How to farm gold

Astie
Astie Posts: 4 Just Dropped In
I recently returned to play and there are many characters that I do not have. The problem is that I do not get the gold to expand my roster. What is the best way to farm gold?

Comments

• TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Make sure you have all the 2* characters rostered and champed. When one of them hits max champ level, sell them off and re-roster them and go through the cycle again. It's the most consistent and reliable way to pick up Hero Points without spending.
    Also, even if you can't play for placement, play every PvP. There's a HP reward fairly low in the Progression that's pretty easy to get. That adds up, too.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,572 Chairperson of the Boards
    Also - if you do spend, then the minimal amount on HP will get you "thank you for supporting the game" bonuses for 30 days, these are a combination of iso, HP, tokens and CP. Well worth it.
  • Astie
    Astie Posts: 4 Just Dropped In
    Make sure you have all the 2* characters rostered and champed. When one of them hits max champ level, sell them off and re-roster them and go through the cycle again. It's the most consistent and reliable way to pick up Hero Points without spending.
    Also, even if you can't play for placement, play every PvP. There's a HP reward fairly low in the Progression that's pretty easy to get. That adds up, too.
    But do you have all the heroes 2 * recruited? I only have two. Is it worth having them all to farm gold?
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Astie said:
    But do you have all the heroes 2 * recruited? I only have two. Is it worth having them all to farm gold?
    Yes, it is absolutely worth it. If you're just selling off covers of the other 10, all you get from those is ISO. But if you champ and farm them, you get HP, 3* covers, Heroic Tokens, and CP. Once you get it going, it's pretty much ISO neutral.
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,260 Chairperson of the Boards
    2* farm, absolutely. Adding all the champs rewards + the sellback price, you should make about 5000 HP for 1 flip.

Ever since I started mine, rarely have I ever run out of HP. Sure its a big ISO investment initially but totally worth it.
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    The Prologue, if you  haven't yet finished it.  There's something like 1000 HP in there, and a bunch of 2* covers to get your farm going.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2018
    Astie said:
    I recently returned to play and there are many characters that I do not have. The problem is that I do not get the gold to expand my roster. What is the best way to farm gold?
     I only have two. Is it worth having them all to farm gold?
    All the advice above about farming 2-stars for HP (and other resources) is accurate, but if you only have two 2-stars and no roster slots it's going to take you some time to get any returns from farming 2-stars. You'll need HP (which you don't have) to roster them, then you'll need to get them all fully-covered, then you'll need the ISO to champ them all... it's not a short term answer.

If you want to earn HP (gold) in the meantime, what you need to do is play:

PvE (Story Mode) offers HP as progression prizes and you can also earn HP for final placement prizes.

PvP (Versus Mode) offers HP as progression prizes and also for placement.

DDQ (Deadpool's Daily Quest) gives out 10HP every day. Not much, but every bit adds up.

Intercepts give out HP. Intercepts are random prizes that you get for playing Story Mode nodes. If you make an in-game purchase (even as small as $1.99) you'll get 30 days of Intercepts. (Whenever you beat a Story Mode node, Iron Man might show up afterwards and give you an Intercept.)

VIP Status gives 100HP every four days. VIP costs $10 a month and gives out daily prizes and faster health regeneration outside of matches. Buying this also counts as a purchase for getting Intercepts.
  • Ed_Dragonrider
    Ed_Dragonrider Posts: 578 Critical Contributor
    edited November 2018
    Aaahh! Lightbulb! Another thing that becomes clear.... I thought intercepts were part of the vip, i didn't understand how some people were only paying $2 for it. Now i get it. Thank you!

Intercepts are really really worth it btw, and they just make you feel so good too :)

Edit: Here are the intercepts including what you can get with them:

https://d3go.helpshift.com/a/marvel-puzzle-quest/?s=gameplay-tips&f=what-is-a-bonus-reward&l=en
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,572 Chairperson of the Boards
    Aaahh! Lightbulb! Another thing that becomes clear.... I thought intercepts were part of the vip, i didn't understand how some people were only paying $2 for it. Now i get it. Thank you!

Intercepts are really really worth it btw, and they just make you feel so good too :)

Edit: Here are the intercepts including what you can get with them:

https://d3go.helpshift.com/a/marvel-puzzle-quest/?s=gameplay-tips&f=what-is-a-bonus-reward&l=en
    You used to be able to get Intercepts as a completely F2P by watching adverts but I think that caused so many issues with the game that they phased it out. Intercepts are frequent too and random but it is quite easy to get a bunch of HP for doing nothing other than playing over the 30 days.
  • skittledaddy
    skittledaddy Posts: 968 Critical Contributor
    Astie said:
    I doubted it's value, too, for far too long. Lost of a lot of rewards/progress. Even when I finally thought I'd give farming a try I only went in half-hearted. Once I FINALLY fully committed to it it's like the flood-gates of progress opened up. HP (gold), 3* covers, CP now all flow in a steady stream and I just shake my head that I waited so long.

NOTHING else is more worth it. ESPECIALLY if you are free-to-play like I am. Farm them ALL.