*** Doctor Octopus (Otto Octavius) ***

1161718192022»

Comments

• Marc_Spector
    Marc_Spector Posts: 622 Critical Contributor
    edited June 2015
    donietsche wrote:
    though it's obvious that green would experience a massive downgrade from going to 4 to 3

This. While I do think his green is overcosted by at least 1-3 AP, I don't think I'd give up the 2nd turn of stun (from 4 covers) for the marginal damage increase from 4->5 black. I've been indecisively switching my Doc Ock spec around like crazy these past months when covers pop up, and I do agree with others in this thread that each ability should be at 4, with the 5th cover up to you -- although I do think 5/4/4 likely wins out in the current meta, not just against Carnage but any other character who can create a lot of special tiles.
  • Azoic
    Azoic Posts: 269 Mover and Shaker
    Add in SG to the oct/carnage duo. Yellow to mitigate attack tiles and purple to one shot
  • is there any new perspective on this tinykitty now that Carnage is alive?

Or same thoughts about builds?
  • Blahahah
    Blahahah Posts: 738 Critical Contributor
    With the recent addition of Ant-man to the game, he is surprisingly decent as a semi-counter thanks to his ability to more or less negate the big advantages Ant-man provides, being his strike tiles, his tile stealing, and the Pym particles trap. You'll need some kind of a cover (I personally use Collossus since he can force his way up front and soaks like a champ) or a cloak (professor X is decent in combo I think, or invisible woman) to ensure Doc Oct isn't just getting **** out in the first little bit, but as long as you can protect him and maybe funnel some blue his way, he can absolutely turn the entire fight on its head every few matches.

I've been playing around with some ideas, and I also think that perhaps pairing him with some kind of strike generator (patch wolvie, 3* bullseye (covers your purple, lets you invest in a 5/5/3 without too much shame, and also lets you plink off any tiles you may miss with manipulation) maybe Sentry) and you can really put in some pressure with the In2In.

Otherwise I think 5/4/4 is his better set-up. I sometimes run lazy Thor alongside so I can just plop the 5/5/3 and let LT use his green to pump the AoE, his green is just so... underwhelming.

The only other color to cover is purple most of the time since R/Y/G is a common set-up for most characters, though if you're using the colossus idea then you'll have Red, Blue, Green, Yellow, and Black covered so you'll need to cover purple (and potentially green if you don't wanna use Docs), so I can openly recommend someone like maybe Grey Widow.

Works well because you can keep the heavy hitters tucked behind, and regardless of who you fastball most of the time it'll be great for you. Widow provides some serious power, Doc prevents a big set-up from the opponent, and the Iron Giant just soaks and stokes.

Another idea I had (once upon a time) was using Kamila Khan since she can make Colossus even tankier, but you take a big hit in power that widow would normally provide.

Anyways idk, he seems better than people are letting on since the recent additions all function around strike, jumping in with protects, or being Ant-man. Any thoughts now that the game is moving forward with the newest 4* addition?
  • OzarkBoatswain
    OzarkBoatswain Posts: 689 Critical Contributor
    Bug: Armed and Dangerous gives you green AP even if the enemy's green pool is empty. In other words, it reduces the enemy team's green by 1 (or 2) and then gives you 1 (or 2) green.
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    I feel almost dirty for saying this considering how much negativity Doc Oc gets on here but he's becoming a favourite of mine in PVE. Switching enemy tiles, then strengthening them and finally moving the board to make more matches. I just dont understand whats not to love about that?
  • Gowaderacer
    Gowaderacer Posts: 310 Mover and Shaker
    I feel almost dirty for saying this considering how much negativity Doc Oc gets on here but he's becoming a favourite of mine in PVE. Switching enemy tiles, then strengthening them and finally moving the board to make more matches. I just dont understand whats not to love about that?

