General advice on my roster

Loosie
Loosie Posts: 397 Mover and Shaker
So I am at the point of building up my 4* and slowly working into 5* land.

I currently have all 4* (with 6 champed), I have all 3*s champed (with only 2 below 200), and am currently on about my 5th round of 2*s that farm is going well (except Bagman, as I sold him a long long time ago before he was limited and only have 3 purples for him). I also have 16 5* (3 covers on 4 being the most).

My current thought is to keep going to the LL store whenever I hit 25CP or get an LT. I'm trying to to get Cable, as then I'd have the three latest 5*s and be good for when they cycle through PVE. Once I finally get a Cable cover I'd go back to shopping out of the CL store at 20CP to keep building up my 4*s and get the other 5*s I don't already have.

I'm not a big time PVP player, do enough to get some valuable stuff from them, and try to at least hit the 10-pack progression reward, however I play tons of PVE, going for full progression rather than placement. The one exception to this is for a character release.

I currently have 3.4M ISO, and 2k HP, my HP pool is lacking, but I don't have a hard time building it up. It's currently earmarked for Prowler and hopefully Cable.

I generally make any 3* that would get an HP, 4* or LT reward as my BH, the two exceptions are Cyclops (as the next cover reward would give me the last cover for 4* Cyclops and then I can champ him), and Patch as I have XFW champed and OML is one of my 5*s. For 4* BHs I have Cyclops (to try and get him champed), MEH and XFW (as I have 5* Loki and OML), and then I usually also rotate in the 4* that is coming from Daily Rewards (currency Kate Bishop). the 5* BH are just all the ones I currently have rostered.

Just wondering if there is something else I can do to get those 4*s -> 5*s or if I seem to be doing alright so far.

Here is a link to my current roster:

https://mpq.gamependium.com/rosters/Loosie/

Comments

• bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,115 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've looked at your roster.  Your current plans are not bad (going back and forth between Latest and Classic), it's the best way to collect all 5*s to access PVE nodes and build your 4*s too.  But there's a major downside to this method; it will take you years to champ 5*s this way.  This is the inherent problem with the system, newer players can't champ any 5*s quickly without hoarding.  Now hoarding probably sounds like a bad idea since you're trying to champ your 4*s.  But it's a strategy with a long term goal of getting to 5* play.  There are several things to consider here:

1) You're playing PVE for full progression........but you don't need access to the 5* node to get full progression rewards.  So, it won't hurt you to stop opening Classics to roster all 5*s.  If you want to rank in the top 10, then you do need those 5*s.  Otherwise, it doesn't matter too much. 
    2) Your 3* champs are getting into the high level champ rewards which help you get more LT and CP.  Once all 3*s are max champed, then this resource is gone for a long time.  It would be wise to use this resource to help you transition to 5* champs.
    3) You can still champ 4*s while hoarding LT and CP.  It's slower, yes, but consider the future: in about 8 months you could save 350 LL pulls and then enter 5* play.  If you don't save, then you spend the next 12 months champing 4*s while all of your 5*s only go up to 5-6 covers each. 
    4) PVP is not very important to you - so the real question is: what will help you in PVE?  5*Thanos is the king of speed, but you have to manage health packs.  5*Strange is good, but he needs to get to high levels before he outshines 3*Strange.  5*Panther works great with 5*Thanos for clearing nodes fast (especially waves).  Kitty Pryde is also great in PVE, especially with 4*Grocket, Carnage, Medusa and Thanos.  I've heard that Chavez is also good in PVE too. 

So, I think you should seriously consider what your long term goals are.  Either stay in 4* land for years, or slow down your 4* progress to enter 5* play within a year, or perhaps have a hybrid approach where you build your 4*s for the next several months and then start hoarding to champ 5*s in the future. 
  • Loosie
    Thank for the advice. I've been debating hoarding LTs and CP to take a run at champing a 5*. The main reason for trying to have the 5* is that even though I can get full progression without it, having them does get me an event token and 2 CP on the first two clears in each side mission.

I was hoarding for a while when I was slow at getting HP, but I made a mistake I think at the time by getting a JJ cover from H4H for 250 instead of continuing to hoard for a run.

I think I might take your hybrid approach until I get a Cable cover then probably start hoarding. You are right it would slow down my 4* build, but when I spend the hoard it would explode them. 
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Excellent insights from @bbigler and I'll just add this...

