Spending HP

2»

Comments

• Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm not one for daily deals in vaults. Long odds are not my thing; we deal with enough long odds on free tokens already. I can't even remember the last time I cashed in an event token and got anything but a 2-star cover.

I just let the HP pile up until there's an entire vault I think looks enticing enough to buy out, or if there's a HfH offer that tickles my spending urge. I feel better about using HP when I know exactly what I'm going to get for it, even if my spending isn't optimal.

Recently I bought a Heroic 40-pack at the reduced off-season price. I was really pleased with the results.
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,115 Chairperson of the Boards
    Because my main focus is getting more LT pulls, I've recently become fond of 40-packs that come with an LT.  And I agree with @Dormammu about the "long odds" of the Heroic Daily Deal.  On paper, it's smart, but in practice, it's frustrating. 
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dormammu said:
    I'm not one for daily deals in vaults. Long odds are not my thing; we deal with enough long odds on free tokens already. I can't even remember the last time I cashed in an event token and got anything but a 2-star cover.

I just let the HP pile up until there's an entire vault I think looks enticing enough to buy out, or if there's a HfH offer that tickles my spending urge. I feel better about using HP when I know exactly what I'm going to get for it, even if my spending isn't optimal.

Recently I bought a Heroic 40-pack at the reduced off-season price. I was really pleased with the results.
    I like vault pulls because the bad pulls actually means the odds of good pulls later increase (and the good pulls are just good). I can usually get 20 pulls out of a vault with the Daily deal and the tokens awarded naturally, and that in turn is usually enough to get at least one of the fourstar items in the vault (fourstar cover or LT). I haven't really bothered calculating what the odds would be if I didn't get the Daily deal, but TBH I feel I am getting my HPs Worth from 100 HP a day there.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Your way is probably a smart way to do it, @Quebbster
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,894 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bowgentle said:
    Roster slots.
    You can never have enough roster slots.
    Your 266s will require slots for dupes, so will your 370s at one point.
    Buy roster slots until you're at 240, then keep buying more every two weeks.
    I would hold off on any slot purchases other than those you need for an unrostered character/dupe. We had a roster slot sale last year around the new year and if we get one again, you might be upset that you dropped your hoard on something that came cheaper later.  

Since that sale I’ve actually only ever bought slots one at a time on an as-needed basis just in case a sale comes along again out of nowhere. 

As much as the game doesn’t want us to hoard it really does benefit hoarders. Sale out of the blue? Messed up token odds in the players favor? 4 day window for a new release store? Those who have hoarded resources can capitalize on those things. 
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,115 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2018
    As much as the game doesn’t want us to hoard it really does benefit hoarders. Sale out of the blue? Messed up token odds in the players favor? 4 day window for a new release store? Those who have hoarded resources can capitalize on those things. 
    Very ironic that the developers don't want people to hoard (perhaps the programming difficulties of it) but the game they created benefits hoarders.  I think hoarding is an accidental side effect of the system they created.  I believe they simply wanted players to just play for fun and keep pulling that token slot machine until they get a jackpot of some degree, on a daily basis.  I also think they don't want to reveal upcoming plans too much so that the game can still surprise people.  Because predictable things can become boring. 

EDIT: Welcome to Marvel Gambling Quest!
  • St_Bernadus
    St_Bernadus Posts: 587 Critical Contributor
    Shielding out at the end of an event to retain your points is how you get to the later season rewards. Up to you if you think that is worth it (but not if you are 575 and out most likely).
  • Ed_Dragonrider
    Ed_Dragonrider Posts: 578 Critical Contributor
    Thank you all for your words of wisdom, this has has been great! 
    As a lot of you have said similar things I wont quote, so just in general:

PVP shields: Heh, yeah, I knew I was forgetting something. It's good to know that i'll now have the option, but I wont be spending on this for a while yet. PVP for me is just pure frustration, anger and resentment, so I stay away from it. Sometimes completely, but if I do play, then it's only to 19 wins (the aim is 16 wins for the 10 cp, but if I can get there, I might as well do 3 more wins for the store token), and then I'm out.

