Mr. Fantastic (Reed Richards) Character Rework (1/9/19)

Comments

• peteer01
    peteer01 Posts: 43 Just Dropped In
    Disappointing. What a bizarre change. 
  • BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,159 Chairperson of the Boards
    Brigby said:
    I don’t have the capacity to analyse right now. Can someone tell me if this is a buff or nerf? His Blue sounds vastly worse, Yellow is much better, Black...isnt so board-dependent now I guess?
    Blue is definitely different, but in my opinion, I wouldn't necessarily say it's worse. The change turned it more from a defensive ability into an offensive ability. It now has a direct damage component, instead of Protect tile generation. The direct damage component is also multiplicative, depending on how many friendly special tiles are on the board. It still maintains the 3-turn Stun, as well, so you still have an element of defensive capability too.

His Yellow ability granting a free ability cast every 4 enemy special tile match can be incredibly useful.

In my opinion, Black is far more useful now, because you're very likely to have some sort of effect trigger, now that it's a 2 turn Fortified Repeater tile, as opposed to waiting to match 1 of 3 colors.
    Hmm I would say, and I believe the general consensus is, that Blue is definitely worse than before. Board control cannot be overestimated; that’s why moves like Hulkcho’s Green and Rogue’s Red will always have high utility. I agree that Coulson also has targeted swap (as does Quicksilver...), but this targeted swap was one of Mr F’s strong points.

Yellow is definitely better; analogous to Mockingbird’s Yellow, and a good counter to Grocket and Carnage.

Black...eh. It looks like a mini version of MEHulk’s Yellow. Sure it can feed his Black, but it’d be nicer if it did something guaranteed. The old Black definitely did extra damage if you matched Red/Green/Yellow.

Blue is his biggest loss: without targeted swaps, he loses a lot of utility. And without its Fortication, he’s no longer a good partner for MEHulk/Shuri. I guess the silver lining for Blue is that it stacks with friendly special tiles. But that means, outside of his Black, you need to bring along special tile spammers like Dazzler, Carnage, Kitty.
  • tchipley
    tchipley Posts: 63 Match Maker
    I'll use him. I like the FF. Just kinda wish we could use all 4 at the same time.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,894 Chairperson of the Boards
    If I do a match 4 of all enemy specials, will a free power fire? Or do I need to do four separate matches?

How is most damage determined for the purposes of his heal? If I bring in a certain character at half health who has taken no damage this match will that person heal. Or will the person who took the most damage in this particular match be healed?
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    marshall said:
    This makes no sense at all. He doesn't work well with other FF characters now.
    The other FF characters all have abilities that will bolster his blue though: Thing's yellow passive, Sue's yellow (and perhaps blue, although that's competing for AP), Johnny's black and green.  With that said, there are better choices for this purpose.
    By quantising the damage on multiples of four special tiles, you really want a lot of them.  It would have been a bit more useful if it simply did 875 damage for each single friendly special tile.
    DarthDeVo said:
    No using him against Kaecilius. Basically, back to being essentially useless. 
    Forgive my ignorance.. how was he used against him???
    Damaging Kaecilius requires you to match his strike tiles.  If you've got a bad board, a tile swap power lets you arrange those matches.
  • spidyjedi84
    spidyjedi84 Posts: 514 Critical Contributor
    I like that he at least has some offensive capabilities now. In the past his only offense was matching red green or yellow tiles with an Imiginaut tile on the board, and if everyone else was out of commission, that was essentially game over, as those weren't tiles he could himself use. At least this lets him have an offensive capability.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Brigby said:
    I don’t have the capacity to analyse right now. Can someone tell me if this is a buff or nerf? His Blue sounds vastly worse, Yellow is much better, Black...isnt so board-dependent now I guess?
    Blue is definitely different, but in my opinion, I wouldn't necessarily say it's worse. The change turned it more from a defensive ability into an offensive ability. It now has a direct damage component, instead of Protect tile generation. The direct damage component is also multiplicative, depending on how many friendly special tiles are on the board. It still maintains the 3-turn Stun, as well, so you still have an element of defensive capability too.

His Yellow ability granting a free ability cast every 4 enemy special tile match can be incredibly useful.

In my opinion, Black is far more useful now, because you're very likely to have some sort of effect trigger, now that it's a 2 turn Fortified Repeater tile, as opposed to waiting to match 1 of 3 colors.
    One thing about the forums is a large portion of the players are 5* players.  And as a 5* player his blue change is defiantly a nerf as he is mainly used against Kalactus to be able to swap tiles and match strike tiles.  He would also put out protect times to reduce damage.  His blue now does damage and cost more and does not swap tiles. In a vacuum now doing damage might be different but his use rate will only be in essentials for 5* players.  It might be better for his PVP with Thor Okoye combo though.

his black defiantly feels like a buff and his yellow will be interesting.  For people using carnage Medusa Mr F this will heal less but that random ability might be a negative with Carnage.  

Overall i I think it is an interesting change and am not sure if it will make him better or worse.  I can say he will not longer be good against Kalactus and that is sad
  • NeonBlue
    NeonBlue Posts: 142 Tile Toppler
    edited January 2019
    I mean on an individual character level, it's a big nerf, but in a team with Medusa+Carnage (which was his most used role anyway), he's probably stronger? Blue can do some decent damage on a full carnage board. His yellow is also easy to proc with Carnage's passive.
  • MirrorKnight
    MirrorKnight Posts: 72 Match Maker
    His kit actually seems LESS cohesive now than it used to.
    Before, blue and black made special tiles which yellow could occassionally proc off of.
    Now, yellow is completely dependent on the other team making special tiles, and blue is more expensive and has less utility in exchange for unreliable damage.
    New black is interesting, but seemingly very inconsistent and fairly slow to kick off.

This really feels like it takes him out of what little niche he had :/
  • turbomoose
    turbomoose Posts: 764 Critical Contributor
    I don’t understand why this was a priority, as someone has already asked; could someone from the development team provide an explanation as to why. 

I never use him tbh so it makes no difference to me. I believe The Thing should of had a rework as he’s only useful when boosted and his powers cost way too much.
  • helix72
    helix72 Posts: 991 Critical Contributor
    I can only surmise that after the last survey where they asked us which character needed a rebalance the most, some hacker stuffed the ballot box with Mr. F as the answer...
  • MirrorKnight
    MirrorKnight Posts: 72 Match Maker
    Brigby said:
    We’ll. We’ll need to find someone else to use against Kaecilius.
    Yeah, there was ZERO reason to tweak his Blue, it was his one good power.

Why do they over-think almost every rework by messing with the powers that don't need fixing?
    You could always use Agent Coulson, if you're looking for another 4-Star that can swap tiles? You even get the benefit of those tiles becoming Charged too!
    Problem is, I wanted those fortified protect tiles to use with Shuri and P4nther :(
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm wondering how many special tiles does Imaginaut create? I see plural.
  • Kolence
    Kolence Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    helix72 said:
    I can only surmise that after the last survey where they asked us which character needed a rebalance the most, some hacker stuffed the ballot box with Mr. F as the answer...
    Or one of the characters that's coming up will be converting tiles to blue or adding blue tiles, and the old Flexibilty would have been like old cMags blue...

If not for the recent Ock rework, I would've been ready to bet my bag-man that the only reason for a rework could be some new broken interaction. :)