If you don't play much PvP there's little chance of covering the 3 latest 5-stars while they're still in the LT token pool using the 'pull as you go' method of using all LTs and CPs on Latest Legends tokens as you get them. (I don't play much PvP either, so I'm in the same boat.) That leaves only one method of ever entering 5-star play if that is your eventual goal - hoarding.

Now, what hoarding does is slam the breaks on your 4-star progression temporarily. You'll still get that progression, but it has to wait until your hoard is big enough to fully cover three 5-stars in one pull. All the 4-stars you would have gotten will still come, but you limit your 5-star pulls to the select three of your choosing.

But I don't think you're at that point yet. With only six 4-star champs you've only scratched the surface of that tier. Your stash of 3.4 million ISO may seem big, but that's only enough to champ less than ten of the seventy(!) 4-stars remaining.

I'd continue doing what you're doing until you have most (if not all) of the classic 4-stars fully covered. Once you have them fully covered, you can begin your hoard. With so many unchamped 4-stars, adding more covers from the classic pool isn't going to help you beyond adding a lot of saved covers until you do get the ISO to champ the bulk of them (if not all of them). Get as many of your 4-stars to 13 covers as you can as cheaply as you can (20 CP) and then start thinking about switching to a Latest Legends-only pull method.
  • bbigler
    edited December 2018
    Dormammu said:

I'd continue doing what you're doing until you have most (if not all) of the classic 4-stars fully covered. Once you have them fully covered, you can begin your hoard. With so many unchamped 4-stars, adding more covers from the classic pool isn't going to help you beyond adding a lot of saved covers until you do get the ISO to champ the bulk of them (if not all of them). Get as many of your 4-stars to 13 covers as you can as cheaply as you can (20 CP) and then start thinking about switching to a Latest Legends-only pull method.
    It would take a long time to fully cover most 4*s, perhaps too long.  If @Loosie started hoarding after a few months, then there are some good potential teams here (before putting on the 4* brakes):
    IM40 + Thoress/Cyclops + Gwenpool/Moon Knight
    Peggy & 4*Star Lord work great against PVE goons too.  My previous goon killing teams were:
    4*Star Lord + Switch + 4*Cyclops => overwrite enemy CD tiles and SL death punch
    IM40 + Peggy + Rhulk/Kamala
  • Loosie
    bbigler said:
    Dormammu said:

It would take a long time to fully cover most 4*s, perhaps too long.  If @Loosie started hoarding after a few months, then there are some good potential teams here (before putting on the 4* brakes):
    IM40 + Thoress/Cyclops + Gwenpool/Moon Knight
    Peggy & 4*Star Lord work great against PVE goons too.  My previous goon killing teams were:
    I just champed him (see positive moments thread).... and he's boosted in Venom Bomb.... :o
  • bbigler
    Loosie said:
    bbigler said: 
    I just champed him (see positive moments thread).... and he's boosted in Venom Bomb.... :o
    He should work well for you then, just pair him with Switch and collect purple and red. Overwrite enemy tiles and when you have 5+ CD tiles, his punch should 1-shot enemies. Spec him to 5/5/3 for more defense and 3/5/5 for more offense. Switch's green can also destroy enemy CD tiles or get you more red.

Pair with cyclops (4* is better) to generate more red. You could even pair with Hulkbuster to generate red. I found that this team could take on the toughest goons in PVE. 
  • Loosie
    I thought it would be fun to re-visit this thread of mine. 2 years later and I'm firmly in 5-star land. All my 4s (except latest and limiteds) are champed, and I'm also now champing new 5s before the leave the LL vault.

My short-term goal is to get my last two classic 5s to have all 3 powers. (Silver Surfer is 4/1/0 and Wasp is 3/0/0). This is being done via 4* feeders faved and PvP rewards. Silver Surfer is coming up soon in PvP so he'll be done. Wasp will be a bit longer. Ant-Man is at 299, so his next level will get one of those missing powers, and with Wasp shards being award in the next PvE event I'll be halfway to her last power, but of course that means another 17 levels for Ant-Man.

Long-term goals is to continue covering and champing the 5s. BRB is my current shard target as he's only 3/3/3. I'm hoping one of my 300+ 4s is his feeder to help speed him along (if they assign feeders for the newer 5s)

Who know maybe I'll check-in in another year or 2.