Doctor Octopus (Classic) - Character Update (12/12/18)

Comments

• sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,260 Chairperson of the Boards
    Also, the sellback price is a whopping 200 000 ISO for a 450 champed Ock, no tokens.

• Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    His stun resistance isn't working against Court Death. I had a tentacle on the board, killed an enemy with a power and Ock got stunned along with everyone else. 

-snip-
    The team is aware of this issue, and they're already working on a fix for it. 
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,601 Chairperson of the Boards
    kk3thess said:
    Did he get a new costume? I'm seeing a new Doc on the Easy entry node on the alliance event, but I don't see anything on the forums.
    Definitely a Superior Octopus there. And a Red Goblin on the last one-off node.

Looking forward to getting the Octopus skin, especially now that he's not so awful (used him today, getting a cascade that makes three tentacles, a match-4 to add a fourth, and then having enough blue AP to drop a 60k+ hit was awesome, haha, so much better than before)
  • huktonfonix
    huktonfonix Posts: 214 Tile Toppler
    RickOShay said:
    What exactly is the point of this? I see a character who was complete trash tier before, extremely confusing and complicated to use, with some unique and fun (if bad) abilities.

The new version is a little better, I guess? But still trash tier and I’m not sure he leapfrogs a single other 5* in the rankings. He’s also still incredibly complicated, but loses some of his unique abilities and interactions.

Not one of his ability changes is an unconditional buff. Every improvement comes with a trade off. Why? Why not some straight up buffs with no downside instead of getting cute with this? This is not a character in danger of becoming the next Gambit.

His green has been completely buffed, because now you can actually play it.

Are you planning to use him in this current PvP then?  I hope so, since we're bracket buddies.
  • StevO-J
    StevO-J Posts: 746 Critical Contributor
    In the last sub of Webbed Wonder I saw that the tentacle tiles persist after Doc Oc is downed, working as intended or not? I guess it never states what the behaviour 'should' be so could be fine.
  • marshall
    marshall Posts: 179 Tile Toppler
    Great rework! In terms of mechanics, I wish they had kept the repeating stun since it was a great and unique ability. In terms of fun, I wish the autowin had been preserved somehow since it's a cool and also unique mechanic, but since it's so impossibly hard to pull off, I'm happy it's gone.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    He is definitely very usable.  His color combo is unique and doc unlocks a lot of different combos.  3* peter Parker is a great showcase event.  The green is much more manageable and 18 green cost is no different than rhulks green.

im not sure if I’d say top tier, but he can play well with Bunch of combos
  • Chrono_Tata
    Chrono_Tata Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    I have a champ Doc Ock and been using him in the event. Probably partly because he's boosted but I'm really enjoying the rework. Gonna miss the instant win mechanic but I understand why it's gone. Hoping this signals more rebalances for other characters in the near future.
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,651 Chairperson of the Boards
    I was actually trying to get doc ock before this rework. His black synergised really well with 5* daredevil since it would keep the character in front stunned for 3 turns. Now it's a 1 turn stun which is just really frustrating. 

Why when reworking a character that by and large people saw as bad do you take away the only positive they had? 

The burst heal on his green means daredevil puts out less specials overall since it continually pushes him above half health.

Oh well I guess. Now instead of fitting on one niche team for me he can now perform in a wider range of teams. It just stinks that the role I was interested in having him for is now gone.
  • King_Koopa54326
    King_Koopa54326 Posts: 36 Just Dropped In
    I just encountered a 5 star doc oc issue.  I had two tentacle tiles on the board and i downed an enemy with 5 star thanos on my team.  Court death kicked and doc oc became stunned. With the blue ability description , that should not have occurred.  Am i misreading the ability or is thanos an exception? 

Will cross post
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,651 Chairperson of the Boards
    I just encountered a 5 star doc oc issue.  I had two tentacle tiles on the board and i downed an enemy with 5 star thanos on my team.  Court death kicked and doc oc became stunned. With the blue ability description , that should not have occurred.  Am i misreading the ability or is thanos an exception? 

Will cross post
    Brigby stated it is a bug the devs are aware of on page 3 of this topic. So yes, it is a bug and they are aware.
  • sinnerjfl
    tiomono said:
    I was actually trying to get doc ock before this rework. His black synergised really well with 5* daredevil since it would keep the character in front stunned for 3 turns. Now it's a 1 turn stun which is just really frustrating. 

Why when reworking a character that by and large people saw as bad do you take away the only positive they had? 

The burst heal on his green means daredevil puts out less specials overall since it continually pushes him above half health.

Oh well I guess. Now instead of fitting on one niche team for me he can now perform in a wider range of teams. It just stinks that the role I was interested in having him for is now gone.
    Wouldn't want Doc Ock to be too overpowered with 1 char like DD, lets nerf that stun!!

Tried the reworked Ock a lot yesterday and I still dont get why the stun was nerfed that badly, he is not even remotely closed to being too strong now.
  • Chrono_Tata
    Chrono_Tata Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Take into account that his black now can go down to 7 AP cost with maximum tentacle tiles on the board, compared to the old fixed 10 AP cost. With the buffed other effects, keeping the continuous stun component is probably a bit overpowered. Sure he's still not top tier but I don't think they need to make him so; just making him not terrible is good.
  • sinnerjfl
    I don't find the reduction in cost all that useful to be honest. Some matches, you can barely get a match-4 so that component becomes useless. Having 4 tentacles out on the board almost never happens so whats the point?

This all looks great in theory until you actually try to keep tentacles alive on the board. Your own matches and the opponent remove them all the time.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    sinnerjfl said:
    I don't find the reduction in cost all that useful to be honest. Some matches, you can barely get a match-4 so that component becomes useless. Having 4 tentacles out on the board almost never happens so whats the point?

This all looks great in theory until you actually try to keep tentacles alive on the board. Your own matches and the opponent remove them all the time.
    I see your point about tentacles, but making match 4 is strong point for human players.  That’s a skill recog issue.  From personal play it feels like there are p,entry of match 4 chances.  I dint think that was a bad limitation.

for me the lack of fortification on the black cd was a problem.  Rarely got it to resolve quickly.  There might be parings that resolve it, but it sorta limits black for me
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have a 1/0/2 Octopus, so i'm not sure how much of an opinion I have, but I will say that taking the (mostly) Insta-win condition off of his green makes me sad.  It's certainly more easy to use, but what it does isn't nearly as interesting anymore. 

Also: @Brigby
    why does the repeater only do chip damage at Phase 2, but heals all the way through i'ts lifecycle? Is that intended?
  • sinnerjfl
    Phumade said:
    I see your point about tentacles, but making match 4 is strong point for human players.  That’s a skill recog issue.  From personal play it feels like there are p,entry of match 4 chances.  I dint think that was a bad limitation.

for me the lack of fortification on the black cd was a problem.  Rarely got it to resolve quickly.  There might be parings that resolve it, but it sorta limits black for me
    Match-4's are available yes, but they do shake up the board a lot and tentacles are not fortified.

Black should be fortified now...  but it's not. So that leaves you with options that might also fortify green which negates the damage portion of the whole power, sigh.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    sinnerjfl said:
    Phumade said:

Match-4's are available yes, but they do shake up the board a lot and tentacles are not fortified.

Black should be fortified now...  but it's not. So that leaves you with options that might also fortify green which negates the damage portion of the whole power, sigh.
    Hawkeye would fortify the black but not the repeater.