Roster help for rookie

Comments

• TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Patch would probably be my choice for your next BH. Cyclops wouldn't be bad, tho, and Khan and Thanos are also worth considering at this point.
  • Persephone
    Persephone Posts: 201 Tile Toppler
    I would BH Cyclops.  If you really enjoy Cyclops buffed, then you'll love him champed, IMHO.  
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,572 Chairperson of the Boards
    Cyclops is a beast, If I come up against him in PvP I always try and take him out fast because he can bring the pain.

However Patch is definitely an excellent choice also and he works very well with IM40 as after you get recharged and IM40 stuns himself, Patch will claim all the red tiles on the board (assuming you don't have a higher red match damage user) and his red nuke can one-shot surprisingly high amounts of health.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    I still vote for Patch:
    1) he is pretty close to 13 covers at 2/3/4 assuming your GamePendium is still accurate
    2) he is fed by 2* Wolverine, which ideally will shorten that growth compared to purely relying on bonus heroes
    3) he is real dope and is going to make a great team with Strang3/IM40

Once you have that team in place, it's probably time to step up to Thanos so you can hasten your clears significantly
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,288 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2018
    I would say Patch is a good candidate for you to get next.  True healer with a good green when used at the right time.  IM40 should give you AP to use Strange's blue power easily (make sure you move your Strange purple down to 3 and blue up to 5 btw if you haven't done so already).  IM40's red is a decent nuke but you will have to wait two turns  (his self-stun) to use it.  You don't have a black AP power but that is ok, it should be a decent team for you right now since you are closer to covering him.  

3* Cap can be a great lockdown option with IM40 actually.  I think he might be a better long-term pair with IM40 for you as you can just keep cycling his red and blue shields with one or two IM40 yellow uses.  I know the same color scheme seems counter intuitive but don't worry just match yellow first and you don't need to worry about black/green/purple for that match.  I have plenty of experience with that combo and it works well (plus its upgrade IM40 and 4Thoress).   Another overlooked combo that isn't bad is IM40 with Beast.  You get a lot of blue to put out Beast's tiles cheaply and then a lot of green to use his green AoE which isn't bad, although I think 3* Cap and Patch are better overall characters compared to Beast.  
  • Beerman63
    Beerman63 Posts: 69 Match Maker
    Well, as alot of people recommended me Patch I'll go for him first. Actually I was also thinking about Luke Cage tbh, cause I had buffed versions of him recently and he is such a great teammate for my almost champed Iron Fist.
    Another thing, with some 2* characters getting near to max champed, how should I continue when f.e. Capt. Marvel or Thor reach lvl. 144? I still use Thor quite alot, so I don't want to delete him and start anew, and if I create a 2nd Thor I need another roster space... So, if somebody could advise me on that it would be great.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    edited December 2018
    Luke/Fist are a great team, but I don't find that they go particularly well with any of your existing champs. I like putting Falcon or SWitch in between them.

As for cycling 2*s, it's up to you. Some people keep max-champs of the 3 they like and flip over the rest, some roster dupes, or like I just flip mine as soon as I have a single replacement cover - you end up using some characters you wouldn't otherwise in DDQ, but any team of 2*s can get the job done if they're champion. There have even been a few times where BagMan is my highest leveled character because basically the whole roster turned over at the same time, and I needed the iso to save a 4* or something (pre-cover save). For me, I was pretty constantly desperate for HP as a completely F2P player trying to catch up to the whole roster of characters, so I needed the hp and was willing to deal with having under-covered 2s typically. One thing I'll say though is don't flip them over if they're required for a PVE that you're in the middle of - one time i made the mistake of selling a 2torm when I was really highly placed, and then couldn't hang on to placement without a champ.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2018
    Beerman63 said:
    Another thing, with some 2* characters getting near to max champed, how should I continue when f.e. Capt. Marvel or Thor reach lvl. 144? I still use Thor quite alot, so I don't want to delete him and start anew, and if I create a 2nd Thor I need another roster space... So, if somebody could advise me on that it would be great.
    Don't sell any 2-stars until you don't rely on them to win matches for you. Go ahead and start farming the useless ones (Moonstone, Cap, etc) that you don't use. But if you lean on Thor a lot you're better served keeping him on roster at level 144 and enjoy messing up your foes with him.

