3.0 Release Notes *Updated (11/13/18)

Comments

• madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,226 Chairperson of the Boards
    Tilwin90 said:
    Her ultimate is plain stupid. First, it costs the same as her second ability, what?! Then you practically can't remove it with anything (save for River's Rebuke that bounces?). And then the effect keeps growing and growing and there's nothing you can do about it?!
    Well, you could kill her creatures so that the effect doesn't trigger. 
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    madwren said:
    Tilwin90 said:
    Her ultimate is plain stupid. First, it costs the same as her second ability, what?! Then you practically can't remove it with anything (save for River's Rebuke that bounces?). And then the effect keeps growing and growing and there's nothing you can do about it?!
    Ah, the old "Dies to Removal" argument.  I love it.
  • fiirst
    fiirst Posts: 438 Mover and Shaker
    Brigby said:

Event Changes

Trial of the Planes
    • Changed the Booster Reward: M19 to GRN.
    Wow! we will get GRN boosters from both Totp & RT events, right? :D
  • Gunmix25
    Gunmix25 Posts: 1,433 Chairperson of the Boards
    madwren said:
    Tilwin90 said:
    Mburn7 said:
    madwren said:
    Tilwin90 said:

or... disable the creature or creatures.

The wording states, "at the end of your turn, if you control 1 or more creatures and if your opponent lost life this turn, reinforce this support and your opponent loses X life, where X is the number of reinforcements of this support.

This support has two requirements that must be met.

• Mburn7
    Gunmix25 said:
    madwren said:
    Tilwin90 said:
    Mburn7 said:
    madwren said:
    Tilwin90 said:

The wording states, "at the end of your turn, if you control 1 or more creatures and if your opponent lost life this turn, reinforce this support and your opponent loses X life, where X is the number of reinforcements of this support.

With how that is worded I would assume that any sort of damage will trigger it, not necessarily combat damage.  Therefore, disabling the creatures may not work (not like there is a lot of ping stuff in GB, but there is definitely some)
  • stikxs
    stikxs Posts: 518 Critical Contributor
    @Brigby When you view jumpstart cards in your new graveyard view, can you see how much mana has already been given to them from exiling?
  • IM_CARLOS
    IM_CARLOS Posts: 640 Critical Contributor
    Best option against those supports is win faster! 
  • Mburn7
    edited November 2018
    stikxs said:
    @Brigby When you view jumpstart cards in your new graveyard view, can you see how much mana has already been given to them from exiling?
    Ooh, +1 to this.  I didn't think of that either.

Also, can you disable a Jump Start spell in your graveyard, or do all of them have a confirmation box?
  • khurram
    khurram Posts: 1,077 Chairperson of the Boards
    Mburn7 said:
    Gunmix25 said:
    madwren said:
    Tilwin90 said:
    Mburn7 said:
    madwren said:
    Tilwin90 said:

With how that is worded I would assume that any sort of damage will trigger it, not necessarily combat damage.  Therefore, disabling the creatures may not work (not like there is a lot of ping stuff in GB, but there is definitely some)
    It says and not or. I think it's reasonable to assume that you have to meet both conditions.

You slip in your excitement.
  • Mburn7
    khurram said:
    Mburn7 said:
    Gunmix25 said:
    madwren said:
    Tilwin90 said:
    Mburn7 said:
    madwren said:
    Tilwin90 said:

It says and not or. I think it's reasonable to assume that you have to meet both conditions.

The and is fine, its the fact that there is no specification for type or source of damage.

As it reads, if I cast Plague Wind and have a creature out it will trigger the support, even if my creature didn't attack.
    My opponent lost life, and I control a creature.

If this is indeed how it works, this is gonna be real fun to play around with (although since it only triggers once per turn it won't be super broken, sadly)
  • Gunmix25
    Gunmix25 Posts: 1,433 Chairperson of the Boards
    Mburn7 said:
    Gunmix25 said:
    madwren said:
    Tilwin90 said:
    Mburn7 said:
    madwren said:
    Tilwin90 said:

I agree with you in this regards. If say cruel reality was on the board or faith of the devoted, then yes... even if all of the creatures were disabled, the effect would still trigger because both conditions were met
  • madwren
    edited November 2018
    Mburn7 said:
    madwren said:
    Tilwin90 said:

Ease up on your snark, friend.  The "Dies to removal" argument is when people argue that a powerful support or creature isn't a problem because it can be destroyed.
    My response, on the other hand, was a direct comment on "there's nothing you can do about it", because it's possible that Tilwin didn't see the part of the effect description that mandates there being a creature in play for V2's effect to trigger. 

• stikxs
    stikxs Posts: 518 Critical Contributor
    Brigby said:

Tilwin90 said:
    (I'm thinking here in particular at Apex of Power which could power up jumpstart cards)
    Unfortunately when I used Apex of Power to exile cards from my hand, it did not cause the mana to go to the Jump-start cards in my Graveyard.
    The blog post also does say "players must purposefully exile cards that have already acquired mana" so that makes sense, if sort of unfortunate for us :D.

Thanks for all the answers Brigby!
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Mburn7 said:
    madwren said:
    Tilwin90 said:

Not quite... It's just a change in playstyle when it's out...

Some planeswalkers you can just ignore and do what your deck does but there are a few where you have to change your style sometimes playing them:

Vraska1's First
    Bolas1's First
    Teferi's 3rd (some decks are annoyed by his first but it's less extreme)
    Lilliana1's 1st

There are others, but these 4 are potentially major changes to your playstyle given fighting them all with the exact same deck and no sideboarding.

So now Vraska2's 3rd is added to the list.

(And I've been told often enough to just play around Bolas that I'm not letting anyway get away with saying that's not a strategy for other things!)
  • Kinesia
    khurram said:
    Mburn7 said:
    Gunmix25 said:
    madwren said:
    Tilwin90 said:
    Mburn7 said:
    madwren said:
    Tilwin90 said:

I'm really glad that doesn't say "You slip in your excrement." like I first thought. It seemed a very weird thing to write!
  • madwren
    Kinesia said:
    Mburn7 said:
    madwren said:
    Tilwin90 said:

Some planeswalkers you can just ignore and do what your deck does but there are a few where you have to change your style sometimes playing them:

Right. The fact it's indestructible is a pretty major change, but at least it can be turned off (even if temporarily).  I think it's pretty clever, really. I guess we couldn't really expect we'd get an ultimate the same as the paper version. =)

I am a bit disappointed in her other abilities, though.
  • Kinesia
    madwren said:
    Kinesia said:
    Mburn7 said:
    madwren said:
    Tilwin90 said:

Right. The fact it's indestructible is a pretty major change, but at least it can be turned off (even if temporarily).  I think it's pretty clever, really. I guess we couldn't really expect we'd get an ultimate the same as the paper version. =)

I am a bit disappointed in her other abilities, though.

Hmmm... Actually, I wonder whether it was done _specifically_ to help her fighting her younger self!
  • Gabrosin
    Gabrosin Posts: 259 Mover and Shaker
    Brigby said:

There is no way to disable a Jump-start spell in your Graveyard. A confirmation prompt will appear each turn.
    As a practical matter, this might get incredibly annoying in long matches. The confirm prompts added for the Flash ability, while necessary, are already mildly annoying... a graveyard loaded up with Jump Start cards you don't necessarily want to use, each one prompting you on every turn, might tip people over the edge.  Can we not add a "Never" option for this ability?