Roster advice for a formerly mismanaged roster

124»

Comments

• Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    That's awesome!
  • ssbledsoe
    ssbledsoe Posts: 52 Match Maker
    The "it's been a month, Boss Event is already over, and it's Friday" update:

2* Land:
    Last reference to this in the thread.  It's a matter of farming, and with up to 50 covers saved, it's pretty simple and straight forward.  I'm moving to the point where I'm only going to keep 3 2*s champed; save as many covers as it takes before 1 of the 3 champs hits 144; when someone hits 144, champ whoever is up for PVE next.  Lather, rinse, repeat.

3* Land:
    Everyone here is champed.  I'm now just working on strategically BH'ing those close to 4* covers or LT's.  If there's a better option, feel free to chime in.

4* Land:
    Fully into 4* territory now.  Since the last update, I have champed the following:
    MEHulk
    Kraven
    Gamora
    Peggy
    America

The following characters are fully covered waiting for ISO:
    Kingpin
    Red Hulk
    Ghost Rider
    Nick Fury
    Ant Man
    Drax
    Yondu
    Iceman
    Nico
    Nova
    Invisible Woman
    IWBW
    Wiccan
    Shuri
    IWSM
    4SL
    Ghost

I've been trying to keep 2 champed 4*s for PVP.  Last week w/ only Vulture champed made matches w/ boosted champ 4SL & 4RG teams a bit of a bear.  I think if I can't get 2 champed boosted 4*s, I'll save my ISO for the next week or use it on Iceman/top tier character assuming I get them covered.  

Current BH are set:
    3* Elektra - LVL 182 - Looking for the purple Eletr4 cover.  My only other 3*s under 183 are Falcon & Angel.
    4* Rocket & Groot - currently 1-3-1 - It has been awhile since I've hit a 4* BH.  Hopefully this moves along in the short term.
    5* Thor - currently 3-4-1 - Used my Command Points on the Loki release store and ended up with a single Loki and 2 Thor and 2 BB.  I've actually been using him less and less in PVE.  My PVE teams have been America, 3trange, and 5E.  Adding a +1 all AP boost usually gets crtis tossed out on the 2nd move of the match and it's all downhill from there.  

At this point it's mostly just a game of gathering ISO to champ 4*s.  I'm pulling all my tokens as they arrive and using my Command Points for Classics.  I'm down to needing to roster only 4 5*s (Natasha, Ock, Gambit, and Goblin).  I'm kind of amazed at how different my roster has changed in less than 5 months.  I've gone from a poorly set up 3* roster to solidly into 4* land.  Thanks for all the help along the way!
  • Dormammu
    You may want to look at champing Ghost, next. She might give you better performance with Chavez for match/crit damage than an under-covered 5-star... not sure. Still haven't champed my Ghost yet so I've been unable to do any comparisons. I'm sure someone else reading this could offer some insight there.

It's been a pleasure reading your progress as you've turned the 'mismanaged' roster around. Tell me, how have you been enjoying Peggy?
  • Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dormammu said:
    You may want to look at champing Ghost, next. She might give you better performance with Chavez for match/crit damage than an under-covered 5-star... not sure. Still haven't champed my Ghost yet so I've been unable to do any comparisons. I'm sure someone else reading this could offer some insight there.

It's been a pleasure reading your progress as you've turned the 'mismanaged' roster around. Tell me, how have you been enjoying Peggy?
    Just a point of comparison; a few events ago Ghost and 5*Wasp were both boosted.  The strong colors of Ghost were about ~150-200 more than Wasp's strong colors.  They were both boosted to the mid 300's and I think Ghost was 5-10 lvls lower than Wasp.  

tl;dr, Ghost hits harder than 5* at comparable levels... She's one of my new faves :)
  • ssbledsoe
    Dormammu said:

Peggy has been great boosted.  Definitely requires IM40 to accelerate her.  Also carry at least 1 MBW stun.  Matches typically go like this:
    Get 6 yellow and TU in the first 4-5 turns.  Stun Opponent Peggy w/ TU.  Drop IM40 recharge.  Unopposed turn.  Protect recharge tiles turn.  Drop Peggy blue stunning other 2 opponents.  Take 3 unopposed turns. Down opponent Peggy.  Lather rinse repeat until everyone's downed.

