Mr. Fantastic (Reed Richards) Character Rework (1/9/19)

Comments

• himatako
    himatako Posts: 269 Mover and Shaker
    I had fun with the new powers for a while in his event, but it stopped being fun when you realize that there aren't that many team members that you can team him up with, unlike his previous version. 

And fighting Vulture is worse now. Before that, I can always prepare his blue so that I can remove Vulture's green CD tile when it's going to be hard to match it away before he lands and deals AOE damage. Not being able to do that anymore is frustrating. 

His yellow is terrible unless you use Carnage. Otherwise you can't get it fire that many times and once it's fired the power is random *sigh*

Imaginaut sucks even when I create 4 Imaginaut repeater tiles on the board by pairing him with 3* Iron Fist as a black battery. You'd think with a cost as high as 10 AP, Imaginaut would be something scary that the opponent doesn't want you to put on the board. I spammed 4 of them on the board and I still lose because it was creating charge tiles that none of my team members can use, or locking the tiles when Sue isn't there to make use of it. Even when they create strike tiles and attack tiles, it wasn't spammy enough to save me in that match. 

The only fun thing about him is his blue nuke, but I'd rather want the old blue without nuke and boost the old Imaginaut's damage. Perhaps making its base damage increases for each Imaginaut's tile on the board, since it was so fast and easy to create one in his previous version.

I tried using him in SIM, to see what he's like when he's not boosted, and I was disappointed. So much for him being flexible when his team members are very limited. 
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,296 Chairperson of the Boards
    Another expression of disappointment that his blue was changed. I liked that it was one of the best defensive powers in the game (which are more often than not, really terrible as this is a game of speed and endurance so any power that doesn't accelerate the end of a match is irrelevant, something that I've never seen the devs acknowledge).

Moreover, it was one of only three powers in the game (one of them being in 3* land) with the ability to swap tiles, a strangely unique ability in a game with "puzzle" in the title, where you'd expect more powers to affect the board in precise ways.

His new blue is not bad, and yellow and black are definitely improvements over his old powers, but the loss of the original blue seems almost like a too big cost to pay for it all. 

Please leave good abilities be, and save up these designs of new abilities to rework truly bad powers of which there are heaps in the game. Mr. F's new blue replacing instead any power from, say, Kraven or Emma, would have been a better use of that design.
  • MarcusGraves
    MarcusGraves Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    edited January 2019
    Pylgrim said:
    Another expression of disappointment that his blue was changed. I liked that it was one of the best defensive powers in the game (which are more often than not, really terrible as this is a game of speed and endurance so any power that doesn't accelerate the end of a match is irrelevant, something that I've never seen the devs acknowledge).

Moreover, it was one of only three powers in the game (one of them being in 3* land) with the ability to swap tiles, a strangely unique ability in a game with "puzzle" in the title, where you'd expect more powers to affect the board in precise ways.

His new blue is not bad, and yellow and black are definitely improvements over his old powers, but the loss of the original blue seems almost like a too big cost to pay for it all. 

Please leave good abilities be, and save up these designs of new abilities to rework truly bad powers of which there are heaps in the game. Mr. F's new blue replacing instead any power from, say, Kraven or Emma, would have been a better use of that design.
    Saddest part is that old Flexibility worked great with Shuri because of her passive, and with the new cost of 10 on his black, the cost reduction would of been nice.

Oh well, throw that pairing out the window now too.

Black the more I look at it also has too many effects going on. The tile locking is honestly more annoying than an obvious cute gimmick to have him pair with Invisible Woman, but that pairing is no where near good enough to warrant it. Remove the tile locking and the AP generation in team's strongest color, and lower the cost down to 8, bam done.
  • AardvarkPepper
    AardvarkPepper Posts: 239 Tile Toppler

Pylgrim said:

1) Swap tiles?  Quicksilver, old Mr Fantastic and who?  Not 4* Hulk or 3* Magneto or 3* Loki, you mean designated rather than random right?

2)  Yellow and black "improvements"?  Well if you're going aggro for yellow then sure, though it's random so requires specific teams along with all the other stuff he demands, but the healing's way worse.  So I guess it depends on your perspective really.

And as to black, a 10-cost random is an improvement?  I mean okay, the old 7 cost chip damage boosted by Strikes wasn't the greatest, but to say it's an improvement, how are you using it?

