Something I've never understood that's never made any sense to me...

NotBAMF
NotBAMF Posts: 408 Mover and Shaker
Why is it when I click on a topic on this forum, it takes me to a seemingly random post on a seemingly random page? 

It's a most bewilderingly unuseful design I can possibly imagine. 

After all this time, I don't know why I'm just asking NOW, but it really hit me today when I clicked to see the updates on the November Sneak Peek thread and it took me to the middle of page 3 or whatever. 

Comments

• Ed_Dragonrider
    Ed_Dragonrider Posts: 578 Critical Contributor
    edited November 2018
    It takes you to the last comment YOU read... the last time. Basically where you left off.
    Its quite good in long discussions when you dont want to re-read the first two pages (because you have already), but skip to the newer entries.
    This is not wrong or broken, it is a blessing.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    And then after that, it will sometimes slide around because it gets to the post it should, and then loads images and/or formatting above that and pushes the spot it should be at down off the screen.
  • NotBAMF
    NotBAMF Posts: 408 Mover and Shaker
    edited November 2018
    It takes you to the last comment YOU read... the last time. Basically where you left off.
    Its quite good in long discussions when you dont want to re-read the first two pages (because you have already), but skip to the newer entries.
    People can't just remember where they left off? I mean, the main page thread link has links to the individual pages of the thread that you can go right to. 

I guess, hey, if people enjoy it, more power to them. I think it's annoyed me because I want to see the first page a lot more often than I have ever thought "Wow, I remember this; so convenient!", haha. 
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    The page 1 link is always there. Sometimes if a thread blows up, the page I was on last is stuck in the ellipsis section where it can't be directly clicked. Also handy if you only check in on a given thread occasionally.
  • Pr0spect0r
    Pr0spect0r Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    And then after that, it will sometimes slide around because it gets to the post it should, and then loads images and/or formatting above that and pushes the spot it should be at down off the screen.
    THIS RIGHT HERE. I **** hate this. Load pictures first then text. I hate clicking on a post and it's always the wrong one because pictures had to load and input delay picked the wrong one
  • Pants1000
    Pants1000 Posts: 484 Mover and Shaker
    I like it 95% of the time.  The sneak peek thread is usually the only time I want it to start at the beginning.

If you don’t like it, log out.  If the forum doesn’t know who you are, everything loads as if you’ve never read anything.
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    THIS RIGHT HERE. I tinykitty hate this. Load pictures first then text. I hate clicking on a post and it's always the wrong one because pictures had to load and input delay picked the wrong one
    Dial-up modems are the worst! That "beep!-click-buzzzzz" is so annoying and the speeds are so slow!
  • Pr0spect0r
    Pr0spect0r Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    Yepyep said:
    THIS RIGHT HERE. I tinykitty hate this. Load pictures first then text. I hate clicking on a post and it's always the wrong one because pictures had to load and input delay picked the wrong one
    Dial-up modems are the worst! That "beep!-click-buzzzzz" is so annoying and the speeds are so slow!
    I could go for that sound maybe once a month. Good ol reliable all startup
  • Shintok17
    Shintok17 Posts: 620 Critical Contributor
    I actually love it, specially when a lot of people have contributed to the thread since the last time I read it. It makes it easier and faster to get to the new comments.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    NotBAMF said:
    People can't just remember where they left off? I mean, the main page thread link has links to the individual pages of the thread that you can go right to. 

I guess, hey, if people enjoy it, more power to them. I think it's annoyed me because I want to see the first page a lot more often than I have ever thought "Wow, I remember this; so convenient!", haha. 
    I find it incredibly helpful, especially at times where threads have gotten to like 17 pages. IMO it is the one and only improvement this forum has over the old one.