As for Ghost, I may look at her.  Will also look at possibly investing the ISO to get Kate & Moonknight to 209 for the "Dazzler" cover...  Will also look at the boosted list for PVP next week as well.  Plenty of decisions to make...
    Dormammu said:

Just a point of comparison; a few events ago Ghost and 5*Wasp were both boosted.  The strong colors of Ghost were about ~150-200 more than Wasp's strong colors.  They were both boosted to the mid 300's and I think Ghost was 5-10 lvls lower than Wasp.  

tl;dr, Ghost hits harder than 5* at comparable levels... She's one of my new faves :)
    Definitely will look at her.  I'm pretty ISO deprived right now with plenty of places I could use it :(
  • ssbledsoe
    The "it's the middle of a Boss Event, and it's Friday" update:

4* Land:
    Champs since the last update:
    Iceman
    Nick Fury
    Yondu
    Ghost Rider

Kingpin - 229 - 6 saved
    Red Hulk - 209 - 17 saved
    Ant Man - 172 - 5 saved
    Drax -172 - 4 saved
    X-23 - 152 - 10 saved
    Nico -150 - 4 saved
    Pun Max - 150 - none
    Nova -148 - 4 saved
    Invisible Woman -147 - 3 saved
    Luke Cage -127 - none
    IWBW - 120 - 3 saved
    Wiccan -111 - 11 saved
    Shuri -106 - 3 saved
    IWSM - 96 - none
    4SL - 94 - 7 saved
    Ghost - 70 - 14 saved
    Mr. F - 70 - 2 saved

Since it's off season and no real need to champ anyone, I'm pretty much gathering ISO until the next season starts.  Once I get a 300-400k ISO buffer, I'm probably going to start champing anyone w/ 10 or more saved covers for the LTs to try and pull as many Okoye's as I can before she goes into Classics.  I have Okoye at 1-2-5 w/ 3 saved covers as is, and obviously she's a key cog in the meta world; getting her as covered as possible seems like a must.

Current BH are set:
    4* Rocket & Groot - currently 2-4-1 - It'd be really nice to get this one covered and champed by the end of the next season.  This is the one piece I'm missing from the 4* meta.  
    5* Thor - currently 4-5-1 - Slowly covering him, but the spread is starting to get concerning.  No saved covers YET, but a real possibility in the future.  Although by the time I'm ready for 5* land, I'm guessing both he and Okoye will get nerfed, and I'll need to hoard for 6 months to get the new 5* meta covered...whatever that ends up being.

Updated roster:
    https://mpq.gamependium.com/rosters/ssbledsoe/
  • Dormammu
    If I were you, even though I'm not you because you're you and I'm me, but if you were me you'd champ Mr. Fantastic next. You have Carnage and Medusa champed and if you add Mr. F into that mix you can walk into the SHIELD sim and dominate any team you face.
  • ssbledsoe
    Dormammu said:
    If I were you, even though I'm not you because you're you and I'm me, but if you were me you'd champ Mr. Fantastic next. You have Carnage and Medusa champed and if you add Mr. F into that mix you can walk into the SHIELD sim and dominate any team you face.
    Champing Mr. F is likely to occur very early in the next season.  You either down that team in a couple of turns or else you're going to lose in a long slog.  Between, stuns, heal, protect tiles, and Medusa stealing/buffing Carnage tiles, it's a lost cause more than a few turns in.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    I just champed Peggy the other day, and I'd suggest IM40/Shuri/Peggy - 1 full spread of recharge will let you fire off Vibranium Virtuoso several times, which will stack the AP tax with Peggy's while also giving you the AP discount that will let you fire off Do As Peggy Says 2X for a full team stun-lock. Any incidental match damage you do in the meantime is as likely as not going to have fortification match damage bonuses applied
  • ssbledsoe
    The "it's near the end of Double-ISO Anniversary Season" update:

4* Land:
    Red Hulk
    Wiccan
    Ghost
    Howard
    C4rol

Kingpin - 229 - 7 saved
    Taskmaster - 192 - 1 saved
    Ant Man - 172 - 5 saved
    Devil Dinosaur - 172 - 5 saved
    Drax -172 - 6 saved
    X-23 - 152 - 11 saved
    Nico -150 - 5 saved
    Pun Max - 150 - 4 saved
    Nova -148 - 5 saved
    Invisible Woman -147 - 7 saved
    Thoress - 131 - 2 saved
    Luke Cage -127 - 3 saved
    IWBW - 120 - 6 saved
    Rocket & Groot - 120 - 3 saved 
    Iron Fist - 106 - 2 saved
    Shuri -106 - 3 saved
    IWSM - 96 - 1 saved
    Quake - 94 - 2 saved
    4SL - 94 - 8 saved
    Kate - 74 - 3 saved
    Mr. F - 70 - 3 saved
    Spider-Woman - 70 - 1 saved
    Venom (Brock) - 70 - 1 saved

I didn't champ a "ton" of characters during the Anniversary Season, and hope to maybe get the ISO for 4RG by the weekend.  That will get me most of the 4* meta squared away.  I did invest some ISO into maintaining my 2* farm, and also leveled my 5Thor to help catch grills.  

