*** Thor (Modern) ***

Comments

• Phaserhawk wrote:
    I'm thinking I'm just gonna have to pump some HP in to him, he's way to good right now to be sitting on the sideline, i'll see how many covers i can pick up in the juggernaut events, but hell, 0/5/5 would be a beast to deal with, let alone a fully levled 3/5/5 141 Thor, that would be instant, skip on my pvp

There's no reason to not invest in him right now because his skill set is very solid and fills a crucially missing role in the 3*. Let's say they just drop all his damage by 50% and call it a day, but his skills are still top notch on defense because none of them can somehow be used in the wrong way. He'll still do more damage than Hulk while the opponent is killing everyone but your tanks, and you don't have to worry about the AI's questionable use of abilities like Recharge/Battleplan/Defense Grid. The only tank character that's competitive against him would be Black Panther, who has two abilities the AI uses poorly (and his black probably will still get nerfed some more is my guess). On offense, as long as he can drop 9 green tiles with Thunder Strike, that pretty much assures him a place on offense given green is probably the best attack color in the game.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phantron wrote:
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    I'm thinking I'm just gonna have to pump some HP in to him, he's way to good right now to be sitting on the sideline, i'll see how many covers i can pick up in the juggernaut events, but hell, 0/5/5 would be a beast to deal with, let alone a fully levled 3/5/5 141 Thor, that would be instant, skip on my pvp

There's no reason to not invest in him right now because his skill set is very solid and fills a crucially missing role in the 3*. Let's say they just drop all his damage by 50% and call it a day, but his skills are still top notch on defense because none of them can somehow be used in the wrong way. He'll still do more damage than Hulk while the opponent is killing everyone but your tanks, and you don't have to worry about the AI's questionable use of abilities like Recharge/Battleplan/Defense Grid. The only tank character that's competitive against him would be Black Panther, who has two abilities the AI uses poorly (and his black probably will still get nerfed some more is my guess). On offense, as long as he can drop 9 green tiles with Thunder Strike, that pretty much assures him a place on offense given green is probably the best attack color in the game.

Oh for sure, He pairs very well with Punisher or Patch as a green battery. Who cares if you cast yellow and destroy a bunch of strike tiles, they did their job and you just recharged green to cast Judgement or Berserker Rage again to replinish. While I think BP actually fits better in most lineups, he just lacks at the blue. If I had the option I would go Puisher, C. Mags, and LazyThor.

Edit: And with Divine tournament on the horizon tomorrow, guess who will be a feature character....again.
  • Heh Phantron I like you an all man, but all this hate on things that are more powerful then the last needs to stop if we're going to be able to have fun toys and not just a bland match 3 game.
    first everyone complained till BP got a nerf and now complaining about LazyThor?
    Come on man!

Lets let the devs focus on doing what they're doing and hope they focus on buffing what we have rather then listen to us belly ache to nerf everything as they bring it out.
  • A character with more HP than a standard 5800 HP that also has strictly better damaging skills obseletes the existence of every character with only 5800 HP.

If you have more HP than another character, you should do less damage than the said character (of the same tier). This is just common sense, which seems to be extremely lacking.
  • MTGOFerret wrote:
    Heh Phantron I like you an all man, but all this hate on things that are more powerful then the last needs to stop if we're going to be able to have fun toys and not just a bland match 3 game.
    There are two very good reasons to complain that things are overpowered: one, if something is so overpowered it makes everything else obsolete, then the game gets much more boring because everyone who can will use that character and everyone else will complain that they don't have that character (see: Ragnarok, Thorverine, Spider Man); two, if every new character is overpowered relative to the existing set, then you get power creep, which means that over time characters only get better and better, and eventually you run out of design space for interesting characters.

Keeping characters balanced IS the way to give us fun toys.

