Spending HP

Ed_Dragonrider
Ed_Dragonrider Posts: 578 Critical Contributor
Hi All!

My gameplay is changing somewhat, so I've come for advice.
As a 3* player, until now every single HP I've managed to scrape together has gone towards roster slots. Recently though, I've managed to roster the last of the 4*s, so I now have everyone from 2* to 4* and even about 13 or so of the 5*s rostered. I've been able to feel the squeeze lessening for a while, and now it looks like my tiny HP stash actually has a chance to build up. This means, I can finally start spending elsewhere... if I want to. 

So the questions are:
What is the best (smartest) way to spend HP?
I reckon HfH isnt for me yet, as every 4* cover is useful. That leaves vaults and stores... Which is better? Which ones are more worth it (like depending on # of items)?
What is better, buying 40 packs, 10 packs or just doing daily 1 deals?
How big of a security net should i leave to fall back on?
What else am i forgetting to consider?

Any advice is welcome and greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

Comments

• Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,516 Chairperson of the Boards
    I favor daily deals and PvP shields. 
  • rixmith
    rixmith Posts: 707 Critical Contributor
    I think that the best value comes from the occasional special 40 item vaults where you can pick up two 4* characters, lots of tokens and 2* and 3* farm fodder. These usually cost around 3750, so it is nice to keep 4K or so on hand in case one comes up that interests you. 

I typically buy the 100 HP daily tokens and spend on shields. 
  • marshall
    marshall Posts: 179 Tile Toppler
    Daily deal is one token for 100 HP, that's the best value. Some special vaults sell 40 tokens for 3600 HP, I'd do those as well. PvP shields for more rewards are definitely ideal.

You should still have a surplus even if you do all of the above, I'd save for anniversary, off-season 10k for 40k tokens and a LT deals.
  • crackninja
    crackninja Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
    I know you said you don't need any more slots, but I'd also consider saving up for a few weeks to see of they offer a sale on roster slots again this year.  You'll need more slots eventually anyway, so it's basically an investment that is guaranteed to pay off down the line (I believe they were offered at 50% cost).
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,894 Chairperson of the Boards
    1. Slots
    2. A 3 or 8 hour shield to preserve my score at the end of an event
    3. 100 HP daily deals

Those are all guarantees for me. 

I emptied my entire HP stash last year for the roster slot sale even though I didn’t need slots. And I would do so again this year if they run the sale again (though my stash is only about 10k). 

Other than that, aside from a couple purchases here and there (buying out good small vaults for example) I don’t mind hoarding everything until anniversary. Those vaults are the best and I like turning them over as many times as possible. If we get lots of Tasky and Ham I’ll be glad I saved. 
  • charmbots
    charmbots Posts: 87 Match Maker
    Daily 100hp heroic tokens are a good deal since even if you get a 2* it just means you are one pull closer to the next 4*; 100hp vault pulls are a bit more dicey because if the vault closes without getting anything then it’s gone for good. The 3750hp 41 item vaults are an excellent value. H4h was very useful for me in getting the 13th cover on a number of 4* also, although if there had been saved covers back then I probably wouldn’t have bought a lot of them. And end of event shields for placement in pvp, two or three 3* covers and a number of tokens for 75hp or 150hp is a decent trade off and it will help you flip your 2’s and build your 3’s into the big champ rewards quicker. 
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,115 Chairperson of the Boards
    Well, there are many reasonable options to spend HP, so I'll comment on them all, but I measure them based on the cost per 4* cover. 

* Heroic Daily Deal - 100 HP: with 1:16 odds of a 4* cover, it theoretically takes 1600 HP per 4* cover, which is the best deal there is.  But......it may feel like a waste of HP when you open Heroics for a week or two and get 0 4* covers.
    * Heroic 40-Pack Deal - 11,200 HP: with 1:14 odds of a 4* cover, you probably would get 3 x 4* covers PLUS the free LT.  This calculates to 2800 HP per cover.  Of course, you also get a bunch of 2*/3* champ rewards.  This is a good deal too because of the chance of a 5* cover and immediate results. 
    * Off Season 40-Pack - 10,000 HP: just like the deal above, but a little cheaper and once a month.
    * HFH 4* Cover for 3600 HP: this costs more per 4* cover, but the advantage here is that you can cherry pick the cover that you need.  So, it's worth it if you need that cover. 
    * Special / Limited Vaults - ??? HP: these are usually a great deal and better than the above options, but you never know when they're coming, so it's good to keep a reserve of 5K to 10K HP.  The other typical 80-item event vaults are a bad deal, costing you 4900 HP per cover on average. 

If you accumulate 400 HP per day, and you spend 450 HP per week on PVP shields, and buy a roster slot every 2 weeks: then you'll have an extra 3700 HP every 2 weeks.  That could buy you a HFH every 2 weeks, or a 40-pack every 6 weeks.  If you bought the Heroic Daily deal everyday, then you would still have an excess of 2300 HP every 2 weeks. 
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    8 hour pvp shields and the occasional 40 item vault for 3750. that's it. anything else is overpriced.
  • AardvarkPepper
    AardvarkPepper Posts: 239 Tile Toppler
    If you want to dupli-champ characters, you'll need those HP for . . . more roster slots
  • BigSoftieFF
    BigSoftieFF Posts: 454 Mover and Shaker
    Roster slots
    Shields
    40 Item vaults
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    I mostly ignored PVP shields early on when I was HP starved: I saw the good progression rewards as so far out of reach they might as well not exist.  Once I had the HP to spare, dropping a few shields was a good way to hit 900 points, and the cheapest way of "buying" a 4* cover.

