Experimental Frenzy - Deck ideas anyone?

Hi everyone 

Yesterday, I pulled Experimental Frenzy and after the initial thrill of getting a Mythic my thought was pretty much "Hm. Now what?"
I don't have any noteworthy Jumpstart cards yet and the synergy with Undergrowth or other Graveyard related mechanics are pretty much limited to Black which leaves the number of PWs to use it with rather low, considering that I do not have Bolas1.
So anybody here to open my eyes to the world of opportunities that I am surely missing  

Comments

• Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Graveyard stuff works with Green too, since Undergrowth is Green/Black.  If you have Samut you could probably make a deck that fetches a lot of creatures and then dumps them into the graveyard for Undergrowth.

It would also work in legacy with Cycling and that creature that gets a buff based on the number of cycling cards you have in the graveyard, but there are better legacy options out there.
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Also, it’s worth noting that the support actively works against jump start, since you mentioned that. It prevents cards with jumpstart in your graveyard from gaining mana, and unfortunately this was confirmed not to be a bug, but intentional behavior of the card.

My only place to use it is a red/white embalm deck since it payed you throw those creatures away without fully losing them. 
  • Modest_Supreme
    Modest_Supreme Posts: 26 Just Dropped In
    wereotter said:
    Also, it’s worth noting that the support actively works against jump start, since you mentioned that. It prevents cards with jumpstart in your graveyard from gaining mana, and unfortunately this was confirmed not to be a bug, but intentional behavior of the card.

My only place to use it is a red/white embalm deck since it payed you throw those creatures away without fully losing them. 
    Ya this is severely disappointing.  It's design requires you to get it taken out of play in order to gain any of it's jump-start benefits.  
  • Snappyturtle
    Snappyturtle Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
    You can pair it up with Primeval's Glorious Rebirth at the last moment if you are about to cast it I guess. Get a few more creatures at the last moment for cheap.
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    You can pair it up with Primeval's Glorious Rebirth at the last moment if you are about to cast it I guess. Get a few more creatures at the last moment for cheap.
    What do you mean at the last moment?  I'm dumping every creature I draw if I'm running a Rebirth deck (too bad you can't use Rebirth + Gather + Frenzy outside of Karn)
  • Shaaw
    Shaaw Posts: 15 Just Dropped In
    Pair it with firemane angel and some lifelink/gain to be able to easily accumulate them into your graveyard and get them on the battlefield for free.
  • HomeRn
    HomeRn Posts: 328 Mover and Shaker
    Shaaw said:
    Pair it with firemane angel and some lifelink/gain to be able to easily accumulate them into your graveyard and get them on the battlefield for free.
    Oh yeah, this is currently the only way I can see Frenzy working - since apparently 3 mana is NOT enough to charge any spell with jump start.  However, going red/white for this is not a very plausible idea - it takes way too long to get said Firemane Angels to begin with... at least from what I've tested.  Here's a deck that I've built that's working just fine in both standard and legacy matches:

Creatures (1):
    Firemane Angel

Spells (5):
    Demolish
    Gather the Pack
    Magmatic Insight
    Assassin's Trophy
    Nissa's Revelation

Supports (4):
    Zhalfirin Void
    Experimental Frenzy
    Vance's Blasting Cannons/Spitfire Bastion
    Growing Rites of Itlimoc/Itlimoc, Cradle of the Sun

Before I begin strategy, let me make this clear: this deck was built for ARLINN KORD (no really, Samutt can't run this deck due to deck restrictions!).

The goal is simple: abuse the graveyard like it's going outta style.  Which means you do not want to play Firemane Angels from your hand whenever possible.  Each copy gives you 2 life at the start of your turn from the graveyard, but from the battlefield, you only get 2 life tops from any # of reinforcements.  So offload the angels into the graveyard, then surprise Greg with a massive creature from outta nowhere!  Now Arlinn also has a great first ability that you can simply rely on to win: +4/+4 plus trample, berserker, and haste for a turn - given Firemane's first strike evergreen, that's a massive creature to pick off your opponent's creatures while bulldozing the remainder into Greg's face.

The spells are a mix of control and "get-angels-into-the-graveyard" varieties.  Demolish and Assassin's Trophy are what you expect for control functions, while Gather the Pack puts 4 angels into your graveyard... and 1 to 2 in your hand for Magmatic Insight to discard.  Nissa's Revelation is your alternative trigger for getting your angels out of the graveyard if you're having problems with drawing the proper cards.

Supports in the deck either focus on getting angels in the graveyard OR help with ramp.  Itlimoc will not be flipping, that's beside the point for the deck.  Vance's will always help cycle cards - aka. Firemane Angels - and could flip for extra help with ramp.  Zhalfrin Void is just a great ramp card.  Experimental Frenzy allows you to constantly keep cycling cards out while not exiling stranded angels in your hand.
  • NinjaE
    NinjaE Posts: 213 Tile Toppler
    Instead of red/green, try red/black or red/blue so you can add some surveil.
  • Foznertep
    Foznertep Posts: 121 Tile Toppler
    Now that I got him, it really works quite well with Bolas1 to get really expensive critters out for no mana cost. Quite neat and I would expect to see a lot of Bolas decks using it for that purpose alone. So really more of a niche Mythic that only partially works out as probably intended...