Although I do have to quibble with this:
    Phantron wrote:
    A character with more HP than a standard 5800 HP that also has strictly better damaging skills obseletes the existence of every character with only 5800 HP.
    I'm pretty sure you mean "...every character with only 5800 hp and only damaging skills". I don't see anyone claiming that Thor obsoletes The Hood, for example.
  • The vast majority of characters have only damaging skills. Even abilities like AP steal can be calculated as a number by figuring out the average value of a point of AP (easier for red/green, but still quite possible for everything else) and in fact when you work it out, AP steal abilities do a staggering amount of damage. Stuns can be calculated as extra turns (and again you'd get a staggering amount of damage after calculating all the extra turns you get from Spiderman). Besides, there's no rule that says Thor can't be used with The Hood or Spiderman on the same team.

Actually, that'd have an interesting limitation if Thor's opponents cannot be stunned or AP steal, because the God of Thunder does not approve such trickery.
  • Phantron wrote:
    Even abilities like AP steal can be calculated as a number by figuring out the average value of a point of AP
    This is a really interesting way to look at things -- I might have to take this on as a fun side project. Thanks for the idea!
    Phantron wrote:
    Actually, that'd have an interesting limitation if Thor's opponents cannot be stunned or AP steal, because the God of Thunder does not approve such trickery.
    I'd love to see more characters with interesting passives like this.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phantron wrote:
    Magneto and Spiderman are way broken and should never be compared to anybody in terms of balance.

Patch is strong because of the aforementioned two characters that allows you to trivially get around the weakness of Berserker Rage. If these two characters aren't an option, you're either going to have to have Loki (a relatively weak character and you got to wait for a significant amount of black as well) or take significant risk on his best ability.

The Punisher is in no way comparable to lazy Thor. As powerful as Judgment is, it is not Call the Storm. The red is about equal, and Thunder Strike is pretty much better than Call the Storm (because it triggers a Call the Storm most of the time) and is easily better than Molotov.

I am using Thor right now a lot (in both events) and I still think Punisher and Patch are better, he is very slow and very focused to gain yellow to later use green. Yellow and Green are very expensive so if you neglect him this colors he is not that powerful (if you neglect him yellow you are allmost done with him).

I still think the problem is with the other 3*. Thor is a good 3*, a character worth playing. Since Patch this is the first one I really want to use. Right now neither GSBW (place green tiles wherever you choose), Hulk (better red ability), IM40 (cheaper red/blue abilities), Loki (third skill), Psylocke (more red, black base damage), Ragnarok (third skill), Daredevil (chose where to put traps, disable strike/attack tiles eventhough the other player will know where are they) or BP (yellow 1+, maybe not consume special tiles) are worth playing.

What it is true about Thor is that he is the first character I think is worth leveling to 141, because each new level all his abilitties get better in a significant way (for other characters 120-130 range is more than enough).
  • MTGOFerret wrote:
    Heh Phantron I like you an all man, but all this hate on things that are more powerful then the last needs to stop if we're going to be able to have fun toys and not just a bland match 3 game.
    first everyone complained till BP got a nerf and now complaining about LazyThor?
    Come on man!

Lets let the devs focus on doing what they're doing and hope they focus on buffing what we have rather then listen to us belly ache to nerf everything as they bring it out.

Out of curiosity, do you have things against Magic ban-lists as well? Bans/nerfs are important because otherwise you get to play things like T2 Affinity where there was exactly one viable deck.
  • Edarion
    Edarion Posts: 19 Just Dropped In
    Are people actually leveling 3* Thor or holding out in protest... It seems dumb to level two characters with exactly the same abilities etc.

The only difference being that 3* Thor has a higher max level....
  • I've currently got a 3/3/3 Lazy Thor at the cover capped level of 89. He's definitely a powerful character, but I'm still torn on whether I'd call him OP or not. I was playing his PvP against a team with a 100+ level Mags, and while I was focusing on collecting Red/Yellow/Green, I neglected to spot Mags collecting Purple. One Magnetic Translocation later and Thor had lost 90% of his health in one shot. I barely survived that match.