HfH deals: While I have managed to roster all 4*s, that doesn't mean they're at a decent level. About 50 of the 70+ characters are only at 5 covers or less.... mostly less. With the current event my Nebula has reached 11 covers (wow, yay), and only 2 others have 10 covers. The remaining half a dozen are at the 6 to 8 covers range, so spending 3 slots worth for a single cover seems a waste to me, as it wouldn't really have a significant impact anyway. For now, I think i'll just keep pulling tokens or cp. Support deals are sort of tempting though...

Slots: I know this is a bottomless pit, once you have everyone, you need to start rostering dupes etc, so this never stops being a need. My 3* champs are at about lvl 200, so it'll be a bit of a while before the next round of desperation. I just didnt know how much freedom that gives me... not a lot, judging by your comments. :neutral:

Based on your advice and suggestions I think I'll keep hoarding (while that's not something i like to do, I've long ago resigned myself to the fact that that is the only way to play this game well).
    I'll keep slots the priority, however I'll do 100hp daily deals in support vaults (as much as possible), and sometimes in the heroic store (sometimes, but not always), and I'll keep my eyes open for those special 40 item vaults.
    If I get a severe spending itch, I might do a 10pack deal in a supports vault, but otherwise I'll keep saving for special events like the anniversary and the slot sale or whatever else they surprise us with. 

Currently I have about 8k HP and I can see I'll need to keep quite the reserve if I'm to make the most of it.

Thank you once again for all the awesome advice, I'm very grateful! <3

• broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    I wont be spending on this for a while yet. PVP for me is just pure frustration, anger and resentment, so I stay away from it. Sometimes completely, 

Good news it does get better as  your roster improves, but for me it was at this level for at least 1.5 - 2 years, probably longer for each new player as the tiers continue to bloat and the odds continue to drop.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,289 Chairperson of the Boards
    The best deal is still in slots.  Build up your HP to a level where you can always buy a few extra slots if needed like 3000 or 5000 HP (depending where you are on roster slot costs etc.)  Then only spend HP on tokens/deals/etc. for any excess HP above that point.  I call this the HP budget.  As long as you have that HP reserve, you won't feel like you are in a pinch.
  • Ed_Dragonrider
    Ed_Dragonrider Posts: 578 Critical Contributor
    broll said:
    I wont be spending on this for a while yet. PVP for me is just pure frustration, anger and resentment, so I stay away from it. Sometimes completely, 

Good news it does get better as  your roster improves, but for me it was at this level for at least 1.5 - 2 years, probably longer for each new player as the tiers continue to bloat and the odds continue to drop.
    Ahh, so only 2 more years? Encouraging. :p
  • abmoraz
    abmoraz Posts: 712 Critical Contributor
    First and foremost: Roster slots.  If you spend HP on nothing else, roster slots is the one thing you should use it on.

Second: the daily "100hp for a single draw" deals.  I don't bother with the 200hp deals or any of the multi-draw deals.

Third: shield (singular).  I generally don't care about PvP, but when I do get the urge, I'll spend some HP on a single shield of whichever duration lasts past the end of the event.  Don't bother shield hopping.  The rewards are generally not worth the cost.

Fourth: Specialty vaults.  Very rarely, I'll spend some to buy out on of those "size 40" specialty vaults... especially if the cost is <= 4000hp (so that it is the same price as the daily 100 deals)

Things to never spend HP on:
    1. Expensive full-price packs.  You'll get the stuff in the long term via cheaper draws, awarded tokens/covers, or through bonus heroes
    2. Shield Hopping.  Same deal as #1.  Patience is a virtue.  At this point in the game, you are never going to be able to catch the mega-whales that are winning PvP.  Save your currency and enjoy the play.
    3. Heroes for Hire store: With saved covers, you're much better served to make that character your bonus hero and draw for it