Sentries

qandols
qandols Posts: 1,160 Chairperson of the Boards
Am I ever fed up with these annoying enemies in this boss event. Was it always so?

Comments

• qandols
    Having to fight three of the green ones level 350 something makes me cringe. They take nearly two thirds of my JJ:s health. Only redeeming thing is they help to cut down my Thor to half health :)
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    X-Pool is pretty awesome against the green ones, because they pretty reliably manage to set off all the Countdown for What tiles. I only have him at 210 before the boost, and he holds up pretty well against the Lvl270ish Sentries I have to deal with. If you've got him champed, he should work as well against 350s, I would think. Hawkguy is probably out of the question at that point, but Medusa, Mordo*, or Kraven can be helpful as well.
    The ones that really smack me around are the blue ones. Those critical tiles start getting way out of hand really fast.
    *Since they tend to cause a lot of cascades, and never spend any AP, his purple ends up getting obscene, especially on the Waves.
  • qandols
    Yes, I use X-Pool against Ultron, he's wonderful. I had not thought on using him against sentries. Good thought!
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    sentries are arguably the most out of whack enemies in the game. they get so many moves per turn compared to any other characters. up to 3 swarms, and any resulting cascades, then they get a board move, then they get any attack tiles they have produced at the end. potentially 5 attacks per turn! plus they spam criticals or healing when the board gets flooded. 

that being said, guy in the other thread was asking for a true challenge in this game so, here it is. maybe.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    It feels annoying that they have passives *and* get to make a move as well.

Just be glad they changed their mind about letting Ultron have moved every turn. Yeesh, that event was not fun.
  • Asmodaeus
    Asmodaeus Posts: 100 Tile Toppler
    The sentry bots are by far my least favorite goon to face for many of the already mentioned reasons. Add to it the obscene scaling up of their levels during this event and it gives me a massive headache. Although on a brighter note, I did realize that mockingbird is a great foil to them, the green ones especially. The uncanny ability for these bots to get cascade after cascade is beyond frustrating, so might as well bring someone in who takes advantage of all those match 4 & 5's and turn it into some pain
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dudes need to get on the Kraven love train. He makes sentries want to match their own tiles. I pair him with Medusa on the side nodes. Take out the blues first because getting hit with criticals sucks at any level, then green, and by now you should have enough blacks to do Kraven's nuke to take out the yellow. I really wish there was a merc system in place where you could do missions for other people and get like half the iso for it. I'll do your lame sentry missions. Pay up. :)
  • jtsings
    jtsings Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
       My matches with them are not short, unfortunately, but at the Sentries 280 level I usually leave my match with all but the featured character at full health with Hawk3ye and Medusa at 5/4/4.  I usually concentrate on getting purple first and try to steal a protect tile, then I focus on getting black.  Once I have enough black and enough purple for Medusa, which isn't hard with all the special tiles they create, I fire black to heal Hawk3ye and immediately hit Medusa's purple, which usually steals his random enemy tiles right back.  I just recently champed Dazzler and on her nodes, she just cleans house with her boosted green aoe damage.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    qandols said:
    Only redeeming thing is they help to cut down my Thor to half health :)
    Not quite a great thing if your Thor is already under 50%  :s 
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Okoye + Medusa is as effective against Sentries as they are against anything else so that's mainly what I use in this event.

The team I used to use was Medusa + 3Hawkeye. It's not fast but the team is tailor made to deal with those damned robots. Sentries are good at destroying Medusa's countdown tile, which is a good thing, and they're spamming so many special tiles that you'll be swimming in purple and blue AP. You can use Hawkeye's purple or Medusa's to steal all their specials. With all the blue you'll burn through Hawkeye's quiver pretty fast and start doing straight damage with every cast. It really doesn't seem to matter what level the sentries are as Medusa's healing can keep up.

It's too bad all the side nodes are essentials - Kraven would make a great 3rd there.
  • Asmodaeus
    Asmodaeus Posts: 100 Tile Toppler
    shardwick said:
    Dudes need to get on the Kraven love train. He makes sentries want to match their own tiles. I pair him with Medusa on the side nodes. Take out the blues first because getting hit with criticals sucks at any level, then green, and by now you should have enough blacks to do Kraven's nuke to take out the yellow. I really wish there was a merc system in place where you could do missions for other people and get like half the iso for it. I'll do your lame sentry missions. Pay up. :)
    Oh yeah, Kraven. Forgot he's in this game...
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    They were an even bigger pest before Hawkguy was added to the game.
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Yes. Yes it was. I hate them but I think I still hate dark avengers more
    And then there are the v.e.r.y. s.l.o.w. m.i.n.d.l.e.s.s. o.n.e.s. ... Ugh.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hawkguy & Medusa was my go to.
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,115 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2018
    Same here, Medusa & Hawkguy.  A really bad idea is doing Medusa and Carnage because Sentries start healing and making crits very soon. 
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2018
    3* Hawkeye and 3* Dr Ock/Kamala Khan. Hawkguy gains ap non-stop. Pop Hawkguy's purple for an extra 1000+ damage, followed by Dr Ock's Manipulation for at least 1k damage per special tile destroyed. It's not difficult to 1HKO those sentries, especially the blue ones.
  • skittledaddy
    skittledaddy Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    I know the event is over, but other options that worked well for me (other than those listed above) are Teen Jean for her Pink and Blue (especially against mutliple Greens, who are almost guaranteed to cause a 5-match sometime during the battle), Wiccan for his Chain Lightning, and Squirrel Girl for her Pink.
    Additionally, knowing they never use their AP, I also brought come chars that can exploit their unusally high AP tallies. Chars such as Yondu (Black), Nightcrawler (Blue) and one more that I can't remember right now.
  • Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    Kraven + Okoye
  • JackTenrec
    JackTenrec Posts: 808 Critical Contributor

Additionally, knowing they never use their AP, I also brought come chars that can exploit their unusally high AP tallies. Chars such as Yondu (Black), Nightcrawler (Blue) and one more that I can't remember right now.
    Mordo.