A.I. Tile Priority

Dormammu
Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
I remember a thread a long while back discussing the specifics of which (colored) tiles the A.I. prioritized and when, but this forum could really use a more intelligent search function because I couldn't find it.

I'm wondering how the AI behaves in the way it prioritizes colors, chooses which match to make, and how team-up tiles fit into that equation. I've noticed some inconsistencies on that lately but I'm guessing that's because my own assumptions on what the AI will do are incorrect.

I know the AI will always go for the match-4, even if it's in one of their weakest colors and even over a critical tile, but if no match-4 (or better) is available what is the order of AI's priority?

I thought I knew this, but evidently not. Ever since I started using Okoye I'm paying more attention to team-up tiles than ever before and the AI matches in regards to them are sometimes hard to figure out.

Comments

• Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    It chooses matches in colours it has powers in (including team-up) over matches that do not. Within those categories, there is no preference that I am aware of, and it chooses randomly between them.

I’ve never seen any official indication if “colours it had power in” includes passive powers, or team up a/p after it’s team up power is fired, but I’ve always assumed it did, because it would be more complicated to exclude those cases.
  • Dormammu
    So it doesn't prioritize 'strongest color' for the team over the other colors they have powers/abilities in? And do you know how TU tiles fit into that equation?
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    As far as I know, team-up matches are treated exactly the same as other matches in colors with abilities.
  • Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    @Dormammu

Here's an old article that's floated around the forums for a while that talks about the code behind AI matches.  

https://www.demiurgestudios.com/engineering/a-worthy-opponent/

• Dormammu
    That explains the inconsistencies I'm seeing with TU matches, if it's simply random when there is a priority tie. Thanks guys.
  • RickOShay
    RickOShay Posts: 452 Mover and Shaker
    Early on in the match, it surely seems that the AI will prioritize TU AP. Once their TU Ability is fired off, TU matches appear to be much less of a priority - since they no longer have an 'ability' of that /color/.