Jump-In-Front behavior - Thing vs Bishop [Investigating]

ThaRoadWarrior
ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
In the Bishop event, I'm seeing (and using) a lot of Thing/Bishop teams. When I use It's Clobberin Time against an opponent Bishop, the opponent Thing will jump-in-front and take the hit thanks to Rock Solid. However, the stun component gets applied to the original target, and the damage goes to Thing. Is this intended, or should the entire effect of Its Clobberin Time get applied to (in this case) Thing? Do Rogue, Lockjaw, or any of the other jump-in-fronts behave this way where they eat the damage and leave the status effect?

Comments

• TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah, I've seen that happen with other jump-in-front effects. Both for game effects like stuns and purely display effects, like the blood splash from Deadpool's A Little off the Top showing up for the character who was originally targeted, rather than for whoever jumped in front.
  • Tombstone
    Tombstone ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 1,208 Chairperson of the Boards
    @ThaRoadWarrior
    Thank you for reporting. The team is aware of this issue with interception-type powers. I'll add this to the bug list. 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Just out of curiosity, what is the intended behavior here? Is the entire effect of the power supposed to go to the character who jumped in front? If so, would that stun on It's Clobberin Time happen before Rock Solid produced any defend tiles?
  • Tensuun
    Tensuun Posts: 98 Match Maker
    User @ursopro posted on Discord:

https://streamable.com/a2fea

Character ordering was Bishop / The Thing / Okoye. Bishop's covers were 4/4/3.

I suspect what's happening is:

1. On incoming damage, Bishop prepares to intercept the attack. It exceeds the damage threshold specified by his passive, so he becomes the intercepting hero.

2. On incoming damage, The Thing prepares to intercept the attack. The Thing's health is less than Okoye's, so he cancels interception (sets interceptingHero to null?)

3. Nobody intercepts the attack, so whoever's in front (Okoye) gets hit.

Toward the end of the recording, Okoye finally takes enough damage for The Thing's passive to start triggering again. The bug in this case is that Bishop's passive never triggers, despite having a significantly lower threshold of activation and no additional state requirements.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Tensuun said:
    User @ursopro posted on Discord:

https://streamable.com/a2fea

Character ordering was Bishop / The Thing / Okoye. Bishop's covers were 4/4/3.

I suspect what's happening is:

1. On incoming damage, Bishop prepares to intercept the attack. It exceeds the damage threshold specified by his passive, so he becomes the intercepting hero.

2. On incoming damage, The Thing prepares to intercept the attack. The Thing's health is less than Okoye's, so he cancels interception (sets interceptingHero to null?)

3. Nobody intercepts the attack, so whoever's in front (Okoye) gets hit.

Toward the end of the recording, Okoye finally takes enough damage for The Thing's passive to start triggering again. The bug in this case is that Bishop's passive never triggers, despite having a significantly lower threshold of activation and no additional state requirements.
    Well that's a different issue. Road Warrior is referring to Thing (regardless of the presence of Bishop) intercepting the damage of an attack, but not the stun.
  • Tensuun
    edited November 2018
    Well that's a different issue.
    Yes. It is.
  • ursopro
    ursopro Posts: 332 Mover and Shaker
    Regarding the jumping in bug a dev confirmed that all these characters have their interaction affected when paired with Bishop and is on their list.

Here's all the character affected:
    Bishop (Classic) with Overclocked
    Deadpool (It's Me, Deadpool) with Life of the Party
    Lockjaw (Royal Bulldog) with Loyal Protector
    Rogue (Classic) with Leading The Charge
    The Thing (Classic) with Rock Solid
    Wiccan (Billy Kaplan) with Power of the Demiurge
  • Jaedenkaal
    And also Thanos, Colossus, and Spider-Woman, presumably.
  • Tensuun
    edited November 2018
    Thanos, Colossus, and Spider-Woman don't have conditions on interception.

....Although, Bishop does. It's probably worth checking whether Bishop behind one of these three characters prevents them intercepting small match damage values. Mine is 0/2/1 so I can't check. :(
  • Jaedenkaal
    Wiccan doesn't either, though, I think?
  • ursopro
    ursopro Posts: 332 Mover and Shaker
    When Wiccan transforms into the Demiurge he intercepts all damage
  • Jaedenkaal
    ursopro said:
    When Wiccan transforms into the Demiurge he intercepts all damage
    Yes, what I meant was, he doesn't have any restrictions (once he's transformed), he's just always in front. 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    edited December 2018
    Did anyone ever confirm the intended behavior of jump-in-fronts that don't accept the added stun effect? Is it supposed to apply the stun to the character being defended by the jump, or should the effect go to the defending character? for example if Bishop jumps in front, should he take the damage AND the stun, or just the damage like currently happens?
  • energomash
    energomash Posts: 23 Just Dropped In
    Has anyone else seen better results in how characters interact when facing any teams with multiple characters that jump to the front? i am not aware of any clarification on this subject from the development team.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2019
    Something weird happened. I used Shuri against Bishop and two other partners.

TwinBlasters on non-Bishop. Bishop jumped in and he was stunned.

Could it be due to the word "enemy" and target"?

It could be possible that the codes used for Shuri and The Thing were coded differently since they were released many months or even years apart from each other. Programmers come and go. Maybe the programmers used to write the code for Shuri and The Thig are different.

Or maybe the stun effect was coded to tag to the original target.