3.0 Release Notes *Updated (11/13/18)

Comments

• khurram
    khurram Posts: 1,077 Chairperson of the Boards
    Kinesia said:
    khurram said:
    @Brigby A little confused about the decision on the standard rotation changes, even after reading the blog post. What's an easier transition for players --- one set rotation out at a time or four sets rotating out at once? (even though it will happen once a year).

Also if only the last 4 sets will have the cheaper crafting costs (IXN, RIX DOM, M19) then it means that GRN will have the expensive crafting cost for an entire year. I don't expect players to be very happy about that.

Can you please ask the devs about that?

Not an actual answer but I was thinking that 1 huge disturbance a year instead of 4 smaller ones would cause less complaints than people feeling like they are _constantly_ having to rebuild their decks and start again. (Which we've definitely had people complaining about.)
    I am definitely not against the change, especially now that I have spent a good chunk of my resources to get Swords to Plowshares, after reading this post.  :)

But I am curious and mainly just concerned, about new sets remaining too expensive to craft for a very long time, from now on.
  • GrizzoMtGPQ
    GrizzoMtGPQ Posts: 776 Critical Contributor
    The hidden cost increase of orb crafting with this update. The new austerity?
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,226 Chairperson of the Boards
    khurram said:
    The guild mechanic blog post is giving me a deja vu back when they did blog posts about ixalan's mechanics and there just weren't enough cards with those mechanics in ixalan (explore, enrage). Or when they talked about leader with DOM and we ended up with Squee

Keep in mind leader isn't a paper keyword, though.

However, there likely will be only a handful for each. Checking Gatherer shows 12 with undergrowth, 10 with jump-start, 11 with mentor, and ~30 with surveil. 

By comparison, there were 14 with explore in PQ (19 in paper) and 11 with enrage (16 in paper)
  • khurram
    khurram Posts: 1,077 Chairperson of the Boards
    Since the Standard side of Booster Crafting has 4 price points

I thought there were three? 3000, 5000 and 7500, if we just consider mythics

the oldest 4 non-Origin Sets will receive the cheapest price tag of the four.

Does that mean the oldest 4 will have the same cost as origins?
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    khurram said:
    Since the Standard side of Booster Crafting has 4 price points

I thought there were three? 3000, 5000 and 7500, if we just consider mythics

the oldest 4 non-Origin Sets will receive the cheapest price tag of the four.

Does that mean the oldest 4 will have the same cost as origins?

Perhaps #4 is infinity, the newest set that can't be crafted?
  • BATMAN1
    BATMAN1 Posts: 146 Tile Toppler
    edited November 2018
    So here’s my take on the new rotation system. The last set of the rotation block will be dismissed by the competitive player core, this will be done so they can hoard resources for the first set of the new rotation shift. No matter how good the last set will be many will be too concerned with losing the other cards they have amassed and replacing them with the first set new rotation. This doesn’t seem like a good idea for anybody (devs, marketing, or players). I understand that MTGPQ is trying to align more with paper, but since there is no tangible product for us online players its never gonna be the same. I suggest you try and create a new business plan aimed at the MTGPQ playerbase and not the paper people. 

My suggestion to the puzzle at hand would be to do a half step, after four sets lose 2 and keep ORI and the two more recent. 

So keep 5 in standard at any given time, ORI plus 4 recent at the rotation time eliminate the 2 eldest other then ORI and then do ordinary set release with the next two. Then rotate. 
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    @BATMAN1 most competitive players already hoard resources. I have almost a complete M19 set (missing one mythic I don’t want and 3 MP) and I have almost 4500 crystals waiting for GRN. 

New sets will still be coming every 3 ish months so we have something to spend on — and hoarding is only good to a point. I haven’t had a reason to crack a pack in 2 months. Not fun. 

tl;dr Hoarders gonna hoard. 

PS: I like the new rotation. 
  • Machine
    Machine Posts: 787 Critical Contributor
    Two words: Good stuff!
  • UweTellkampf
    UweTellkampf Posts: 376 Mover and Shaker
    edited November 2018
    I look forward to new cards. And to some of the bugs being squished.

My disappointment is bigger than the joy though. As others have already stated – what's with the lack of fresh events? What good are all the new cards, when I am set to use them in the umptieth Bore against the Consulate? The only new event is one that seems similar to AI and can be done in half an hour daily grind, which will become tedious after a month. I really don't recall a game, in which a format is designed, and most of the player base says: "I just wanna get over it fast". 

