New Year Contest - Winners! (1/17/19)

Options
Brigby
Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
Hi Everyone,

Last week we asked the following question for our New Year Contest:
  • Which 5 Non-Origins Planeswalkers were the top most played in 2018, and in which order of popularity?
We had written down the Planeswalkers at the time we announced the contest, and the correct answer is...
  1. Nicol Bolas, God-Pharaoh
  2. Kiora, Master of the Depths
  3. Koth of the Hammer
  4. Sorin, Grim Nemesis
  5. Elspeth, Sun's Champion
And the two players with the most points are...
  • 1st: @garycslwith the only 20-point guess!
  3. Koth of the Hammer
  4. Samut, the Tested
  5. Elspeth, Sun's Champion
  • 2nd: @KenCaliri with the first 19-point guess! (Posted at 1/9/19 00:36 PT)
    3. Koth of the Hammer
    4. Elspeth, Sun's Champion
    5. Nahiri, the Harbinger
    Congratulations to our 2 winners! Please send me a private forum message by 1/24/19 with your name, t-shirt size, and postal address to redeem your prize! (Please note that if you do not message me by then, we will consider you to have forfeited your prize, and it will go to the player with the next closest guess.)

Thank you so much to everyone that submitted guesses! Keep an eye out next month when we reveal our February forum contest!

Comments

• JopeX37
      JopeX37 Posts: 138 Tile Toppler
      Options
      How on Earth was Sorin #4?
    • Tilwin90
      Tilwin90 Posts: 662 Critical Contributor
      Options
      Indeed everything short of sorin makes perfect sense. Why in the world do people play the vampire in stone so heavily to begin with? 🙄

I guessed samut would be higher especially thanks to HoD but then again we got only one event where she was mandatory. 
    • Tremayne
      Tremayne Posts: 1,612 Chairperson of the Boards
      Options
      Sorin Is a bit of a surprise for me also.

if I were to speculate perhaps since you can make some great vampire decks and Ixalan provided that opportunity?
    • Mburn7
      Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
      Options
      I guess people like to run Sorin in Emrakul's Corruption and Terrors because of the Vampire shenanigans (I know I have a couple times).

Either that or Sorin is somehow even more underrated than I thought.

Still, congrats to the winners!
    • OmegaLolrus
      OmegaLolrus Posts: 253 Mover and Shaker
      Options

Well, I played a LOT of games with Sorin... trying to figure out what his deal was. Heck, I'm still trying to figure it out... though I think I probably played more games with Jace1 trying to figure out how I liked it (spoilers, lots of Surveil).

But that aside, congratulations to the astute forumites!

• Gabrosin
      Gabrosin Posts: 259 Mover and Shaker
      Options
      At what point in 2018 did they nerf cycling?

Because before that point, Sorin was a good way to play Faith of the Devoted and Cast Out in the same deck, which was a pretty big deal for trying to beat better Legacy decks without a lot of cards.  In fact he was (and still is) the only way to bring Faith of the Devoted onto a white node.

It would be interesting to see how much of his usage was from early in the year versus late in the year.

• Froggy
      Froggy Posts: 511 Critical Contributor
      Options
      I’ll admit, I am surprised with Sorin. But I’ve recently played over 100 games with him, testing that Totem Pole PM and Divine Visitation... Have yet to lose a game. But I’m still surprised he is ranked so high...

congrats to the winners!
    • Kinesia
      Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
      Options
      I play Sorin all the time in Rising Tensions now, using Vampire forebearers to play 3 creatures < 3 power and then start grabbing Vona's instead for the >6! (I also tried the same in Huatli and Nahiri but Sorin is actually better because of the lifelink and Azor's Gateway... That support and Legion's Landing are his 2 favourite toys...)
    • garycsl
      garycsl Posts: 23 Just Dropped In
      Options
      I made my list based on which PW's I faced the most (though I have missed 1/3 of the playing time in 2018). That was a lot of luck to place Elspeth in the right position or I would be already out of the competition :p
      Not that surprise that Sorin came in front of the other popular PWs as he's unique in the color combination. His abilites also create a viable of deck strategies that worth trying (but maybe not actually playing). Also good at dealing with take x+ damage objective, not to mention his affinity to vampires.
    • Brigby
      Options
      Hi Everyone. Unfortunately the original first place winner does not live within the contiguous United States, therefore the prize will be extended to the next runner up, which is @Serakiel with the following guess at 1/9/19 15:08 PT:
      • Nicol Bolas - God Pharaoh 
      • Kiora 
      • Koth 
      • Huatli - Radiant Champion 
      • Sorin - Grim Nemesis 
      Congratulations! Please private message me with your contact information and t-shirt size!
    • Tremayne
      Tremayne Posts: 1,612 Chairperson of the Boards
      Options
      Congrats to the winners
    • Brigby
      Options
      Hi Everyone. Unfortunately our runner up winner was unable to reach out to us within a week's time, therefore we are passing the reward along to the next runner up which is @Jonster78 with the following guess:
      • Kiora, Master of the Depths
      • Nicol Bolas, God Pharaoh
      • Koth of the Hammer
      • Elspeth, Sun's Champion
      • Teferi, Hero of Dominaria
      Congratulations! Please private message me with your mailing information and t-shirt size, so we can send you your reward!
    • KenCaliri
      KenCaliri Posts: 16 Just Dropped In
      Options
      Pics of the shirt, very cool, just wish it had the magic logo or something to associate it to the game

Front
      https://m.imgur.com/gallery/VTvs1GU

Back
      https://m.imgur.com/gallery/yzuU7bf