Once you move more fully into the 3-star tier and have a small stable of champed ones to rely on, you'll find you don't use Thor or your other 2-stars anymore for anything other than DDQ and PvE required nodes. Then it's time to start farming them.
  • Beerman63
    So, I did a bit of progress within the last weeks, now my roster looks like this:
    As you can see I champed some 3* already, I have to admit I used 20 CP on getting the last cover for Patch, I guess its worth it though as you all recommened him to me as being a good partner for IM40. Is 3/5/5 the best build for Patch?
    So now (once again) wondering who should be my bonus hero of the 4 lv 140 3* I got...
    I actually had quite some fun pairing IM40 with GSBW, if I can manage to get him loading up soon Widows green will go off soon, and her damage is really quite amazing. Cage and IF also make a great team.
    What do you think is the best level for PvE at the stage I am right now? I'm not a big grinder, just a casual player who gets about 25-35000 points at level 4 currently (depending on how much time I got).
    Furthermore, I got 4 4* covers in my queue, it's really sad that I have to let go of them cause of roster limitations. Currently I have the following 4* waiting to be rostered: Main Event Hulk, Elektra, Peggy Carter and Bishop. Really thinking about keeping Peggy, I read that she is a really strong 4*, so wouldn't that be a waste to sell off her cover...?
    Btw, is it worth keeping my Prowler? He has 3 covers already, though I don't enjoy playing with him at all, it seems quite hard for me to use him and he's not really fitting in any of my teams.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    I keep my Patch at 5/3/5, which takes the yellow condition off of his heal and maximizes how many strikes he puts out on both sides. There are other red users that are going to be more reliable, but his green is good. particularly if you pair him with somebody that wants enemy specials like 3* Hawkeye or at the 4* Tier Medusa. Cag3 and Fist are much closer to 13 covers, and make an excellent pair, so it would likely be a good move to go there next. If you want to maximize Patch at the 3* tier, I'd suggest you move your 3* BH to Hawk3y3 - if you match away enemy specials he gains 2 blue and 2 purple AP in the background.

Peggy is a very strong 4*, and a good transitional 4* to pair with 3* Iron Man, but you'll have to bonus hero your way up to her since she is so vintage. It'll be a pretty long road, even if you make Psylocke your only bonus 3* for the next year or so...

Prowler will play really well with that Patch though, I really quite like him. Mine is only 2/1/2 lvl94, and he is already effective against 4ocket teams as long as I can keep him alive. His big utility for you is going to be stealing back those strikes Patch is putting down. 

As for what SCL to play, you should time your clears with a stopwatch, decide how much time is acceptable for you, and just hang out there.

• Dormammu
    Beerman63 said:
    Is 3/5/5 the best build for Patch? 
    So now (once again) wondering who should be my bonus hero of the 4 lv 140 3* I got...
    5/3/5 Is my build for patch and always has been, and I too recommend IF and Cage as your next bonus heroes. Kamala and Thanos are also key linchpin characters at the 3-star tier.
    What do you think is the best level for PvE at the stage I am right now?
    I think you should be able to easily manage SCL 6. Once you have a larger stable of champed 3-stars (around half) I suggest giving SCL 7 a try, where there are 4-star progression rewards. You probably can already do SCL 7, at least on goon-heavy events where IM40/Patch/Strange will chew them up like wet paper (there isn't a better 3-star team against non-tile-matching goons).
    Currently I have the following 4* waiting to be rostered: Main Event Hulk, Elektra, Peggy Carter and Bishop. Really thinking about keeping Peggy, I read that she is a really strong 4*, so wouldn't that be a waste to sell off her cover...?
    Btw, is it worth keeping my Prowler?
    Peggy and Bishop are both really good. Peggy used to be the queen of the 4-star tier but the meta has kind of left her behind. But as @ThaRoadWarrior pointed out, she's still highly effective with IM40. If you had to sell someone to make room, your 3-star Bullseye would be easily replaced. As for Prowler, I'd keep him. You may not need/enjoy him now, but I promise you he'll become effective once you transition to the 4-star tier.

Additionally, you need to start thinking about how you're going to roster 70 4-stars. This takes some long-term planning unless you can spend. Now is the time to start preparing because you'll be getting LTs and 4-star covers from 3-star champ rewards and you'll pull your hair out selling 4-star covers you can't roster. Spending $$$ for HP is the easiest way. If that's not an option, you'll have some hard decisions in the very near future and you may want to prioritize which 4-stars are worth keeping and which ones you can let go. There are a lot of great ranking guides on these forums that can help you do that. Keep in mind that 2-stars are easily and quickly replaceable and you won't need yours much longer to compete or win matches.
  • Beerman63
    About the 2*, I already use only Thor, Magneto, Storm & Ares, the rest I only use for farming - as you can see with Cpt. Marvel, I already sold her when she was lv. 144 and started anew. Does it make sense to use all 2*s for farming, or would it be a good idea to leave some spots for upcoming 4*s? Bullseye is my Deadpool Daily spot where I roster 3*s from the queue that are due on that day and where I don't have to feeling to keep them yet. so he'll get substituted by Squirell Girl in 2 (?) days. 
    I currently have 100 CPs and 4 4* unopened tokens waiting, when does it make sense to use / open those? Should I finish champing all the 3* before, or maybe earlier as soon as I have some HP saved for more roster spots?
    I'll give it a try with a higher SCL on one of the following PvE events, is there a page like for ddq where I can see when a goon-heavy event is due? 
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Beerman63 said:
    About the 2*, I already use only Thor, Magneto, Storm & Ares, the rest I only use for farming - as you can see with Cpt. Marvel, I already sold her when she was lv. 144 and started anew. Does it make sense to use all 2*s for farming, or would it be a good idea to leave some spots for upcoming 4*s? Bullseye is my Deadpool Daily spot where I roster 3*s from the queue that are due on that day and where I don't have to feeling to keep them yet. so he'll get substituted by Squirell Girl in 2 (?) days. 
    I currently have 100 CPs and 4 4* unopened tokens waiting, when does it make sense to use / open those? Should I finish champing all the 3* before, or maybe earlier as soon as I have some HP saved for more roster spots?
    I'll give it a try with a higher SCL on one of the following PvE events, is there a page like for ddq where I can see when a goon-heavy event is due? 

