Quasiduplicate bugged

Options
Ark
Ark Posts: 20 Just Dropped In
Quasiduplicate reads:
Copy target creature you control. That card gains full mana.

The copy cannot be played on the same turn that it is created, despite having full mana. Similar cards that can give a card full mana (such as a card drawn with Talent of the Telepath that costs 6 or less mana, or a copy of a creature from Metamorphic Alteration that costs 10 or less mana, or a full mana card drawn from Djinn of Wishes' support being broken on the same turn) will play the copy or fetched card on the same turn, so Quasiduplicate's behavior is inconsistent with existing mechanics of the same type.

In addition, a bonus match still will not result in the copy being played.
For example: I match 5 and cast Quasiduplicate on Traxos, Scourge of Kroog. I get a copy of Traxos in my hand with full mana. This copy is not played. I gain a bonus match from my match 5 and I make another match. Copy Traxos with full mana is still in my hand, and it is not played even after this bonus match.

This bug occurs when Quasiduplicate is cast on any creature that I have tried (I tried 4 different creatures), as well as on different Planeswalkers (tested on Karn and Tezzeret, Master Artificer).

Comments

• nerdstrap
    nerdstrap Posts: 180 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Someone pointed out this is what Naru Meha does, but it is so inconsistent. Oktagon please standardize these cards, or fix the wording.
  • Tombstone
    Tombstone ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 1,208 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I discussed this with the team, and they have informed me that this behavior is as designed. Copied cards are not intended to be able to be played on the same turn; however, Fetched cards are so Talent of the Telepath and Djinn of Wishes are functioning as intended. 

The team is aware of inconsistencies with cards that create Copies being able to be played on the same turn such as with Metamorphic Alteration and they are currently investigating. Moving forward though, Copies are not intended to be valid for play on the turn they are created according to my information.   
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Tombstone said:
    I discussed this with the team, and they have informed me that this behavior is as designed. Copied cards are not intended to be able to be played on the same turn; however, Fetched cards are so Talent of the Telepath and Djinn of Wishes are functioning as intended. 

The team is aware of inconsistencies with cards that create Copies being able to be played on the same turn such as with Metamorphic Alteration and they are currently investigating. Moving forward though, Copies are not intended to be valid for play on the turn they are created according to my information.   
    One question for this:

Why?

Since you "fixed" Naru Meha its pretty much impossible to make an infinite loop with cards that copy creatures (since I don't think there is another creature that gives a spell full mana and an infinite loop of Startled Awakes isn't something that any sane person would build).

If this is truly the intended behavior, though, the card should state that the copy cannot be played the turn it is created
  • ALEJANDROID
    ALEJANDROID Posts: 71 Match Maker
    Options
    Tombstone said:

Sorry for being rude Bixby but that one sounds like "We are not idiots, we like it that way"
  • andrewvanmarle
    andrewvanmarle Posts: 971 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Agreed, it is very counter intuitive to have copies stay in hand while other versions of cards that are cast from effects play immediatly.

please change your minds!
  • Ark
    Ark Posts: 20 Just Dropped In
    edited November 2018
    Options
    @Tombstone thank you for the clarification.

A suggestion to the dev team to alleviate this confusion: Change cards that create copies of creatures to have additional text stating that the copy will not be played this turn.

Quasiduplicate could change from:
    Copy target creature you control. That card gains full mana.
    to:
    Copy target creature you control. The copy gains full mana and cannot be played this turn.
    Likewise, Metamorphic Alteration would change from:
    Copy target creature. It gains 10 mana.
    to:
    Copy target creature. The copy gains 10 mana and cannot be played this turn.

Alternatively, the text for copy cards could have standardized starting text like "create a copy of ..." and the mechanic across all cards in all sets could be that copies created by cards that are worded this way are never played the same turn.

By the way, just as an aside, I am shooting myself in the foot here because this change would break my Blue Sun Zenith into Metamorphic Alteration in decks with creatures that only cost 10 or less mana combo. I'm willing to make this sacrifice for the sake of consistency!