I agree but he is a very niche character. His green is pretty awful for the amount of ap it uses and his blue is a much more expensive version of Loki's purple that has the potential to do 0 damage unless the board is filled with enemy tiles. I do like using him when he is boosted with Carnage just for fun in pve though.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    He's a monster against the right opponents, and just too expensive for anyone else.
  • Nick441234
    I wouldn't use him against opponents who fight back, but against nodes who just drop counter tiles, he's fantastic! I use him with Blade and you soon start building up incredible damage each turn.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Switching enemy tiles, then strengthening them
    Does doc ock do that??
  • Nick441234
    Thought his green strengthened tiles?
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thought his green strengthened tiles?
    Ah right, easy to ignore his green.
  • Doc Ock has been a PVE staple of mine for some time now. I use him with Blade and Falcon, and this trio does serious damage against Goon teams.

Until my Doc was fully covered I used CMags, Blade, Falcon. Supplanting Doc instead of CMags allows me to leave the board flooded with red tiles to feed Blade's "Thirst" attack.

I won't go into minute detail, but picture a board full of strike tiles from Blade strengthening the attack tiles you gain from Doc everytime you match a Goon CD or strike tile. Add into the mix a couple of Blade's "Enemies Closer" attack tiles, and all of the above gaining strength from Falcon everytime you match a yellow.

It's a lot of fun.
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,154 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm thinking of building him up and championing him next, for variety. Mind you, I still have several solid 3-star characters at lower levels and unchampioned, including She-Hulk, Falcon, and heck, Loki. But I'm thinking of championing him and Bullseye, namely for PVE fun.
  • JohnnyBlood
    JohnnyBlood Posts: 85 Match Maker
    mega ghost wrote:
    I'm thinking of building him up and championing him next, for variety. Mind you, I still have several solid 3-star characters at lower levels and unchampioned, including She-Hulk, Falcon, and heck, Loki. But I'm thinking of championing him and Bullseye, namely for PVE fun.

During Prodigal Sun, I used IM40 and Patch during Doc Ock's essentials and it was a blast. I put Patch at 5/5/3. Recharge. Berserk, Berserk, Best There Is, Manipulate. Deadsies.
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,154 Chairperson of the Boards
    mega ghost wrote:

During Prodigal Sun, I used IM40 and Patch during Doc Ock's essentials and it was a blast. I put Patch at 5/5/3. Recharge. Berserk, Berserk, Best There Is, Manipulate. Deadsies.

Yeah, if you're just playing him for his blue and black, he seems like a great pairing with Patch. 'Manipulation' aside, I think it's his 'Insult to Injury' that I'm excited about, especially in matches where you're always matching away enemy countdowns. At Max Level: Adds 2 strength 139 Attack tiles... that's devastating for a passive against waves of goons. In PvE it's especially devastating when combined with 'Manipulation,' as you're not only moving the board around, destroying enemy special tiles, doing damage for said special tiles, and getting attack tiles as an extra bonus on top of it, but the tile swapping generates even more AP matches, special tile matches, and cascades when you're lucky. In PvP he seems like a brutal foil to Mohawk Storm, Carnage, Falcon, Patch, Blade, Spider-Man, Bullseye, Daken, Dr. Doom, Human Torch, Magneto... literally any character that generates special tiles.

If 'Manipulation' cost a couple of AP less and 'Armed and Dangerous' did a little more damage, he'd be a top 5 3-star character, in my opinion.
  • Nick441234
    I really like Doc Oc, for the reasons mentioned. He can be so good to take to fights against goons and is the reason why he's one of the first ones I championed. I dont tend to take him to the party against characters that have turns but you can be sure he's coming out when the muscles turn up.
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,105 Chairperson of the Boards
    Posted this in the Prowler discussion, but it seemed like it might be a good fit here as well:

Did anyone else notice in the Prowler required round today that, if 3-star Doc Ock matches a special tile from his team that Prowler has fortified, Doc Ock generates his special attack tiles as though he has matched a special tile from your team?  While the fortification is yours, the tile still belongs to the enemy.  Is this the way it should work?