To many Okoyes and Thors on PVP

First21
First21 Posts: 87 Match Maker
This all I face on PVP. I face these teams because I have 2 champed 5*s to speed up PVE. But I started playing PVP until I get the 10 command point award. How about you is this all you face on PVP? 

Comments

• jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    1. yes
    2. they aren't that hard to beat
    3. pvp is always going to be the fastest 2 characters plus the featured. doesn't matter who they are, who they nerf who is new. whomever goes fastest wins the day.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    First21 said:
     How about you is this all you face on PVP? 
    No... sometimes I see Thor + Jessica Jones, too.
  • CharlieCroker
    CharlieCroker Posts: 254 Mover and Shaker
    I actually find that up to the 575pt threshold for the 10cp there is a decent amount of variety.

Past that it is mostly Okoye/Thor simply because they are fastest (and almost as foolproof as Gambit teams were) but you'll also see some Daredevil/Thor and Jessica/Thor with some Panthos or even Thanos/Thor from shield hoppers clearing grills.

A few heavy hitters (i.e. with 500+ characters) can also sometimes be found with whatever combinations they have available, such as Gambolt, OML/PHX or Bolt/Strange.  But these are rare to find unless you're unfortunate enough to be hit by them.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,516 Chairperson of the Boards
    I want to say around 90% of teams have Thor, Okoye, or both. It's boring as all get out, but it is pretty easy to wipe the floor with them.

Unless they drastically change their thinking behind balancing power levels, there probably isn't much they can do. 
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,191 Chairperson of the Boards
    I dunno, I don't mind it as they are a very easy combo to counter 
  • First21
    First21 Posts: 87 Match Maker
    What do you use to counter?
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    First21 said:
    Your 5* or boosted 4* of choice.  Work the enemy Thor down to near half health and stun or one shot them
  • killercool
    killercool Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    Phumade said:
    First21 said:
    Your 5* or boosted 4* of choice.  Work the enemy Thor down to near half health and stun or one shot them
    I just use Thor/JJ.  Do match damage on Okoye until I have enough red to fire Defenestrate and black to fire Body Check, along with green to fire God of Thunder.  Once I have that I target their Thor and hit them with Defenestrate (use first to generate strike tiles), followed Body Check to get him around half health and the God of Thunder to mop up.
  • DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,368 Chairperson of the Boards
    Well, the other choice is to remain in 4* meta, with probably a seemingly endless stream of Grocket/Gamora. 
  • WEBGAS
    WEBGAS Posts: 474 Mover and Shaker
    Let's ask for an Okoye nerf, then...just like they did for Gambit  >:)

.... I am joking, of course. Nerfing Okoye will be wrong, just like it has been for Gambit, OML, Thoress, XFWolvie, Ragnarok etc. etc.

Buff other characters or create counters...but instead they prefer to create a new shiny toy everyone will like to have, hence spend money to get it....and after a few months they realized that the character is too good and for the game's sake it has to be nerfed.

This is one of the most hated issue I have with this game!  :s
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,698 Chairperson of the Boards
    It doesn’t bother me because it’s easy, boring but easy and low risk. But the issue as I’ve stated time and time again is thor, free AP is just too hard to replace and makes any other decent release redundant straight away. That kind of free AP shouldn’t exist unless it’s a big support and not every turn. 

I dont care care much about pvp, it’s something I tolerate for the rewards but it can be fixed straight away making Thor tank for that AP or he doesn’t get it.

Also for any diversity all they need to do is make pvp a max of 1 five star. It would open up all our rosters to much more interesting teams and roster diversity. It wouldn’t matter if you were playing three star or four star pvp, the max use of one five per match. So much synergy between fives and fours to be exploited in a variety of ways. Rather than two fast power characters with a largely ignored featured.
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,698 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2018
    I do agree thor okoye isn't the issue Gambit was in that you had to bring your own, but the best way to combat them is still to bring your own. Simply because you use no health packs. You can beat that team with others but no way near as consistently and certainly not for zero health loss. Not only that but Thor not only boosts your AP he stops them having red green and yellow by destroying them before they can be matched. Okoye has fired off yellow I'm guessing less than 5 times against me. Even if she does, it's a positive because she's laid out more TU's for you.

I've used less than 5 health packs in pvp since the gambit nerf. There are other counters but still nothing beats an okoye thor team like another okoye thor team.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,516 Chairperson of the Boards
    I am currently ranked around 205 in the PvP Simulator. For our purposes, I went through 100 opponents by pressing skip and compiled how many of those teams included Okoye, Thor, Both, or Neither. Obviously, some of the teams showed up more than once, but I think it represents what the matchmaker in this game offered. Here are the results:

Thor+Okoye - 61
    Thor only - 16
    Okoye only - 5
    Neither - 18

Read into it what you will. 
  • Dartmaster01
    Dartmaster01 Posts: 634 Critical Contributor
    Yeah, Okoye/Thor is the best team no doubt but there will always be a best duo. Most of this thread seems like observation bias anyway, I see different teams well past 1200. Panthos, JJ, OML, Blackbolt, and even Gambit from time to time and I'm sure Kitty and Cable are about to start popping up also. Thor/Okoye is easily beatable with most anyone, no one in my alliance has complained about not being able to hit their pvp goal since Gambit's nerf. In fact, this is probably the most fair meta that has ruled pvp to date. I guess I just don't see what the problem is, if you have Okoye/Thor... great, if not, be glad you're not locked out of getting more than 600 pts like the Gambit era.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    Borstock said:
    I am currently ranked around 205 in the PvP Simulator. For our purposes, I went through 100 opponents by pressing skip and compiled how many of those teams included Okoye, Thor, Both, or Neither. Obviously, some of the teams showed up more than once, but I think it represents what the matchmaker in this game offered. Here are the results:

Thor+Okoye - 61
    Thor only - 16
    Okoye only - 5
    Neither - 18

Read into it what you will. 
    That’s not entirely fair or honest.  In sim you can pick all 3 chars, in pvp only 2 out of 3.  Those selection rules alone will change the ratio.

205 in sim at this point represents what 1800?  When your scores that high you might as well be faced with a teams.

a. More accurate sample is start psylocke from 0 at the start of event and report your next 20 matches.

not wait till end of event.
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,115 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2018
    First, I want to point out that ALL games have a meta, a standard best strategy to win, so no matter if the current meta is nerfed, another meta will take its place. So, accept that there will always be certain characters that dominate the scene. This is true with the lower tiers as well. 

Second, because of the current problem with covering Classic 5*s, which includes Thor and Okoye, new 5* players will have to use someone else, which is good for variety. As time goes on, the 5* variety in pvp should increase, but still be dominated by the latest meta teams available when one started playing. 

I agree that Thor + Okoye are amazing - Quick AP generation, Huge AOE hits and Healing - which is a near perfect combo. Fortunately, they are easy to beat on defense and a part of Classic purgatory. So, that puts 5* play in a good situation going forward. When Gambit reigned, things were bad, repetitive and limiting. He needed a nerf. 

If they nerfed Thor and Okoye just a little bit, they would still be viable AND players would start considering other teams, which is good. The bad thing for the game is a good thing for revenue, which is introducing a new 5* meta defining character. Then everyone chases after this 5* and play them ad nauseam, which is bad. 

I think we all agree that more variety is good, which includes all aspects of play.