Flaptain vs Captain Marvel

LavaManLee
LavaManLee Posts: 1,246 Chairperson of the Boards
This is why I hoard boosts.  What an absolutely atrocious matchup to try to win an LT.  Ugh.

Comments

• Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Eh, Divebomb and done. I do recall having to play very carefully the first time this ran though.
  • Blindman13
    Blindman13 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    If your Divebomb isn't leveled high enough to one-shot her, just fire his yellow first and you're good to go.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,576 Chairperson of the Boards
    If your Divebomb isn't leveled high enough to one-shot her, just fire his yellow first and you're good to go.
    However be wary of her Red which destroys protect tiles which she can spam as it is both cheap and she gets red AP via her energy absorbtion power.
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,246 Chairperson of the Boards
    I must be getting bad boards.  Can't get the reds in time without resorting to boosts.  
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    This was a rough one. I have a 5/5/3 lvl 209 Flaptain and I splashed out like 5-6 times. I started stacking +2 red/yellow, +2 to all, and + crit boosts, and was finally able to do it. I let her get black on the board so my blue could start buffing it. The trouble there was that eventually it was enough that a basic match was crossing the energy absorption threshold. The time I got it done I was able to do a yellow-red combo, then build up a second batch of red to fire it with no shields on the board and it was a real close call. Got a saved Ghost Rider for my trouble.
  • JackTenrec
    JackTenrec Posts: 808 Critical Contributor
    Even having a champed Falcap isn't a guarantee of beating this matchup.  I usually play a time or two, and if luck continues to kick me in the teeth, I break out the boosts.
  • Mattjimf
    Mattjimf Posts: 139 Tile Toppler
    I scraped by with my 280 Flaptain without boosts. Won with 126 health left, forgot it was 3* cap marvel and played yellow far too soon.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    DAZ0273 said:
    However be wary of her Red which destroys protect tiles which she can spam as it is both cheap and she gets red AP via her energy absorbtion power.

No need to fire the yellow early, just wait until you have enough to do a Divebomb straight away. That's how I won the first run: By counting the yellow tiles on board to make sure Divebomb would do enough damage to oneshot her.
  • Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 967 Critical Contributor
    Even though the battle was a hard one, the eventual consequences were quite nice. I started out with a severely underleveled Falcap (130), but i had enough covers to champ him (ISO ouch!). First LT. Beat CapMar while stocking some extra yellow/red. Second LT.

Now the interesting part. Being a bit bummed by my latest minihoard openening (20+ LT, only 2 5* and no Kitty), i saw no need to hoard the LT. Characters now in latest look fine to me. First LT: Kitty. Nice. Second LT: another Kitty. Super nice. 
    Meanwhile i had enough CP to open a classic: red CapAmerica IW. However my 6th red, taking him to 6/0/0 unfortunately.
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,176 Chairperson of the Boards
    Even having a champed Falcap isn't a guarantee of beating this matchup.  I usually play a time or two, and if luck continues to kick me in the teeth, I break out the boosts.
    My Level 294 Flaptain was starting with about the same amount of health as 270 3* Carol.

They skipped this Crash the last time it was due, so I'm pretty sure the last time it ran I didn't have a champed Flaptain. And man, do I remember wanting to throw my phone against a wall. It's probably one of the hardest Crashes around. 

But, I got redemption this time. Just about every red match went my way. She still managed to fire her black and red one each, but as soon as she fired red, I made one or two moves to get more yellow tiles on the board. Yellow ---> red,  and it was all she wrote. Finished with about 8K health left. 
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,576 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quebbster said:
    DAZ0273 said:

No need to fire the yellow early, just wait until you have enough to do a Divebomb straight away. That's how I won the first run: By counting the yellow tiles on board to make sure Divebomb would do enough damage to oneshot her.
    Yeah, I was just pointing out how this one can be a bit cat and mouse. It is hard, especially in a Crash to sit on AP as the urge to use it is heightened by not having your usual extra 2 back-up characters.
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    First match was a heavy blue board and she wouldn't let me get pretty much any red ap. However on the second match it was a heavy red board so I was able to take her down with my lv 209 Sam after I collected 28 freaking red ap.
  • spidyjedi84
    spidyjedi84 Posts: 514 Critical Contributor
    edited November 2018
    Level 131. His saving grace is he has 5 covers in yellow and 5 covers in blue.I boosted Red and Yellow, knowing I'd need those colors for him and gave 60 percent bonus damage to all colors. Grabbed all the yellow I could, to not trigger energy absorption, and through shields down on the board. Nabbed the red over several turns, and then had enough yellow I smacked another wings of liberty before getting the divebomb and through blue's powering on several shields. She never got the red or black she needed to be more than a nuisance. It really, really depends on the board, though. Even when I've had a champed 4-star, there have been boards that just murdered me in a few turns.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    I saw this topic and was worried it was 4* Carol.
  • Rockwell75
    Rockwell75 Posts: 268 Mover and Shaker
    I didn't find it that bad.  I leveled my unchamped Flaptain to 130 brought in +2 red/yellow, targeted red/yellow, denied black, and managed it after a couple tries.
  • AlexR
    AlexR Posts: 427 Mover and Shaker
    That might have actually been slightly easier. You would have to only deny her black and slap a support on Flaptain that changes his highest colour to something else. There you go, now you can ignore 2 of her colours and can fish for crits.
    3* Carol specced like that is really unfair for a crash in general if you have a low-cover character. Both of her abilities are on the cheap side, with her red being ultra cheap and still doing ~2k damage. Okay, hard, but doable. But if you so much as get a single crit tile in one of your colours, she *will* get +5 red AP out of it. So, you can't fish for crits. You can't even take too much +match damage with you, because that will trigger it too. Even 4-matches can be dangerous. Those are some of the best tools to help low-covered character in a crash. And since Flaptain's damage options are extremely limited if you don't have red well-covered, it can be punishingly hard.
    I have a lvl 4/1/2 lvl 150 Flaptain and it took me a good 30+ tries. Only won in the end because of a Chimichanga support and the additional red it gives you to be able to fire red twice. Never ever had I so much trouble with a lvl 150 character in a crash; normally, crashes are comfortably doable at lvl 150.

• DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,176 Chairperson of the Boards
    Would probably be an easier fight, honestly. It was easier for me this time, but I very distinctly remember wanting to throw my phone out the window the last time. And even this time, it would have been a different story if my red matches had gone to her, and vice versa. 
  • Trilateralus
    Trilateralus Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    I thought this was going to be easier than it was the first time and it would have been had the board been a bit more favourable. Second time I wiped completely, so third time busted out the boosts. Clean sweep on my fourth try. If my Flaptain wasn’t under levelled I imagine this would be quite an easy crash as 3* Captain Marvel isn’t particularly threatening. 
  • barrok
    barrok Posts: 37 Just Dropped In
    I have beat many a crashes with significantly underleved/under covered than this one, so I thought my lvl 130 4/3/4 would get the job done. Boy did I underestimate it.

Finally got it all thanks to a board with huge amounts of yellow, so I was able to yellow into red. But I had done that a few times without enough yellow.

Needless to say, falcap still sucks :(
  • eddidit
    eddidit Posts: 86 Match Maker
    I did manage to beat it on a first try but boy was it tough even though flap was 273. My mistake was forgetting what CapMar skillset was, firing the yellow too early. Had she managed one more attack I'm sure she would have won. But luckily I had enough yellow and red to take her out. 

and I got an Antman for all the trouble :(