We need fresh and engaging coalition events. I have the feeling that Oktagon is severely underestimating the power of our communities which hold the best players and also the ones spending money on the game. I hear on a daily basis from people "I'd quit if there weren't the communities". And those grow and bond with coalition events and not with the pesky little energise 6 gems while you take a ****. 
  • Theros
    Theros Posts: 490 Mover and Shaker
    edited November 2018
    I was hoping they made some changes  to Totp. Many in the community hates it due to tediousness, not difficulty. Spending 1hr a day average (whith the best decks) on totp is something only the harcore base wants unchanged.
    Reducing some nodes, adding obejective or increasing reward per win will to speed up progression   make it bearable.
  • Mark_Tedin
    Mark_Tedin Posts: 167 Tile Toppler
    edited November 2018
    Brigby said:

• The player no longer draws cards before the opponent does, when the opponent casts Day's Undoing.

I do not understand. Why are you nerfing our staple origins? Why should I continue to spend money on a game that disables our old cards that we sweat so hard to achieve? First was Shrine of the Forsaken Gods. After New Perspective. Now it was Day's Undoing. What's next? Olivia? You are discrediting the old players. 

I'm really thinking if I should stay in the game.
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2018
    Brigby said:

• The player no longer draws cards before the opponent does, when the opponent casts Day's Undoing.

I do not understand. Why are you nerfing our staple origins? Why should I continue to spend money on a game that disables our old cards that we sweat so hard to achieve? First was Shrine of the Forsaken Gods. Now it was Day's Undoing. What's next? Olivia? You are discrediting the old players. 

You think this is a nerf?  It doesn't effect anything when you cast it.
  • andrewvanmarle
    andrewvanmarle Posts: 971 Critical Contributor
    So when you play days undoing nothing changes, but when the opponent does you draw last?? 
  • NinjaE
    NinjaE Posts: 213 Tile Toppler
    I am very excited for these changes. All the bug updates are greatly appreciated, and I think the standard rotations will be more interesting.
  • fiirst
    fiirst Posts: 438 Mover and Shaker
    edited November 2018
    Brigby said:

Event Changes

Trial of the Planes
    • Changed the Booster Reward: M19 to GRN.
    Fate Is Rarely Fair
    • Mana Runes in Progression Rewards have been increased in each Color Mastery tier.
    • Mana Runes and Booster Packs in Placement Rewards have been increased / changed in each Color Mastery tier.
    • Secondary objectives have been changed.
    Progression Reward Changes

Placement Reward Changes

Across Ixalan
    • Changed to 2 day event
    • Changed to Legacy event
    • Removed 20 Mana Crystals entry cost. Event is now free!
    • Mana Runes in Progression Rewards have been increased in each Color Mastery tier.

thanks for your understanding and help us for rune strave issue, but revealing the whole reward structure would be more informative. TBH, we cant remember the whole reward structure.
  • Theros
    Theros Posts: 490 Mover and Shaker
    fiirst said:
    Brigby said:

Event Changes

Trial of the Planes
    • Changed the Booster Reward: M19 to GRN.
    Fate Is Rarely Fair
    • Mana Runes and Booster Packs in Placement Rewards have been increased / changed in each Color Mastery tier.

Placement Reward Changes

Across Ixalan
    • Changed to 2 day event
    • Changed to Legacy event
    • Removed 20 Mana Crystals entry cost. Event is now free!

thanks for your understanding and help us for rune strave issue, but revealing the whole reward structure would be more informative. TBH, we cant remember the whole reward structure.
    Probably doesn't look good and to avoid early backlash. We will find out if Across ixalan still gives jewels or not 
  • Monkeynutts
    Monkeynutts Posts: 566 Critical Contributor
    Want to be able to TARGET supports when casting as destroy support spell or creature.....

Big miss Oktagon
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Brigby said:

I do not understand. Why are you nerfing our staple origins? Why should I continue to spend money on a game that disables our old cards that we sweat so hard to achieve? First was Shrine of the Forsaken Gods. After New Perspective. Now it was Day's Undoing. What's next? Olivia? You are discrediting the old players. 

This is a buff to Day's Undoing, not a nerf. Try playing it after this change with Sphinx's Tutelage and/or Psychic Corrosion. Before this change, you would draw, then your opponent would draw. Now, if I'm reading this right, your opponent draws, then you draw, giving those two supports the ability to increase the cost of the first two cards in your opponent's hand.
  • rafalele
    rafalele Posts: 876 Critical Contributor
    Want to be able to TARGET supports when casting as destroy support spell or creature.....

Big miss Oktagon
    Read about it here.

https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/75791/q-a-w-oktagon-october-edition-10-31-18#latest