Moving forward I will champ 4RG next.  After that, I'll champ as I need to for boost weeks and/or as I have plenty of ISO to champ someone for an LT/feeder.  This is pretty much my plan until I move into 5* land somewhere down the line.  I'm still missing Clagger, and Blade would be nice to have as well; but I'm very happy with the current composition of my roster.

4*s w/ 12 covers:
    Wasp
    War Machine
    Mockingbird
    Spider-Gwen

Current BH are set:
    4* Cyke - currently 4-5-3 - Hoping to catch a usable cover for him if he's boosted soon.  Probably will use this to build Clagger next.  It took a few months to build 4RG, and I suspect the same for Clagger.
    5* Thor - currently 5-5-1 - Continuing the slow grind to cover him.  I considered saving up the 1440 CPs to champ him, but I'm not close on any other 5* (my Okoye is 1-2-8), so it's just best to pull Classics and see where it goes.  I may try and BH Valkyrie to 320 and then just use 720 CPs for the last yellow.  Either way, it's a long game and I've got plenty of 4* work to do.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    After R&G, Iron Fist and Cage are also pretty dang good, and actually work really well together. Cloak and Dagger are great, too, but those were the ones that really jumped out at me from your fully covered list. Nico and Nova are up there, too.
  • ssbledsoe
    After R&G, Iron Fist and Cage are also pretty dang good, and actually work really well together. Cloak and Dagger are great, too, but those were the ones that really jumped out at me from your fully covered list. Nico and Nova are up there, too.
    Fist & Cage were definitely on my radar.  I know Cage's protect tiles become really annoying, and Fist's Black hits like a truck, especially when boosted.  I still want to champ Mr. F for the PVP season after Anniversary for SIM to troll for defensive wins.  I'm also excited to climb w/ GrockMoraDusa.  Those will be the first 3-4 I champ when I have "spare" ISO.

At this point, I'm pretty much champing based on who's covered and best for boost weeks.  I pretty much have my set PvE team (50% 5Thor/Chavez/3trange or Essential) where Thor and Chavez do all the heavy lifting since Chavez works best when you have an ton of AP.

For PvP, I pretty much use the 2 best boosted 4 champs I have.  This week it's Rogue/Chavez.  The week before it was Peggy/Vulture, and so on.  At the rate I'm gaining ISO, I can probably champ 4RG this weekend, and once double ISO goes away, I can probably champ 1.5-2 4's a week depending on farm needs and so forth.

I am also burying the lead a little:
    I max champed my first 3* - GSBW.  Already rostered a dupe to make sure I don't waste any covers.  I'm also 1 cover away from champing Bagman.  I'm only missing 3 5*s too at this point: Natasha, Doc Ock, and GG.  As I'm pulling classics as I go, I hope to get them rostered before they're PvE required next.  Natasha will be easy with a feeder.  GG & Ock will require some RNG luck.  Then again, I would rather get more Thor/Okoye, but who wouldn't.
  • ssbledsoe
    The "why not now" update:

4* Land:
    Grocket
    Iron Fist
    Drax
    Nico
    Shuri

Kingpin - 229 - 10 saved
    Emma - 209 - 2 saved
    Taskmaster - 192 - 1 saved
    Ant Man - 172 - 10 saved
    Devil Dinosaur - 172 - 9 saved
    War Machine - 160 - 0 saved
    X-23 - 152 - 13 saved
    Pun Max - 150 - 4 saved
    Nova -148 - 7 saved
    Invisible Woman -147 - 9 saved
    Winter Soldier - 135 - 3 saved
    Thoress - 131 - 11 saved
    Luke Cage -127 - 4 saved
    IWBW - 120 - 7 saved
    IWSM - 96 - 3 saved
    Dazzler - 94 - 5 saved
    Miles - 94 - 2 saved
    Quake - 94 - 3 saved
    4SL - 94 - 8 saved
    Kate - 74 - 5 saved
    Cyke - 70 - 6 saved
    Mr. F - 70 - 5 saved
    Spider-Gwen - 70 - 1 saved
    Spider-Woman - 70 - 1 saved
    Agent Venom - 70 - 0 saved
    Venom (Brock) - 70 - 2 saved

Limited 4* action since the last update.  Saved covers is amazing and I can't imagine where I'd be without this aspect.  The ability to continually pull tokens and NOT have to worry about cover waste is really an absolute gem.  There are 130 4* covers in my saved vault for characters w/ 13 covers.  That doesn't include any other saved I have.  