I mean yeah if you have a championed 5*/4* boosted roster than I suppose you're looking for stuff but I don't see yellow / black so much as an improvement really.  Yellow MAYBE, but considering all the other synergies needed to make Fantastic worth fielding, I'm not sure I'd say the yellow passive's quite worth the losses.
  • Chrono_Tata
    Chrono_Tata Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Regarding the number of times that the Thing is used compared to Mr. Fantastic and Invisible Woman, I think there is a much simpler explanation than the number of people who have the characters or how often they are boosted or anything like that. It's simply that Ben is a straightforward DPS character that can fit on many teams while Reed and Susan are more niche characters that require specific teambuilding to shine.

When we say that Ben is a "bad" character, we are comparing him to other DPS characters from the same rarity who can do much more damage for cheaper. He's not really a character that would compare directly to (old) Reed or Susan. Reed was a pretty good support character who would be much more useful than Ben when put on the right team, but he's much more finicky to be made to work well so many players might not bother using him often.
  • NeonBlue
    NeonBlue Posts: 142 Tile Toppler
    OJSP said:
    Pylgrim said: it was one of only three powers in the game (one of them being in 3* land) with the ability to swap tiles
    Swap tiles?  Quicksilver, old Mr Fantastic and who?  Not 4* Hulk or 3* Magneto or 3* Loki, you mean designated rather than random right?
    Coulson
    Charging then swapping is like gravy with bacon bits on fluffy mashed potatoes.
  • Liftoff
    Liftoff Posts: 38 Just Dropped In
    Using him in pvp now.  This is a nerf.  Can I sale him for 13 5* tokens now?

• dingo
    dingo Posts: 46 Just Dropped In
    edited January 2019
    I'm not understanding all the negativity towards the change.... Currently using Carnage and Medusa in the pvp and Mr. F is doing close to 30k damage (boosted) with his blue after 5 turns. I'd rather have that than 2 protect tiles....
  • spidyjedi84
    spidyjedi84 Posts: 514 Critical Contributor
    dingo said:
    I'm not understanding all the negativity towards the change.... Currently using Carnage and Medusa in the pvp and Mr. F is doing close to 30k damage (boosted) with his blue after 5 turns. I'd rather have that than 2 protect tiles....
    I can't say for certain, but I think the feedback is being skewed by 5* players that are furious that their specific use for him has changed, and they can't see the bigger picture.
    Bingo, that's a majority of this thread. The rework is proving to make Mr. F. a fantastic team member on the right rainbow teams. Especially the free move, ala Mockingbird, for targeting and removing special tiles.
  • n25philly
    n25philly Posts: 426 Mover and Shaker
    Can we have the old one back at least for the crash?  It would be nice to actually stand a chance, which isn't happening with as horrible as these changes are
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    I had fun climbing with Daredevil and Okoye in Stretch goals. Daredevil in particular is a good match - he can put out strike tiles Reed can benefit from, and he loves working with other stunners. But I probably won't use Reed when he's not required.
  • b0ldfacedfemme
    b0ldfacedfemme Posts: 3 Just Dropped In
    Tried using my champed Mr F in Crash, and it was a slaughter fest because I didn't know they powerset changed! (that's why I'm here, to figure out why/when it changed).  

On 5th try, still slaughtered. 

You ruined him. 
  • Pr0spect0r
    Pr0spect0r Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    That change to ai board drop changes really helped Dr Doom get 12 purple AP in one turn. That was fun
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    It wasn't the WORST crash ever, it was painfully slow though, much slower than his last cycle
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    Well, you certainly took a middle of the road character and inexplicably made him worse.  Kingpin wasn't enough, huh?
  • Trilateralus
    Trilateralus Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    Just took my champ Mr. F through the crash. CotT is a good benchmark for measuring how good a character is because you have to use them in isolation, often against a character specifically chosen to be difficult. It really highlighted how mediocre this new move set is. In the past this crash was a bit of a grind due to Mr. F not having a nuke but it was pretty easy to perma stun Doom and chip away with Imaginaut. Now Mr. F has a nuke and it’s still a grind. Even with 2 Imaginaut tiles out (one going off every turn) it was embarrassing how long it took to get enough special tiles to get his nuke to work. It was nice to have charged tiles remove some of Doom’s traps but they otherwise did me no good. Having Imaginaut do so many things really waters it down. It’s a shame because I could see how the concept could have been good. The only way to activate the passive is if Doom summons demons and even then you’re almost certainly going to take more damage than you will heal and activating the free power will only happen if you match all of Doom’s demons (didn’t happen for me). It’s just a mess, trying to do too much and not hitting the mark.