*** Captain America (Super Soldier) ***

Comments

• Lyrian wrote:
    Vairelome wrote:
    Almost certainly b). Ooh, how about a third option?

c) 4**** "Gold" version of 2** Captain America!

IceIX has said that "Gold" is the moniker for a 1* or 2** character that is allowed to level up to 141.

Aw, that's a pity. 4* Cap would be thematically appropriate; it's the tier of marginal usefulness!
    CWTyger wrote:
    I find his powers to be very useful in the team I play with. You'd be surprised what a well-timed Peacemaker can do.

In fairness, I've used Cap in some specific PvE situations and found him borderline useful. The problem is, his yellow requires a long game to see any use; his red does not do enough damage per AP to compare with other red skills; and his blue is a short stun that is again, too expensive.

The AP return on each of his skills is significant, in that you can start chaining them with a bit of effort once you get started, but the initial AP cost is steep enough that in PvP (for instance), I always leave Cap until last and very rarely see any of his abilities actually used. In PvE, he's got some utility mostly against minions; in PvP, he's a big not-scary lump of health to carve through.
  • Ok, could some kind soul please link the announcement? I'm not seeing it.
  • How would you scale his blue though? If he's gold, he prolly won't be as lazy as Thor. Red is his only decent scaleable skill. His yellow is already powerful enough. Unless scaling includes AP cost adjustments and other such tweaks, I don't see it working.
  • Ok, could some kind soul please link the announcement? I'm not seeing it.

I don't think there's an announcement on the forums. It's just a pop-up in the game.
  • Toxicadam wrote:
    9 day event? Ewww

Probably have alliance awards, too.

I'm in it for the ISO....

I'm interested in what the Alliance awards may be. Might encourge me to find one
  • Kyoku wrote:
    Ok, could some kind soul please link the announcement? I'm not seeing it.

I don't think there's an announcement on the forums. It's just a pop-up in the game.

Popup text:
    Win Captain America (Steve Rodgers)!
    Mar 21-Mar 30: THE SIMULATOR
    You could win a NEW character!
  • Dayraven wrote:
    Hope they're using the classic costume at least.

I think it's going to be the maskless design here (which would be why it's designated as 'Steve Rogers' rather than 'Classic')

http://marvel.wikia.com/Steve_Rogers:_S ... er_Vol_1_1

I think you're probably right, the subtitle didn't register when I first read it.
  • Should I expect 10 days of 200+ level bad guys?
  • MikeHock wrote:
    Should I expect 10 days of 200+ level bad guys?

Yep, as well as a handful of high-point nodes that require, oh, lets say daredevil and doctor doom
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm not really looking forward to 3* Cap (at least not with the exact abilities as 2* as others have mentioned), but I am looking forward to lots of iso and hopefully some good progression rewards and token pulls. Will probably shoot for the 2* cover reward this time around, assuming it will be useful to me.
  • Cousin Simpson
    Cousin Simpson Posts: 1,086 Chairperson of the Boards
    How would you scale his blue though?

It would be a stun... and 1 damage.
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,311 Site Admin
    Doragon wrote:
    Dayraven wrote:

I think it's going to be the maskless design here (which would be why it's designated as 'Steve Rogers' rather than 'Classic')

Would be pretty darned cool if that was the actual cover they are gonna be using wouldn't it?
    Nope, second printing variant. This one:
    http://www.comics.org/issue/1093410/
  • MaxCavalera
    MaxCavalera Posts: 425 Mover and Shaker
    IceIX can you say if there is going to be alliance rewards linked with this?
  • LordWill
    LordWill Posts: 341
    I just wonder why people use him at all other than being buffed in tournaments and occasionally use him for countdown tiles. He really isn't that great yet the Dev's say he is one of the most popular characters?

Could it be that's because every other token pull is a Captain America?
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    LordWill wrote:
    I just wonder why people use him at all other than being buffed in tournaments and occasionally use him for countdown tiles. He really isn't that great yet the Dev's say he is one of the most popular characters?

It's because Cap's a popular figure in the Marvel universe, and 99% of players who play this game are casual "play on the bus" type players who just want to play with their favorite Marvel superheroes, as opposed to minmax and figure out the optimal character compositions like us folk.
  • IceIX
    IceIX can you say if there is going to be alliance rewards linked with this?
    Err, I already had in the past I thought. Yes.
  • Jathro
    Jathro Posts: 323 Mover and Shaker
    It's likely he sees a lot of play because his covers are so readily available. Players transitioning from 1* to 2* have an easy time getting Cap
  • KaioShinDE
    KaioShinDE Posts: 265 Mover and Shaker
    LordWill wrote:

Of course, when you are a new player, all the talk on the forums about which character and which specific build is better doesn't matter **** since you don't have the covers. You start out by using the hand you are dealt. And Cap is being dealt a lot. Not to mention the average casual wouldn't even know he is a bad character. When I first played against him in PvP I was extremely frustrated with his abilities coming back over and over after one use. He looks strong enough to the average Joe.
  • IceIX wrote:
    Doragon wrote:
    Dayraven wrote:

Would be pretty darned cool if that was the actual cover they are gonna be using wouldn't it?
    Nope, second printing variant. This one:
    http://www.comics.org/issue/1093410/
    Awesome love the look of cap in the heroic age and will try hard to win him whether he's a lazy character or new abilities.
  • IceIX
    I have a feeling Steve Rogers Super Soldier version will see MUCH more high level play than Modern. Staring at his maxed out abilities at the moment and wondering how I can spend enough time in the Sim Challenge to get him myself this go around. icon_e_smile.gif