Fortified Tiles

Options
Boommike
Boommike Posts: 122 Tile Toppler
Sorry to make a new post on this (I’ve spent as much time as I’m willing trying to use the Search feature). 
What is the expected behavior of matching a fortified tile? Do you still get AP for it? 
Noticed in the Prowler pvp event that when I match 3ed 3 fortified tiles, I got 3 AP for the first match, then an additional 3 AP once the fortification was gone (a regular match 3) for a total of 6. As intended?

Comments

• abmoraz
    abmoraz Posts: 712 Critical Contributor
    Options
    This is correct.  Matching a fortified tile is exactly the same as matching an unfortified tile, only instead of the tile destroying, it removes the fortification**.  This leads to fun things like:

- Double the AP when matching 3 fortified tiles (because it matches, gains the AP, loses the fortification on all 3 tiles, which leaves the same match again, which generates AP again, then removes the tiles)
    - Ability to get multiple effects when matching countdown tiles (such as Medusa's Entanglement or 3* Doc Oc's Insult to Injury) because you can match them without destroying them.

** The one exception to this rule is on a match-5 (or more) if the fortified tile is where the critical tile would appear, then the crit tile replaces the fortified tile regardless of the fortification.

• bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,115 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yes, that's how it's supposed to work.  You get the AP and any other effects (like Medusa) from matching the fortified tile.  If you match 3 fortified tiles, then Yes, you end up getting 2 matches out of it. 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    There are some funny edge cases to fortification matching and power interaction:
    ·Dr. Octopus (3*) functions like Medusa in that the secondary effect of the power triggers (creates attack tiles) and the original special tile you matched stays on the board

·3* Hawkeye and Medusa gain the passive benefit of matching special tiles (AP gain/health regen) and the original tile stays after the fortification

·4ocket's green countdown does nothing when it gets matched while fortified, and the countdown remains. Typically matching that away makes the bomb go off early and harm both teams - given the Medusa behavior, you might expect it to do both things, but it behaves more like other countdowns in this case
  • MoosePrime
    MoosePrime Posts: 950 Critical Contributor
    Options
    There are some funny edge cases to fortification matching and power interaction:

·4ocket's green countdown does nothing when it gets matched while fortified, and the countdown remains. Typically matching that away makes the bomb go off early and harm both teams - given the Medusa behavior, you might expect it to do both things, but it behaves more like other countdowns in this case
    The text for Don't Push This Button says "If it's matched away..."  If it's matched while fortified, it stays, thus is not "matched away".
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    Never noticed that distinction; I guess I don't always trust the wording on the powers to be that literal, but I'm glad it aligns with what it says.
  • DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,368 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Huh, I always thought you didn't get the AP for any fortified tiles in a match. Might have been confusing them in my mind with otherwise locked tiles, probably.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2018
    Options
    When Fortified tiles were first introduced, it seems players didn't get ap when they match Fortified tiles. Now they do.

Here are other some (fun) information about Fortified tiles:

1. Green Goblin introduced Fortified tiles in Feb 2016.

2.Tiles that are Fortified cannot be destroyed. 

3. Fortified tiles give the player a unique ability to protect tiles that are valuable to them. 

4. When a tile is Fortified, it has a neon border around it. 

5.  Matching or destroying a tile that is Fortified removes the Fortified effect leaving the tile on the board. 

6. Any kind of tile can be fortified with the exception of Locked tiles and already Fortified tiles. 

7. Fortified tiles, unlike locked tiles, continue to function normally. This means that countdown tiles continue to tick down, strike and protect tiles continue to contribute to match and power strength and attack tiles will continue to do damage at the end of the turn.

8. Tiles that are Fortified can move/fall or match like any other non-locked tile."

9. Matching a Fortified tile will generate AP, deal damage, and activate trap and Countdown tiles when applicable. This was updated in R127 (May 2017).

10. Matching a fortified tile will behave as if you matched tile, but it will not be destroyed. This means that any tile that activates when matched will now be able to be matched twice! 

• jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    There are a few powers where fortification has some downsides too.  For instance, if Medusa's countdown is fortified, match-4's in the countdown's row or column no longer destroy it, so you don't get your attack tiles.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    jamesh said:
    There are a few powers where fortification has some downsides too.  For instance, if Medusa's countdown is fortified, match-4's in the countdown's row or column no longer destroy it, so you don't get your attack tiles.
    Never noticed that, but I just tested it out with 5* Hawkeye/Medua/GSBW and sure enough, it didn't trigger the attack tiles.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    DeNappa said:
    Huh, I always thought you didn't get the AP for any fortified tiles in a match. Might have been confusing them in my mind with otherwise locked tiles, probably.
    It was updated a few months ago to give you the AP. It used to be as you say.
  • Articyular
    Articyular Posts: 15 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Kind of funny, if you have Medusa and Hawkeye on a team, and make a match-3 entirely composed of enemy fortified attack/strike/protects, you get a whopping 48 AP from just that match; if the underlying tiles are purple and you get really lucky with Medusa, you could go from 0 to 30 purple AP right there
  • Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 971 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Matching 3 fortified tiles with Prowler sadly leaves you without the stolen items. When you match, he does steal/convert them, but as they are now unfortified, they match away immediately. 
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Dogface said:
    Matching 3 fortified tiles with Prowler sadly leaves you without the stolen items. When you match, he does steal/convert them, but as they are now unfortified, they match away immediately. 
    Yep. Of course if Medusa is on your team you'll also have gained 9 AP (plus the 6 AP from the double-match) and then healed your team for a bunch.