Team-up Questions

Dormammu
Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
Help a brother out by clarifying some questions I have about sending alliance mates team-ups. I should know these things by now but I guess I don't.

Question 1 To send a boosted team-up, do you have to send one from the weekly boosted list or can it also be from an event-specific boost?

Question 2 Is it true that all team-ups sent are considered to have 5 covers in that color, even if you have that color set to 3 (or 4) on the character? What if you only have 1 cover in that power on an unchamped character?

Question 3 For damaging team-ups, does it matter if you have the character champed or not?
(For example, a level 1 MBW's blue stun is no different from a lv 40 MBW. But to get the most out of a team-up that causes damage, does the character need to be champed?)

Comments

• Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    1) I believe team ups are boosted if the character they are from is boosted -currently-, regardless of when they were obtained.

2) That's true for championed characters only. Un-champed characters send the power at the ranks they have trained.

3) The damage of the power definitely depends on the character level of the power. It's unclear to me how the level of the sending character impacts the level of the team-up you receive. Pretty much all the team up powers I have right now are either max level or max champed level, although none of those were received from alliance mates.
  • Dormammu
    1) I believe team ups are boosted if the character they are from is boosted -currently-, regardless of when they were obtained.
    I don't think that's right. I think team-ups are static. When I receive a boosted team-up it holds its boost, even weeks later.

My question is, let's say Character A is on the weekly boosted list, but character B is boosted for the Enemy of the State event. Does Character B team-ups get a boost if you send them during the time Enemy of the State is running?
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    I seem to recall reading somewhere that the level of a Team-up is either the average of your top few characters (similar to MMR), or the highest unchamped level possible for that character, whichever is lower. That said, I have a Level 212 Polarity Shift Team-up in my inventory right now, which shouldn't be possible even with a boost, since that's from a 2*. That's the only one I have that's marked as being boosted, but MNMags is boosted this week, so I can't draw any conclusions from that. I'll try to remember (maybe remind me) to check if that goes away and my 1* Storm Team-ups get boosted after the list changes on Thursday.
  • Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2018
    Dormammu said:
    Question 3 For damaging team-ups, does it matter if you have the character champed or not?
    (For example, a level 1 MBW's blue stun is no different from a lv 40 MBW. But to get the most out of a team-up that causes damage, does the character need to be champed?)
    I don't think it matters.  Maybe this only applies to 5*, but I just looked at my TU's and my Surfer is 3/4/4 lvl 300 and an alliance mate sent me a lvl 451 Surfer red.  His Surfer is champed at lvl 451.  

*edit* D'oh you were talking about sending, not receiving.  My bad.  I just checked my TU inventory and all the ones I have are characters I have champed, or received when playing against the AI.  
  • Jaedenkaal
    Dormammu said:
    I don't think that's right. I think team-ups are static. When I receive a boosted team-up it holds its boost, even weeks later.

My question is, let's say Character A is on the weekly boosted list, but character B is boosted for the Enemy of the State event. Does Character B team-ups get a boost if you send them during the time Enemy of the State is running?
    My only evidence here is that I have a boosted Black Bolt team-up, which is boosted to his featured-character level in enemy of the state. That same team-up is only level 330, unboosted, in PVP simulator.

I think it's extremely unlikely that I received that team-up the last time BB was the required 5* in a story event, hence my conclusion. 
  • Dormammu
    Jaedenkaal said:
    ...I have a boosted Black Bolt team-up, which is boosted to his featured-character level in enemy of the state. That same team-up is only level 330, unboosted, in PVP simulator.
    Interesting.

So, the Thing TU that I've had in my inventory for several weeks always shows the boosted damage. Is this because the sender gave it to me when he was on the weekly boost list?
  • Jaedenkaal
    edited November 2018
    Dormammu said:
    Jaedenkaal said:
    ...I have a boosted Black Bolt team-up, which is boosted to his featured-character level in enemy of the state. That same team-up is only level 330, unboosted, in PVP simulator.
    Interesting.

So, the Thing TU that I've had in my inventory for several weeks always shows the boosted damage. Is this because the sender gave it to me when he was on the weekly boost list?
    What (unboosted) level does it say it is, and what's the damage?
  • Dormammu
    I don't know I don't have the game in front of me, but it's for his red power and it says 14k-or-so damage.
  • Dormammu
    Boy, team-ups are more confusing than I thought!  :open_mouth:
  • TPF Alexis
    OJSP said:
    I seem to recall reading somewhere that the level of a Team-up is either the average of your top few characters (similar to MMR), or the highest unchamped level possible for that character, whichever is lower. That said, I have a Level 212 Polarity Shift Team-up in my inventory right now, which shouldn't be possible even with a boost, since that's from a 2*. That's the only one I have that's marked as being boosted, but MNMags is boosted this week, so I can't draw any conclusions from that. I'll try to remember (maybe remind me) to check if that goes away and my 1* Storm Team-ups get boosted after the list changes on Thursday.
    Lvl 212 2* is boosted from lvl 150. When Magneto stops being boosted, that TU will go back to 150.
    My understanding was that, without boosts, they were supposed to cap where the characters maxed out without Champing, which would be Lvl 94 for a 2*. However, that's clearly not right, because when I pull that one up in Simulator, it's Lvl 144. So I think that might have been changed at some point. But still, is the Weekly boost really 68 levels? I thought it was like half that.
    Once again, I really wish there was proper documentation available for this game. I miss my 90s computer games and their 1/2"+ thick manuals.
  • Persephone
    Persephone Posts: 201 Tile Toppler
    Thanks for this thread, @Dormammu.  Helpful.

I tried looking for general information on sending team-up, and I could not find any. Granted, I may have looked in the several wrong places...

I have a few questions.  

1) If I send a character (who's already at full health), will it come back to me injured or dead and need down-time to heal back up?  Or, will I be able to use the character right away?

2) Can I use the character that I sent?  Or, is it "out of the office" and I can't play with it?

3) (This is for curiosity's sake.) Is it unusual for one person to request five team ups at the same time?  

Thanks for any help.
  • TPF Alexis
    Thanks for this thread, @Dormammu.  Helpful.

I tried looking for general information on sending team-up, and I could not find any. Granted, I may have looked in the several wrong places...

I have a few questions.  

1) If I send a character (who's already at full health), will it come back to me injured or dead and need down-time to heal back up?  Or, will I be able to use the character right away?

2) Can I use the character that I sent?  Or, is it "out of the office" and I can't play with it?

3) (This is for curiosity's sake.) Is it unusual for one person to request five team ups at the same time?  

Thanks for any help.
    1 & 2: You don't actually send the character as such. The other player gets a random Team-Up from among that character's powers. You can still use the character as normal, they won't take damage, nothing like that. The only restriction is that you can't give out a Team-Up from that character again for several hours; exactly how long depends on the character.
    3: That's actually the default. I think possibly the only way. When you hit the Request Aid (or whatever the exact wording is) button, it always sends a request for 5 to your Alliance's chat.
  • Persephone
    Persephone Posts: 201 Tile Toppler
    Thanks, @TPF Alexis

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,576 Chairperson of the Boards
    Just to add to Alexis advice there is another restriction on Team-Up's - you can't send certain ones. This includes passive powers and things like Iron Man 40's Recharge ability (the game would break!)