chords of calling lag [Investigating]

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 0 Just Dropped In
My game starts to lag when I draw chords of calling or chords of calling is in my hand.

The lag is of varying duration and has intermittent durations of no lag (short but exists)

If I draw chords of calling or chords of calling is in my hand I notice the game lags significantly. However if I don't have chords of calling in my hand or after I cast the card then there is no lag

The lag is similar to the light to moderate lag when you have a decent amount of servos or energize gems but not a whole lot to cause severe lag

S6 edge
Andriod 6.0.1
Power saving on
Wifi connection

//Edited Title - Tombstone

Comments

• stikxs
    stikxs Posts: 518 Critical Contributor
    I just noticed the same today using Chord. I think the game was running fine while Chord had no stored mana, but once it got some the game stutters bad until I get it out of my hand.
  • Waingro
    Waingro Posts: 6 Just Dropped In
    I have experienced the same.  Additionally it will eventually crash the game.

what I think is happening is the convoke is trying to “recalculate” with every game action.  If a creature or reinforcement enters play it’s a big lag.  Then eventually crash city.
  • rafalele
    rafalele Posts: 876 Critical Contributor
    It is not just a convoke lag, for me is happening without using onvoke cards since 3.1 update.

Just having one support in the battlefield or conversion gems cards in play.
  • arNero
    arNero Posts: 358 Mover and Shaker
    Oh, same here. I wonder if this is a Chord of Calling-only bug, or whether March of the Multitudes, being the other Convoke + Stored Mana card, also has the same issue (thing is, I have a few decks that run both, and I do experience lags when I play those decks)
  • stikxs
    stikxs Posts: 518 Critical Contributor
    rafalele said:
    It is not just a convoke lag, for me is happening without using onvoke cards since 3.1 update.

Just having one support in the battlefield or conversion gems cards in play.
    I am also having slowdowns not just with Chord, but just having a significant number of supports/shields. Just got out of a match where I had 2 gates (about 6 shields each), squire's devotion (9 shields), Hautli2 support (5ish shields), forebear's blade (17 shields). The supports were reinforced around 2-4 times on average. Game stutter got worse and worse as the match went on.
  • arNero
    Ok, so I have tried again, this time with a deck that has only March of the Multitudes and without Chord of Calling. March did not cause the kind of lag that I saw when playing Chord.

Moreover, the lag with Chord has the following properties from what I have observed:

1) The game does NOT begin to lag until we start giving Stored Mana to Chord.
    2) Subsequently after a Chord has been cast, the entire match may become laggy until the end, not necessarily when we have another Chord.

So, devs, look into this soon, please.
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    @Tombstone I've been getting a lot of lag when Vivien's Invocation is fully charged in hand.  Lag alleviates once it is done resolving.

This is an old issue that used to happen with Deploy the Gatewatch (and other fetch spells) back around the release of SOI.  Similar to this, it was not a problem until after an update fixed a tangentially related problem with Fetch spells.  I know it was a different dev team and company, but there may be a note as to how it was fixed back then somewhere.  Please let the new team know.
  • arNero
    Just adding that the Chord lag also applies if it's the AI who has it.

I was in a game where the AI actually HAS Chord, and indeed it has the same lag issue.

Not sure if that's helpful information but just saying.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Just Dropped In
    Mburn7 said:
    @Tombstone I've been getting a lot of lag when Vivien's Invocation is fully charged in hand.  Lag alleviates once it is done resolving.

This is an old issue that used to happen with Deploy the Gatewatch (and other fetch spells) back around the release of SOI.  Similar to this, it was not a problem until after an update fixed a tangentially related problem with Fetch spells.  I know it was a different dev team and company, but there may be a note as to how it was fixed back then somewhere.  Please let the new team know.
    +1 viviens invo when it has mana saved on it (not sure if partial vs full makes a difference) and remains in hand. After casting lag resolves. 
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2018
    Update:  Today I am casting Vivien's Invocation with no lag.  Was it fixed?  Or am I just lucky today?

Updated Update:  Lag is back.  Invocation only worked without lag in Training Grounds.
  • Ark
    Ark Posts: 20 Just Dropped In
    I have also experienced massive lag when Chord of Calling has any amount of stored mana. The lag is alleviated when Chord of Calling is cast (depleted of stored mana).

More interestingly, however, is that during the lag caused by Chord of Calling, I have seen unpredictable game bugs occur. I have a Karn deck that runs Chord of Calling and Infernal Reckoning and there are two scenarios that occur:

Scenario 1: I do not have Chord of Calling in hand, or I do and it has no stored mana. I fully fund Infernal Reckoning on my match and it asks if I want to cast it and I click "not now." Infernal Reckoning is not cast.

Scenario 2: I have Chord of Calling in hand and it has some stored mana. I fully fund Infernal Reckoning on my match and it asks if I want to cast it and I click "not now." Infernal Reckoning is cast on nothing and heals me for 40+ life(a bug that's supposed to be fixed).

Scenario 2 has happened to me many times since the update.
  • arNero
    I'm not sure if I am too late to mention this, but I just found out something that might help solve the Chord lag.

Apparently the lag that happens when Chord of Calling starts storing mana only happens if my deck contains less than 3 creatures.

Here's some results of my observation:

1) I played Ajani token deck with Chord, and my only creature was Verdant Sun's Avatar. As soon as Chord stores mana, lag happens.

2) I play another deck with three creatures (none costs more than 18 mana), and there is absolutely NO lag when storing mana with Chord.

3) So I tested another deck, sometimes filling it with 3 creatures, sometimes less, with creatures being shuffled around between expensive (a.k.a, more than 18 mana and thus cannot be auto-casted by Chord), and cheap. The result: Chord lag consistently happens if I have less than 3 creatures in my deck.

I don't know if this may help or if this is not too late, but I figure I should help put this up. Thanks.
  • Daninja
    Daninja Posts: 11 Just Dropped In
    This has not been resolved yet so I will go ahead and confirm this lag with Chord happening for me too. It doesn't happen with other convoke cards like March. Please look into it.
  • rafalele
    rafalele Posts: 876 Critical Contributor
    +1, it is very boring to play decks with good cards as Chrod or Vivien's Invocation and wait the game to progress.