So maybe wait until one or two of your 4* champs are boosted, and commit to using three shields (probably two 3 hours and an 8 hour) and see how you fare.

As others have said, the 40 item vaults that can be bought out for 3750 HP are also a good deal.  In particular because the individual tokens are quite cheap: the 40-pack only represents a 250 HP discount over buying 40 singles, and 50 HP over buying four 10-packs.  So the best strategy is usually to buy 10-packs and/or singles until you've exhausted the worthwhile rewards and then stop.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't bother with shields now that Win-based Progression is an option, but I do generally grab the 100HP daily deals from Event Vaults. Other than that, my only regular spending is that I pick up a Roster slot every two weeks for the new character. The rest stays around until there's a vault I want to buy out (or at least really fish for something) and stuff like the Anniversary.
    The minimum reserve I like to keep on hand is 1K, in case I lose track of things and end up needing another Roster slot sooner than I thought. 4K is probably a better reserve, tho, in case a good vault comes along unexpectedly.
  • randomhero1090
    randomhero1090 Posts: 396 Mover and Shaker
    1. Slots
    2. A 3 or 8 hour shield to preserve my score at the end of an event
    3. 100 HP daily deals

Those are all guarantees for me. 

I emptied my entire HP stash last year for the roster slot sale even though I didn’t need slots. And I would do so again this year if they run the sale again (though my stash is only about 10k). 

Other than that, aside from a couple purchases here and there (buying out good small vaults for example) I don’t mind hoarding everything until anniversary. Those vaults are the best and I like turning them over as many times as possible. If we get lots of Tasky and Ham I’ll be glad I saved. 
    That.  

Any vault deal that guarantees a needed cover is also worth it too.  Especially in a 5/5/2 situation.  
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm not much for the 100 hp daily deals. I'd rather use a shield for t50 placement in a lightning round and snag two heroics for 50 hp. Worst case scenario is both are 2s so I only really spent 25hp each as opposed to 100hp for one heroic in a daily deal. Granted not everyone is in a position to do that but it works for me.

Besides that I will use an 8hr shield for pvp or a 24hr one if I really hate it and don't want to bother with it anymore. I also usually buy the 10 pack for a new character's store if it has the top or middle color in it. Everything else goes to roster slots for new characters and my 3* dupes. About to start buying extra slots here and there though to help me get ahead.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    To add on to @bbigler

1) 4* PvP comic store: 1:12 of getting 4* for one draw and 1:11 for 10 and 40 packs. That particular 4* gets 10x the odds. However, it uses 200 HP per draw.

2) Support bundle for 4800 HP: 1 4* cover, 2 Advanced token and 3 Beginner token. Pull the right support and it can change your PvE experience forever.

I'm in the same stage as @Ed_Dragonrider : every 4* rostered and some 5* rostered.

This is what I use for my HP:

1) 75 HP for PvP shield. 150HP if my schedule doesn't allow me to.

Top 50 in SCL 9 nets me 50 HP plus 2 Elite tokens and 2 3* covers. I think it's a pretty good investment for 75HP and you get a rebate of 50HP. Top 100 nets me 25HP, 2 2* covers and 3 Elite tokens. 50 HP for 2* farming is also good.

2) 100 HP vault pull occasionally

3) Roster slots to prepare for 3* farming.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    I usually buy the 100 HP Daily deal in vaults, but I don't buy the regular Heroic Daily deal. I suppose I should, I just overspent on that one when I was starting out (way Before champ levels and saved covers). And I will spend on the special vaults if they are Worth it. Other than that it's mostly new roster slots and PvP Shields.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,894 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2018
    I don’t always do the daily heroic either. Main reason is I’m hoarding Heroics until Prowler/Bish enter tokens. I did the same thing once I had everyone in tokens champed and hoarded until Domino rotated in. I got zero bonus covers and thus no Dominos but figured if I got even one it’d be worth it. I champed her pulling for Thanos though and so back to hoarding. Currently at 41 pulls and a 10 pack. 
  • MegaBee
    MegaBee Posts: 975 Critical Contributor
    I currently spend HP on two things: roster slots and the very infrequent HfH that's particularly useful to me.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Roster slots.
    You can never have enough roster slots.
    Your 266s will require slots for dupes, so will your 370s at one point.
    Buy roster slots until you're at 240, then keep buying more every two weeks.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2018
    My personal opinion for your level:
    1.  Roster slots
    2.  H4H deals for 4*s/colors you don't have, especially the ones that will be most effective.
    3.  Save tokens for all repeated event vaults as long as you can.  Once a 4*/color you really want/need is in a vault, use those covers and if you don't get it buy the rest out with HP.
    4.  Limited vaults if/when they have good deals.

I personally recommend not wasting HP on PvP shields, they are a huge waste of resources unless you're placing high enough to get the 4* , which would be extremely difficult at your roster level.  Do wins based until you get the 4* or max progression, which ever you have the patients and time for then take whatever placement you get.  I couldn't believe how quickly HP started piling up once I stopped falling for the shield trap.