Are supports still a thing?

TheBaku
TheBaku Posts: 55 Match Maker
edited December 2018 in MPQ General Discussion
Been a while,  no new supports.  no refresh of supports in basic tokens,   no word from developers on support availability...   are they gone,  or are we just pretending they never existed?  Did I miss something?  Where are we at?

Comments

• Mrmjchess1
    Mrmjchess1 Posts: 8 Just Dropped In
    Unfortunately, New support live in game atm. If you don’t see it you may have to update the app. 
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,115 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah, I just noticed the new Tinkerer support today, which wasn't announced.  I like supports, they can be very useful at high levels and on the right character, but for most people that's not a reality.  I've gotten to the point where I don't have any useful supports to put RISO into.  And if I have to choose between spending 250 CP in HFH to get a Master Support Token or pulling 10 from Latest, I'm choosing Latest every time.  Building my 4*s and 5*s are more important than building up supports.  If they sold that same HFH deal for let's say $10, then I'd buy it (because a high level support can potentially improve my PVE gameplay). 

Now, if only supports were enabled in PVP (but just for me, not my opponent).
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    I for one continue to pretend they don't exist.  Keep hoping they eventually go away or at least never snake their way into PvP.
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2018
    Yes supports are a thing, except a new one is active now and nothing on the forums and the support store is not updated.  
  • Ed_Dragonrider
    Ed_Dragonrider Posts: 578 Critical Contributor
    But there is a vault, and hfh offers with tokens, like usual...
  • Twomp_thaDJ
    Twomp_thaDJ Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    edited December 2018
    I just posted something asking the same question... with them putting the Tinkerer out that answers my initial question.. my last inquiry would be when is the support store going to actually be updated, since it hasn’t been updated since the children of Thanos were put in.. aka when Infinity war was released if I’m not mistaken 

@Brigby
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,242 Chairperson of the Boards
    But there is a vault, and hfh offers with tokens, like usual...
    Same old, same old.  18 Supports are in the basic tokens. 21(!) are only available in the tokens when a new one is released.  

Please!!!   Update the tokens or something.  They’ve been the same for 6 months now.
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2018
    I've literally only been putting RISO into my 4* supports. I haven't done anything else with them in ages now. They literally have become something that just goes on in the background for me. Bored of only drawing dupes from the store, its pretty much killed my interest in them. 
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm going to say no, they're not still a thing. At least as far as players are concerned. (Let me double-check the supports thread here on the forums... nope, still nothing except crickets.)

Not even the developers are that enthused by them anymore. Despite the fact that a new one came out today, it did so with zero fanfare.
  • NotBAMF
    NotBAMF Posts: 408 Mover and Shaker

I have no earthly idea how long it has been since I've gotten a new support. On the rare occasion I get a token, it's a duplicate.

• Mrcl25
    Mrcl25 Posts: 137 Tile Toppler
    broll said:
    I for one continue to pretend they don't exist.  Keep hoping they eventually go away or at least never snake their way into PvP.
    Me too!
  • Twomp_thaDJ
    Twomp_thaDJ Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    Dormammu said:

Not even the developers are that enthused by them anymore. Despite the fact that a new one came out today, it did so with zero fanfare.
    I’m definitely feeling that the devs are deflated with this. Especially since they still don’t have announcement for the new one 
  • spidyjedi84
    spidyjedi84 Posts: 514 Critical Contributor
    Eh. Mine are all leveling equally as I get the RISO. There are good ones and mediocre ones, but I'd rather have them all at max level so if I do get higher levels of certain supports in the future, I can prioritize the new support to get to the same level as the others.
  • TheBaku
    TheBaku Posts: 55 Match Maker
    Guess the Prowler one answered that question!

• jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't understand the move to 1/3/5 Supports. It just doesn't make sense to me.
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    jackstar0 said:
    Supports. It just doesn't make sense to me.
    fixed.
  • bluewolf
    jackstar0 said:
    I don't understand the move to 1/3/5 Supports. It just doesn't make sense to me.
    Their “budget” for perks is such that 3 more powerful effects is equal to 5 weaker effects.  So it’s a trade off (going to only 3 perks) to try to make Supports more interesting, especially to higher-level players, by making what they do more powerful.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Support is broken if it is made available easily. I'm pleased that they are taking the time to analyse data about how supports affect the game as a whole.
  • bluewolf
    edited December 2018
    Support is broken if it is made available easily. I'm pleased that they are taking the time to analyse data about how supports affect the game as a whole.
    I think there are plenty of ways to make Supports more available without....breaking them?  I'm not sure what this statement means, exactly.

Putting a single Basic token in progression in PVE and PVP that contains at least some of the "newer" (aka, released since April) Supports would be a big step.  They don't need to open them up monthly or anything, just begin to roll them out slowly (maybe you have a "Latest 3 (or 5 or 7) Supports" that don't enter these tokens until a new one is released and one cycles in).

Make the high level perks hard to get (as is already the case) by reserving Master or Advanced tokens for high placement, with occasional sales or special vaults happening.

Side note:  Are all the high level perks always that good?  Ex:  I have a Rank 4 Pizza Dog on Gladiathor because of a 1.2X crit multiplier.  The other effects all work really well with him (I won't list them all here.)  BUT: I literally don't care if I ever get the Rank 5 perk, which would increase purple damage (by 150 at level 200).  But the question of perk level design is a different discussion, I suppose.

Maybe, maybe offer a possibility to select a "favorite" Support so that even if you can't know you'll get the one you are hoping for, you have a better chance of getting it.

While we don't know, I do think the developers are looking at some data.  But I think the really constrained availability has greatly depressed people's interest and willingness to embrace this distribution model.  That is, I would assume the earlier "new" Supports, such as the Royal Talon Fighter or Vibranium Ore saw more activity in their release offerings than the newer ones, as people have become disenchanted with the way they are being handled.  So I'm not sure what new data shows them.

I do recognize that the vocal people here on the forum and in other discussion areas do not necessarily represent what other players are doing (and spending), but many (most?) of the more engaged players share the same opinion about Supports at this point:  Please make them more available in some way.  It has been stagnant for a long time.

EDIT:  I forgot to mention that the developers offered players the ability to directly buy a Support (with a bunch of other things) during the "Chain Bundle" offers.  I didn't buy many of them, but did buy the Deadpool bundle partly to take advantage of the ability to get a Chimichanga Rank 3 without RNG getting in the way.  Since then, no other direct Support purchase opportunity has been presented.  But it seems to be something the developers are at least considering.