The longer you can wait to open Legendary tokens, the better. Make sure you have your threestar roster set up properly Before you start opening.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    I use all 2*s for farming - you want to retain as much node access as you can, so if you're going to drop one out to roster a higher tier character and not replace it, make sure you check the sneak preview thread to see if they will be required for anything in the near future. 

A good rule of thumb is: if you can't afford a roster slot, don't pull from a pool that might get you something new. 
  • Dormammu
    Beerman63 said:
     Does it make sense to use all 2*s for farming, or would it be a good idea to leave some spots for upcoming 4*s?
    You can sell an under-covered or max-champed 2-star in a pinch if you need a roster slot, but you don't want to suspend your farming for too long because 2-star champ rewards are going to net you the much-needed HP you need to get more roster slots. You should be farming ALL the 2-stars as soon as you don't need them to win matches.
    I currently have 100 CPs and 4 4* unopened tokens waiting, when does it make sense to use / open those?
    Don't spend any LTs or CPs on legendary vaults (either latest or classics) unless you have the slots available to roster what you potentially open (characters you might not have).
    I'm not sure if there is a thread/page/resource which gives out node information for PvE events, but try it the next time Strange Sights is run, that event is almost exclusively goons.
  • TPF Alexis
    Dormammu said:
    Beerman63 said:

I'm not sure if there is a thread/page/resource which gives out node information for PvE events, but try it the next time Strange Sights is run, that event is almost exclusively goons.
    The organization is pretty awkward, and some of it may be out of date if any of them have been updated, but it should give you a general idea of what you'll be up against.

• Beerman63
    Thx alot for the help.
    I managed to champ 3* Magneto yesterday, and as I read on some topics I will build him 3/5/5 as its the recommendation most users give. Still wondering how he fits in my team, don't think he's a good partner for IM40 due to the same colours they use... I have to admit I hardly ever used him before because I didn't really find a place for him in my teams.
  • TPF Alexis
    Beerman63 said:
    Thx alot for the help.
    I managed to champ 3* Magneto yesterday, and as I read on some topics I will build him 3/5/5 as its the recommendation most users give. Still wondering how he fits in my team, don't think he's a good partner for IM40 due to the same colours they use... I have to admit I hardly ever used him before because I didn't really find a place for him in my teams.
    He's not my fave, but his blue is a monster nuke when there's enough red and blue on the board for it to max out.
    His red is mostly useful in combination with other board shake/manipulation powers. There aren't many of those in the 3* tier, but it can be used, for instance, instead of Storm's yellow before firing her green, so you're just getting coloured AP from it, or it can sometimes help to bring in more blue/red to power up his blue. Using it right before Loki's purple can increase the chance of cascades, since there are now mostly only 6 colours on the board instead of 7. Stuff like that. The damage isn't as good as his blue usually, but it can still hit pretty hard if you time it right.
    The big thing that sets his yellow apart from other Protect tile powers is that it can potentially over-write any tile, not just basic tiles. It's random, so it's not reliable, but it can occasionally end up over-writing some nasty enemy Special, which is pretty cool when you pull it off, but very frustrating when the AI does.
  • Persephone
    Persephone Posts: 201 Tile Toppler
    I love 3* Magneto, especially boosted, which he'll be starting on Jan. 10th.  I pair him with SWitch all the time.  Together, I've taken down multiple goons at the same time.  How?  His red shakes the board, sometimes causing powerful cascades.  When it cascades purple, you'll be able to gain the AP to fire SWitch Reality Crush.  I've also gained blue AP, so I use that on a goon next that I want to take down.  They're wonderful together.  Try it some time.  
    The only color missing between them is black.  Sometimes I ignore that and use Strange with them to stun two people at the same time if I don't want to shake the board with Magneto's blue. 
    Since 3* Storm will be boosted also, her black is impressive.  She'll be a great combo with Magneto and SWitch.
  • Beerman63
    That sounds quite fine, only problem is that I have only 2 covers for Storm and - sadly enough - 0 covers for SWitch... I'm gonna try to pair him with Strange and will be looking for another partner, maybe IF would work, as he would complete the color spectrum if I remember right...