Deadpool vs. MPQ could use an update

Borstock
Borstock Posts: 2,516 Chairperson of the Boards
Perhaps this can be said of most events, but I feel like the Deadpool vs MPQ event could use an update. Most of the AI teams, outside of the 5* nodes, are the older characters. For example, couldn't the FF node benefit from Reed replacing Bagman, or being added as a 4th character so there's, you know, four of them?

Also, since the teams were assembled from a smaller roster, some of them feel like they were just sort of thrown together. Why not a Wakanda node of Shuri, Okoye, and BP? Why not an Ant-Man, Wasp, Ghost node? Why not a Cable, Domino, Colossus node?

I feel like the only event that gets any kind of regular update is the Simulator now that the Gauntlet is no longer in rotation. Is there a particular reason this would be a difficult change to implement? I feel like this might be an easy way for the game to feel fresh without any kind of drastic re-design or even a brand new event. 

Comments

• fnedude
    fnedude Posts: 374 Mover and Shaker
    I suggested this to Brigby 6mo+ ago.  Don't count on it happening.  It would be so easy to do (update the program essentially).
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Brigby mentioned somewhere the probable reasons why certain suggestions didn't make it into the game, or have yet to make it into the game.

There are so many factors to consider such as importance, priorities, conceptual design, approval, bug-testing etc. Things like this takes months and not take minutes, hours or days like many believe. 

When you are working with many teams and third parties, things don't happen as fast as you think. I think a lot of players here overestimated how fast a suggestion can make its way to the game. 

Besides, MPQ is not a homebrew game where anyone can go into the game code, make some changes within minutes, update the game, and everyone is happy.

I welcome new node to DDQ. However, I'm afraid that if the new node doesn't give a 5* or 4* cover, or at least 20-25CP equivalent, many here will call the node useless. 
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    There's enough new characters in the game that they could extend this to four 24 hour subs rather than two 48 hours subs.
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    I just wrote this in another thread but it applies here, too. I completely agree this and many events (all?) could use updates. But it seems likely, because events are largely static, that PvE events must require approval of the rights-holders and once they're set, they're set because of the legal/business effort involved in changing them. There seems to be some flexibility built into certain events (like Simulator and Gauntlet, as you mentioned) but it's not as often as we consumer-players would hope or expect. Marvel must keep a very, very tight leash on how their properties are used and portrayed. I could well be wrong, but this seems like a probable barrier to change.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,894 Chairperson of the Boards
    jamesh said:
    There's enough new characters in the game that they could extend this to four 24 hour subs rather than two 48 hours subs.
    That’d be awesome. 
  • DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,368 Chairperson of the Boards
    Brigby mentioned somewhere the probable reasons why certain suggestions didn't make it into the game, or have yet to make it into the game.

There are so many factors to consider such as importance, priorities, conceptual design, approval, bug-testing etc. Things like this takes months and not take minutes, hours or days like many believe. 

When you are working with many teams and third parties, things don't happen as fast as you think. I think a lot of players here overestimated how fast a suggestion can make its way to the game. 

Besides, MPQ is not a homebrew game where anyone can go into the game code, make some changes within minutes, update the game, and everyone is happy.

I welcome new node to DDQ. However, I'm afraid that if the new node doesn't give a 5* or 4* cover, or at least 20-25CP equivalent, many here will call the node useless. 
    If it would take months of coding and testing to change the opponents and flavor text of a few nodes in an existing PVE event, I would severely questing the quality of the code. (Typically that kind of stuff should be in some kind of easy to edit template format)
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    DeNappa said:

If it would take months of coding and testing to change the opponents and flavor text of a few nodes in an existing PVE event, I would severely questing the quality of the code. (Typically that kind of stuff should be in some kind of easy to edit template format)
    Yes, it is (or should be) highly modular, I'd think. Not brittle and/or constantly bespoke.
  • HoundofShadow
    Coding is not as simple as what it seems. Microsoft Windows were released since 1985 and that's at least 33 years of coding Microsoft Windows. One would expect them to master their codes and write a perfect program. But, Microsoft Windows are still full of bugs. 

Also, you forgotten about the approval stage. Without approval, logically, there's no point touching the code. Assuming that "Refreshing DDQ" has indeed been approved, the devs still need to slot "Refreshing DDQ" into their future schedule, according to urgency or importance. 