In other news, I now have 3 max 3* champs (GSBW, IM40, Patch).  I have rostered dupes of GSBW & Patch to keep rewards rolling in when the time comes.

The biggest news is that I was able to get the 13th cover for my Gladiathor.  I have not champed him w/ advice from my alliance family (holding him at LVL 375).  I don't have anyone to transition with him and thusly wouldn't have anyone to tank for him.  Plans are below.

Current BH are set: 
    4* Shuri - currently LVL 276 - The goal is to get her to 300 as quickly as possible.  That would result in 2 usable covers for Okoye, and hopefully a reasonable happening in a couple months
    5* Okoye - currently 1-2-9 - I am giving offerings to RNGesus to pull as many black/yellow covers as possible.  Covering Okoye will be the ticket to 5* land. 

I was able to take Thor from 2-2-0 in mid April to fully covered in 6 months.  I hope it doesn't take 6 months to cover Okoye, but it's my sole focus until it happens (whenever that may be).  The worst case scenario is waiting until Shuri is LVL 350 and then burning the saved covers to complete her.  That's assuming her and/or Thor don't get nerfed and/or a new meta does not appear before that happens.  I need to build up the 750k ISO to be able to champ them, and won't be champing any 4*s until I have that.  I will/have been spending ISO on my farm(s) to keep rewards flowing.  PVP without any boosted 4*s is rougher, but not unbearable.  I have also decided on not grinding PVE for placement.  Simply for SCL 9 rewards.  Every bit of CP/token/ISO helps.

Until next time.
  • ssbledsoe
    ssbledsoe said:
    I started playing back a few years ago.  I got bored with the game after about 6 months (likely because I egregiously mismanaged my roster).  I recently got back into the game, found this forum, and realize the absurd mismanagement of my roster. 

Since figuring out what I was doing wrong (not farming 2*, jumping to 4 & 5*'s too quickly, wasting 3* covers for undercovered 4*s), I've made some changes to my roster configuration, but I want to figure out what else I can do to dig out of the MMR hole I've dug.

Here is my current roster: https://mpq.gamependium.com/rosters/ssbledsoe/

I am Shield Rank 65; I have ~175000 ISO, 100 HP, and 29 CP.  I have pretty much at least 1 cover of every 3* I don't have recruited on my vine, but many are nearing time to sell.

I guess my question is this:
    What are my next moves?

Do I just sell the 3*'s on the vine as they get to a few hours within expiration and save the ones I can as I get the HP for the required roster slots?

Is there anything else I can do to get me out of the MMR hole?  I have two 4* champs (Deadpool - 275 & Wolverine - 270) and IMHB at 12 covers, but it's going to take awhile for them to get anywhere near overtaking my 5*s I leveled too soon.

All help is much appreciated!
    Slightly over a year later update:

All characters rostered (including limited and most recent releases).

2*s continue to be farmed.  I have my first Bagman at LVL 136.  8 More until another LT

3*s I have 9 currently max champed and begun farming others.  Currently, I have 19 others that have been max champed and rechamped.  The highest rechamp is Patch at LVL 210.

4*s I have 54 4* champions (highest is Valkyrie at LVL 316).  The following are the only 4*s I do not have at least 13 covers for:
    Talus (2/4/4)
    Spider-Ham (1/3/4)
    Magik (5/3/4)
    That's it.  All other 4*s are either champed or waiting for ISO to champ.  

5*s I have 3 5* champs: Thor, Okoye, Kitty.  I have Cable completely covered, but I'm not investing ISO into him until all the 4*s are champed.  The rest of my 5*s will take quite a bit of work to get them covered and/or champed, but so it goes.

So there it is.  A year of pretty dedicated play later, I went from only 2 4* champs to having the entire tier covered and 2/3's of the tier champed.  I went from not having all of the 3*s covered to farming 3*s.  I'm a bit disappointed I haven't completed my first Bagman, but I guess you can't win them all.

Maybe I'll circle back in a year and see similar advances in the 5* tier as I've seen in the rest of my roster.