A sign of how powerful I feel he is can be seen that I consider him to be the main man in my 2nd string team. My main line up is 100 Patch, 100 Mags, 60 Spidey. My reserve team will be 89 Lazy Thor, 70 GSBW, and 70 Hulk (until I get more BP covers anyway). If you want to lay waste to the opposition quickly (and we know PvP is all about speed) I would still rate Patch and Classic Mags as far better characters than Lazy Thor.
  • If they keep puking out covers for LT, I'm definitely going to be using him alongside Psylocke and Magneto. He's too stronk to ignore as-is, and Psylocke could lay down the early hate while Thor brings up the late.
  • Polares
    DaveyPitch wrote:
    I've currently got a 3/3/3 Lazy Thor at the cover capped level of 89. He's definitely a powerful character, but I'm still torn on whether I'd call him OP or not. I was playing his PvP against a team with a 100+ level Mags, and while I was focusing on collecting Red/Yellow/Green, I neglected to spot Mags collecting Purple. One Magnetic Translocation later and Thor had lost 90% of his health in one shot. I barely survived that match.

A sign of how powerful I feel he is can be seen that I consider him to be the main man in my 2nd string team. My main line up is 100 Patch, 100 Mags, 60 Spidey. My reserve team will be 89 Lazy Thor, 70 GSBW, and 70 Hulk (until I get more BP covers anyway). If you want to lay waste to the opposition quickly (and we know PvP is all about speed) I would still rate Patch and Classic Mags as far better characters than Lazy Thor.

Thor changes A LOT when you have yellow at 5. Even from 4 to 5 it is a BIG difference (at 5 almost always you have a cascade, at four just sometimes). I got mine at 3/5/4 level 98 and he is great, but as I said earlier I still think Patch and Punisher are better because their abilities are cheaper or more versatile.
  • Polares wrote:
    Thor changes A LOT when you have yellow at 5. Even from 4 to 5 it is a BIG difference (at 5 almost always you have a cascade, at four just sometimes). I got mine at 3/5/4 level 98 and he is great, but as I said earlier I still think Patch and Punisher are better because their abilities are cheaper or more versatile.

I'd agree with that. Thor's Yellow is the only thing that qualifies him as OP really. His Red is good but there are better out there. Call The Storm is powerful, but both BP's Black and GSBW's Sniper Rifle both hit for more damage. It's the Lightning Storm generating all that green that's the real issue.

If D3 plan to funbalance him at all, they should have his Yellow end the turn. At least that way you're potentially handing your opponent a boatload of greens to work with, and if you're up against a max level Patch, Ares or Thor, you might think twice before using it (certainly if you don't have a good amount of green already stored up).
  • Polares
    DaveyPitch wrote:
    Polares wrote:

I'd agree with that. Thor's Yellow is the only thing that qualifies him as OP really. His Red is good but there are better out there. Call The Storm is powerful, but both BP's Black and GSBW's Sniper Rifle both hit for more damage. It's the Lightning Storm generating all that green that's the real issue.

If D3 plan to funbalance him at all, they should have his Yellow end the turn. At least that way you're potentially handing your opponent a boatload of greens to work with, and if you're up against a max level Patch, Ares or Thor, you might think twice before using it (certainly if you don't have a good amount of green already stored up).

But this doesn't have much sense because regular 2* Thor generates 9 green tiles too. Of course he does way less damage, but then it would be strange that 3* Thor finish the turn after using yellow and 2* Thor don't. And of course, the abilty looses all utility if you give the other player the option of matching before you do. Why would you use an ability that gives green tiles to the other player? You could generate a cascade, but it is way too dangerous (very different ability than Hoods yellow).

I think this ability is ok as it is right now. I want to play with good characters!!! I am gonna start a campaing "Don't nerf!!! Buff the rest!!!" icon_razz.gif
  • Thor 2*'s yellow is equally overpowered but most people don't worry about it because 2* are not really competitive against high end 3*s, and like Thor 3*, Thor 2*'s other two abilities are hardly overpowered. Adding 9 green tile is the same as having 1.5 Oasis, and if you ever did environmental tricks on desert you'll know that's insane. Assuming Thunder Strike keep its flavor, it should do way less damage while still adding 9 green and function similar to Deceptive Tactics which is very similar in cost. Yes, you get to pick where you put the green tiles with Deceptive Tactics, but when you're adding 9 green tiles to the board, it's pretty hard not to have at least one massive cascade.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Polares wrote:
    But this doesn't have much sense because regular 2* Thor generates 9 green tiles too. Of course he does way less damage, but then it would be strange that 3* Thor finish the turn after using yellow and 2* Thor don't. And of course, the abilty looses all utility if you give the other player the option of matching before you do. Why would you use an ability that gives green tiles to the other player? You could generate a cascade, but it is way too dangerous (very different ability than Hoods yellow).

