***** Kingpin (Spider-Verse) *****

Comments

• Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have decided to call 5* Kingpin "Torso Boy". Seems appropriate.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm surprised the Spider-Verse art directors let him have that silhouette; he looks like Gossamer from Looney Tunes if you just look at the outline. I'd have had at least the top of his head break the shoulder-line for visual interest - as it is, all his detail is internal to the silhouette. Definitely an interesting choice; I'm looking forward to picking apart the art book for the movie i have on the way for christmas.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    jamesh said:
    If blue is your team's strongest colour (e.g. if Kingpin is the highest levelled character), then Forced Hand effectively only costs 2 AP and a special tile.  If you've got a ready supply of weak special tiles you don't mind giving to the enemy, then that makes it pretty cheap to switch it to it's damage dealing mode.
    OML works decently here, for this specific interaction, anyways. Assuming he doesn't have a stronger match damage than Kingpin, which he won't unless he's much higher level.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    I was wondering what an OML/Kitty/Kingpin team would look like for special tile creation/buffing
  • Yoik
    Yoik Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    After seeing him in game on my now one a day match, I initially thought I'd had some form of acid flashback from the 90s and my mind had made up some improbably ridiculous new toon for the game which would hopefully culminate in finally reaching the bottom of the pile encouraging me to persist as the only way is up.....

Turns out it wasn't a flashback which I should of realised at the time because there wasn't any  multicoloured ferrets playing blackjack on the back of a turtle.

The powers ironically look OK . 

As the toon isn't a ridiculously early April fools joke I can only assume it was a pressure placement from up above. Now I know we have some joke characters in game but those feel to me to be more additions for a nod to the historical unique off the wall threads comics went off on in the past. 

This new addition looks ridiculous and rings new alarm bells I didn't realise existed. 

Was there really no I other In game improvements that could of been made instead? Slow death or some form of resurrection? Look within the forum Mpq please for your players preferences.

You are offering the same output again and even though there are now what 190 toons? now in game. In reality you are still offering us less choice than a Welsh Fish and chip shop.
  • AXP_isme
    AXP_isme Posts: 809 Critical Contributor
    I may be going off topic a little but I had to bite on this one. What’s so bad about Welsh fish and chip shops? I mean you can’t get a fried Christmas dinner like you can in some Perthshire places but there are quite a few things you can get in a Welsh chippy that I’ve never seen elsewhere. 
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,115 Chairperson of the Boards
    5/3/5
    His in-game artwork is looney, like looney-tunes looney.  We need a good nickname to reflect this ridiculous artwork.  Maybe "No Neck" or "Hunchback" or "Pinhead" or "Torso-Baby".
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    bbigler said:
    His in-game artwork is looney, like looney-tunes looney.  We need a good nickname to reflect this ridiculous artwork.  Maybe "No Neck" or "Hunchback" or "Pinhead" or "Torso-Baby".
    I have already settled on "Torso Boy". It's a really cute nickname, after all.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    I like the artwork. I think he looks great. Unlike 90% of all the other characters, who look like each other in different costumes, Kingpin5 is unique and stands out.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    bbigler said:
    While I do find the art amusing, I've started calling him "Gossamer"

• Melac
    Melac Posts: 28 Just Dropped In
    Come on people, Kingpinhead. It has to be!
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    I'm not seeing any Kingpins in PVP, just all Kitty teams. Is that indicative of nobody having him yet, or that he isn't any good? Too soon to tell definitively?
  • Punter1
    Punter1 Posts: 718 Critical Contributor
    I'm not seeing any Kingpins in PVP, just all Kitty teams. Is that indicative of nobody having him yet, or that he isn't any good? Too soon to tell definitively?

It's the latter for me.  Mine is 2/5/4 levelled up to 420 un-boosted.  I tried him a few times with his god-mode boost and quickly went back to my shiny new Kitty or good 'ol Thorkoye

Cable wasn't great, but at least boosted with a 50% Thor when he was God-mode he was fun.  KP I'm struggling to get anything good going. 

Getting his blue to do damage seems painful, strong color is blue, and right now no active blue users in the meta so most teams end up with plenty blue most the times.  You also need tiles to make this usable.  I tried him with Kitty to get boosted attack tiles which you then don't want to give away.  With Thor you can fire yellow to get tiles to donate, but that just slows you down.

The match damage reduction from his black is too expensive and underwhelming.  When speed is the name of the game, defense powers are always going to be unexciting.

His green is slow too.  Much rather fire Thor green for AoE.  The attack tiles are ok but also inconsistent.

I'm happy I got my Kitty to 458 with the pulls yesterday because KP is Wasp level!

• ThaRoadWarrior
    edited January 2019
    Did you try him with OML/Kitty? I feel like getting free strikes off of OML would be helpful maybe, sort of the 5* Daken in that way.
  • Punter1

Don't have OML champed so no.  Plus surely Kitty/OML would benefit from a better 3rd than KP.  Let Kitty do her thing with those strikes.

For 5s they need to be good with 1 partner for PVP and I'm not sure who that is for him.  Any 5 with gated or delayed damage has limited usefulness.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    I'm guessing the idea is supposed to be that Kingpin sits on a mountain of blue so his green repeater can spit out strikes, but it sounds like that's probably too slow for pure 5* play. I wonder what he looks like as a transitional 5* paired with a good blue-using 4* like Iceman or maybe Bishop?
  • Punter1

Yeah - think you're supposed to use Blue to get more Blue to help fire Green with attack and Blue again with damage.  But... you can't fire Blue without the attack tiles from Green. 

So actually means you need to save Blue, fire Green, then Blue.  Meanwhile your opponent has already ended up with enough Blue so your Blue is toothless and your Green damage is hidden behind a repeater.

It also means the attack tiles from Green have been set as weak since you're meant to be donating them, so they're not that exciting.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    Does he work at all with Doc Ock and his blue?
  • Punter1
    edited January 2019
    My 1/1/5 Ock which was, until the feeder, 0/0/5 has no comment!
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    I would love to try the 5* Duds team of Banner/Ock/Kingpin if I had the covers on any of them lol