We want Tamiyo! W/U/G fo-evah!
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,226 Chairperson of the Boards
    starfall said:
    Brokhan.
    I love this. Let's make it so.
  • khurram
    khurram Posts: 1,077 Chairperson of the Boards
    Love it. This is even better than getting tamiyo.
  • arNero
    arNero Posts: 358 Mover and Shaker
    That measly 1st ability is way offset by the third. And being a 3c with Bolas1's mana gain and pretty decent health, yeah, I guess I agree with the doomsayers who are saying this guy is bloody broken.

Did they not learn the lesson from the two Bolases that having more colors in this game is an ADVANTAGE and not a DETRIMENT? -_- This isn't paper Magic for crying out loud...
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    arNero said:
    That measly 1st ability is way offset by the third. And being a 3c with Bolas1's mana gain and pretty decent health, yeah, I guess I agree with the doomsayers who are saying this guy is bloody broken.

Did they not learn the lesson from the two Bolases that having more colors in this game is an ADVANTAGE and not a DETRIMENT? -_- This isn't paper Magic for crying out loud...
    I'm not understanding your point.  Of course they know more colors make a walker better here, that's why they are so much more expensive to purchase (cash or crystals) and level up.  What, should they only design weak stuff that nobody will want to use?

And as for the abilities, of course the third ability is way more powerful than the first, that's how it is supposed to work.  The third is ridiculous as well, of course, but it isn't the craziest we've seen.
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    Theros said:
    When karn and Boland came out, ppl were quick to label them as broken.

And they were right!
    Mburn7 said:
    arNero said:

I'm not understanding your point.  Of course they know more colors make a walker better here, that's why they are so much more expensive to purchase (cash or crystals) and level up.  What, should they only design weak stuff that nobody will want to use?

And as for the abilities, of course the third ability is way more powerful than the first, that's how it is supposed to work.  The third is ridiculous as well, of course, but it isn't the craziest we've seen.
    I
     think you really missed his point a bit.. As I understand it, the more colors a pw has, the weaker his abilities should be compared to others to balance out the advantage. Also, the abilities are likely meant in comparison with other abilities of the same level - like Vraska 2s first ability is weak compared to nissa 1s first ability, or God pharaoh bolas ultimate is weak compared to ravagers ult. 

Btw, apart from the balance issues I find he's a very well designed pw.
  • Mburn7
    Theros said:
    When karn and Boland came out, ppl were quick to label them as broken.

And they were right!
    Mburn7 said:
    arNero said:

I
     think you really missed his point a bit.. As I understand it, the more colors a pw has, the weaker his abilities should be compared to others to balance out the advantage. Also, the abilities are likely meant in comparison with other abilities of the same level - like Vraska 2s first ability is weak compared to nissa 1s first ability, or God pharaoh bolas ultimate is weak compared to ravagers ult. 

Btw, apart from the balance issues I find he's a very well designed pw.
    Ah.  That makes sense.  This is what I get for posting early in the morning lol.

And saying he's a well designed walker except for the balancing issues is like saying someone is a good person despite all the people they've murdered.  I get what you mean, but it doesn't quite feel right saying it.
  • NinjaE
    NinjaE Posts: 213 Tile Toppler
    I think he is misnamed... should be Sarkhan the Quitebroken.
  • mrixl2520
    mrixl2520 Posts: 240 Tile Toppler
    While I'm excited for a new 3 color PW, I'm really confused why where getting Sarkhan and not Tamiyo. 
  • Mburn7
    mrixl2520 said:
    While I'm excited for a new 3 color PW, I'm really confused why where getting Sarkhan and not Tamiyo. 
    I think we all are.  Only reason I can think of is they realized WUG would be the most stupidly overpowered color combo possible and figured this would be better.  I just hate how they never explain any of their decisions.
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,226 Chairperson of the Boards
    Mburn7 said:
    mrixl2520 said:
    I think we all are.  Only reason I can think of is they realized WUG would be the most stupidly overpowered color combo possible and figured this would be better.  I just hate how they never explain any of their decisions.

They might be saving Tamiyo for a Duel Decks event.
  • James13
    James13 Posts: 665 Critical Contributor
    From a balance perspective you would think tri-colors would have the least impactful abilities whereas the mono-colors would have the most impactful.  Simply because of the huge advantage that color access provides.

Oh well.
  • Tilwin90
    Tilwin90 Posts: 662 Critical Contributor
    Yet Bolas1 has access to intrinsic removal thanks to his first, Bolas2 can lock an opponent out with the flip ultimate and Karn generates huge card advantage and can generate an indestructible 12/12 that also empowers supports. Sarkhan has a built in deploy ultimate and a karn like first. At least they learned this time not to make the effect last forever. 
  • Falizar
    Falizar Posts: 70 Match Maker
    Quits* this is too much sighs*
  • Theros
    Theros Posts: 490 Mover and Shaker
    I'm really in love with this sharkan. His stats makes spending on him justified or win-win.
    Buying this PW and have it nerfed later would be irresponsible. That would imply they haven't learned from the lotus bait incident. I think they know what they are doing; they're not going to tarnish confidence in buying their products.

• Stalker
    Stalker Posts: 141 Tile Toppler
    madwren said:
    Mburn7 said:
    mrixl2520 said:

They might be saving Tamiyo for a Duel Decks event.
    If tamiyo is more desired than sarkhan it makes complete sense from a business perspective to sell the least desired items first if when doing the reverse could impact sales of said items. 
    So say they release tamiyo instead, would you still be as tempted to buy sarkhan when he finally pops? Usually find there is a reason for everything and marketings job is to empty your wallet. Human spending behavior is predictable. Not always spot on but more times than not. 
    I personally feel he is new and fresh and really just a new tool for the box for specific needed jobs as I’m sure if released tamiyo would be too. 
  • OmegaLolrus
    OmegaLolrus Posts: 253 Mover and Shaker
    He ain't what I wanted, but I do like Sarkhan. I'll take 'im.
  • Theros
    Theros Posts: 490 Mover and Shaker
    He ain't what I wanted, but I do like Sarkhan. I'll take 'im.

That's the spirit. Sarkhan has built in deploy which tamiyo will only access in legacy.
    Basically Sarkhan will be stronger in standard while tamiyo will be stronger in legacy. She gets after access to deploy while Sarkhan has to build the loyalty