I think this ability is ok as it is right now. I want to play with good characters!!! I am gonna start a campaing "Don't nerf!!! Buff the rest!!!" icon_razz.gif

I'm not so sure, his Green hits like a truck, it is vastly better than the 2* version, if you can get a quick Call of the Storm it's game, I think he can wipe out a majority of the team.
  • This information my have been posted in one of the 14 pages of replies, but I noticed that this initial post didn't have all the stats for the powers, and I have 3 yellow and 3 Green covers:

Thunder Strike
    3 Covers - Power Cost 12 - 762 Damage - +6 Green
    4 Covers: Note says converts 7 tiles and 904 Damage

Call the Storm
    3 Covers - Power cost 14 - 1319 Damage and 659 Damage
    4 Covers: Note says 1613 Damage and 805 Damage

Again might already be listed by someone, but figured it couldn't hurt to share.

I should note that I have mine at 61... because looking at the original post, the scaling of level must be under account.
  • Hello folks these are my thoughts and findings on modern Thor I think they could of definitely could have thought up a NEW 3* character but they choose to recycle the EXACT SAME CHARACTER NO NEW POWERS where are the new characters? How bout a completely new 3* villain maybe 4* Thanos sounds good to me! Any who sorry about the rant but honestly I'm sick of the recycled/alternative characters. New Thor is great mine is at 78 I think and I'm aiming to max him out, still bored with the same powers though.

Mjolnir’s Might
    Red 8 AP
    Thor brings his hammer down on the enemy, dealing 83 damage. The magical energies of his hammer begin to charge his next strike, adding 3 Yellow tiles to the board.
    Level Upgrades:
    Level 2: 135 damage.
    Level 3: 187 damage.
    Level 4: 239 damage.
    Level 5: 291 damage.

Max Level: 1817 damage.

Thunder Strike
    Yellow 12 AP
    A lightning bolt pierces the sky and rips into the target, dealing 154 damage. A storm is brewing; 4 Green tiles are added to the board.
    Level Upgrades:
    Level 2: Converts 5 tiles. 200 damage.
    Level 3: Converts 6 tiles. 246 damage.
    Level 4: Converts 7 tiles. 293 damage.
    Level 5: Converts 9 tiles. 339 damage.

Max Level: 2121 damage

Call The Storm
    Green 14 AP
    Thor summons a violent storm to smite the enemy. The rage of the heavens rains down on the battlefield, dealing 237 damage to the target and 118 damage to other enemies.
    Level Upgrades:
    Level 2: 332 damage to target. 165 damage to other enemies.
    Level 3: 427 damage to target. 212 damage to other enemies.
    Level 4: 521 damage to target. 260 damage to other enemies.
    Level 5: 616 damage to target. 307 damage to other enemies.

Max Level: 3856 damage to target. 1927 damage to other enemies.

Do not get confused between Thor (Modern) and Thor (Marvel NOW!), they are different. The basic structure of their powers are identical, however Thor (Modern) is a 3-star hero as opposed to the 2-Star (Marvel NOW!) version. Thor (Modern) has a higher level cap of 141, a higher max health of 8700, and all 3 of his powers deal significantly more damage than Thor (Marvel NOW!).

Gem strength

Red 67
    Green 52
    Yellow. 60
    Blue. 11
    Purple. 10
    Black. 12
    Critical. 3.5x
    Enviromental. 3

Hope this helps.
  • Thor worked great for me when he was a 2 star. Rocked OBW/Thor/M. Storm like everyone else. Felt invincible. Thing is, now that I have a 3 star roster, I just can't find a home for him. In a world where you have Spider-Man, Mags, etc. it's just sooooooo hard to get to 12 yellow icon_e_sad.gif If anyone has any viable team-ups with him I'm all ears. As is stands I feel he is similar to Black Panther. Everyone thought he was OP NERF at first but I think they both end up somewhere in between the middle and the top.