Cheers & good luck
  • Rod5
    Rod5 Posts: 585 Critical Contributor
    For me this is a far more accurate description of how to advance through the tiers and enjoy the game than bigler ever did despite the reams he wrote.

Great effort dude, you’ve gone from a reasonably tinykitty situation to top of the tree, much respect.

Play hard, listen to vets who have seen it all before, but above all play hard.
  • ssbledsoe

@ssbledsoe said:
    (Quote)

2*s continue to be farmed.  I have my first Bagman at LVL 136.  8 More until another LT

3*s I have 9 currently max champed and begun farming others.  Currently, I have 19 others that have been max champed and rechamped.  The highest rechamp is Patch at LVL 210.

4s I have 54 4 champions (highest is Valkyrie at LVL 316).  The following are the only 4s I do not have at least 13 covers for:
    Talus (2/4/4)
    Spider-Ham (1/3/4)
    Magik (5/3/4)
    That's it.  All other 4
    s are either champed or waiting for ISO to champ.  

5s I have 3 5 champs: Thor, Okoye, Kitty.  I have Cable completely covered, but I'm not investing ISO into him until all the 4s are champed.  The rest of my 5s will take quite a bit of work to get them covered and/or champed, but so it goes.

So there it is.  A year of pretty dedicated play later, I went from only 2 4* champs to having the entire tier covered and 2/3's of the tier champed.  I went from not having all of the 3s covered to farming 3s.  I'm a bit disappointed I haven't completed my first Bagman, but I guess you can't win them all.

Maybe I'll circle back in a year and see similar advances in the 5* tier as I've seen in the rest of my roster.

Cheers & good luck

Necro bump this

2/3*s being farmed; including max champing, selling off, and re max champing bagman

All 4*s champed; highest is 362 Chavez...next year I can count how many 370's I have...

5*s 19 total champs ranging from LVL 473 (Prof X) to a lowly, but meta LVL 451 Wa5p.

I'm on day 995 w/ the game, so I will champ BSSM for 5* champ #20 in 5 days... not a bad anniversary for me.

I'm nowhere near "post-ISO", but I am closing in on "post-RISO"... I'm a couple months away from having absolutely no use for RISO.

I'm to the point where I have covered every 5* released into LTs since P*ss Potts and Kingpin. I'm working on "covering them all"

Until next year!

• ssbledsoe
    ssbledsoe said:

@ssbledsoe said:
    (Quote)

4s I have 54 4 champions (highest is Valkyrie at LVL 316).  The following are the only 4s I do not have at least 13 covers for:
    Talus (2/4/4)
    Spider-Ham (1/3/4)
    Magik (5/3/4)
    That's it.  All other 4
    s are either champed or waiting for ISO to champ.  

5s I have 3 5 champs: Thor, Okoye, Kitty.  I have Cable completely covered, but I'm not investing ISO into him until all the 4s are champed.  The rest of my 5s will take quite a bit of work to get them covered and/or champed, but so it goes.

So there it is.  A year of pretty dedicated play later, I went from only 2 4* champs to having the entire tier covered and 2/3's of the tier champed.  I went from not having all of the 3s covered to farming 3s.  I'm a bit disappointed I haven't completed my first Bagman, but I guess you can't win them all.

Cheers & good luck

Necro bump this

2/3*s being farmed; including max champing, selling off, and re max champing bagman

All 4*s champed; highest is 362 Chavez...next year I can count how many 370's I have...

5*s 19 total champs ranging from LVL 473 (Prof X) to a lowly, but meta LVL 451 Wa5p.

I'm on day 995 w/ the game, so I will champ BSSM for 5* champ #20 in 5 days... not a bad anniversary for me.

I'm nowhere near "post-ISO", but I am closing in on "post-RISO"... I'm a couple months away from having absolutely no use for RISO.

I'm to the point where I have covered every 5* released into LTs since P*ss Potts and Kingpin. I'm working on "covering them all"

Until next year!

Might as well keep this thread going at least every 300+ days or whatever:

Day 1322
    I've become a hoarder (LT's and CP's)

Currently have LVL 521 Okoye; 45 champed 5*'s; I've abandoned the "champ 'em all" plan as the game does not reward you for doing so

4*'s 20 370's and in the process of rechamping/farming

I'm at 300 roster slots and at the decision point of whether to continue farming 2*s; 2k HP per roster slot is a big time oooofff

Actively post-ISO

That's about it.  Until next year