - if the player level will ever have an impact to the game, that's a problem. If it'll be used for matchmaking, I'll be at an unfair advantage. If rewards will be tied to it, I'm (and others in my shoes) at a disadvantage. Regardless, the level is a very small RPG thingy in this game. If there is a level, I want to reach the max level possible. I can't, for weird reasons.
    I already submitted a ticket, we'll see how it goes.
  • Tremayne
    Fair enough you do not fear the pitfalls. Having been here for years, I do not share your optimism - at all.

@Feden- rising up through the tiers to early is one of the things veteran players have consistently warned new players about. Apparently, it pops up regularly (I assume in coalition talk).

I assume that player level must have an impact, because why else develop it, when there are so many other problems that needs developers time and attention? On that basis, I simply request more information before proceeding.
  • ShaarkBiite
    ShaarkBiite Posts: 39 Just Dropped In
    edited February 2019
    If card mastery = XP = level, it shouldn't matter when you achieved said mastery.

The transition should have credited veteran players for all the XP for all the cards they mastered before the transition. It's only fair.

Edited to add: It would be different if card mastery were used to inform player level, then was discarded as a means of leveling, but that's not what happened.