If I were to use Eisenhower's Urgent/Important Principle, I would probably file it under the pile of tasks where it says "not urgent" and "not important".
  • Vins2
    Vins2 Posts: 183 Tile Toppler
    I think they've established that some things like double iso for LRs are pretty much a flick of a switch.  They have, without any fanfare or patting themselves on the back, replaced 3 star Oc with 5 star Oc in the Aunt May pve.  As mentioned in the original post, they routinely rotate new headache teams into Simulator.  These are all things we know. 

Not speculation like teams and third parties.  It's changing one already in-game character for another, they don't change the inherent AI or change the point values of nodes.  Bug testing  for character swaps?  If bad bugs slip past the cracks for new characters, they aren't gonna worry about bug testing of a character swap. 
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    They couldn’t even think forward enough to put the new costumes in Cage KK and DP for this pve, the only one that they could do this for, so I  not holding out hope for character updates for AI. 
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,572 Chairperson of the Boards
    Borstock said:
    Perhaps this can be said of most events, but I feel like the Deadpool vs MPQ event could use an update. Most of the AI teams, outside of the 5* nodes, are the older characters. For example, couldn't the FF node benefit from Reed replacing Bagman, or being added as a 4th character so there's, you know, four of them?

Also, since the teams were assembled from a smaller roster, some of them feel like they were just sort of thrown together. Why not a Wakanda node of Shuri, Okoye, and BP? Why not an Ant-Man, Wasp, Ghost node? Why not a Cable, Domino, Colossus node?

I feel like the only event that gets any kind of regular update is the Simulator now that the Gauntlet is no longer in rotation. Is there a particular reason this would be a difficult change to implement? I feel like this might be an easy way for the game to feel fresh without any kind of drastic re-design or even a brand new event. 
    Agree with all of this.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards

Getting approvals from third parties for marketing and usage can be a long grueling process.  Changing which chars shows up in an event is  not.  I’d even believe that they need marvel approval to rewrite and reconfigure and existing event.

And least be frank here, after 4* years if they are coding events in assembly language, then they missed the course on modern software design.

In all likelihood it’s some spec .ini file that that loads featured chars and dialup script. And is complied into a game event module.
  • DAZ0273

I would be very dubious that the Dev’s require Marvel’s approval for simply changing what characters are used in nodes but they might possibly have ongoing story content approval. For example – having Nova involved in the Guardians of the Galaxy storyline probably didn’t require rigorous wrangling with any legal departments. As long as dialogue was approved or at least not seen to be out of character, I would imagine that is about that.

The obvious answer is time – all of this takes time with no obvious upfront benefit to the Company.

• Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Moving to suggestions

• HoundofShadow
    If it's simply changing which characters you face, then I think it's down to priority and importance. This reminds me of Okoye's Spear blocking the bottom tiles in Steam. It took them approximately 3 months before the Spear was adjusted. 
  • crackninja
    crackninja Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
    jamesh said:
    This would make me very sad.  Love this event right after boss events, a true break with minimal loss of resources (iso not being particularly critical these days).
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,894 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2018
    Isn't there a bunch of dialogue in DP v MPQ specific to the characters he's facing?  I think Moonstone tells him he needs therapy and he refers to Daredevil as a boyscout or something like that.  It's been so long since I've actually read the dialogue.  Also, aren't all the nodes named after characters as well? Like "no funisher" or something like that. I think it'd take more than just plugging in different characters.  You'd need all new dialogue/art which at that point they might as well make a new event.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Isn't there a bunch of dialogue in DP v MPQ specific to the characters he's facing?  I think Moonstone tells him he needs therapy and he refers to Daredevil as a boyscout or something like that.  It's been so long since I've actually read the dialogue.  Also, aren't all the nodes named after characters as well? Like "no funisher" or something like that. I think it'd take more than just plugging in different characters.  You'd need all new dialogue/art which at that point they might as well make a new event.
    It varies. There are some that are pretty locked in. But there are also some that are wide open, and others that only need one specific character and/or characters from a group.
    There are even a few that would actually make more sense with a newer character replacing someone who's currently in there. Agent Venom instead of Gamora in Stars & Stripes for Never, or Coulson instead of Professor X in the Last and the Furious, for instance.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    There's worse offenses than a story that doesn't make sense. If nothing else they could throw in variants, almost every character has in that storyline has one. 
  • DAZ0273
    Logan's Heroes is another one - having Rocket and Groot on that team is so random. Bring in Rogue and Nightcrawler or some of the other X-Men released.