*** Iron Man (Model 40) ***

Comments

• Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Viorala wrote:
    This dude needs more health. He's a great AP battery but not if he takes most colors and ends up dying first.

I think his life is ok. What I would do is lower red cost to 12 and raise damage a little bit 10% or so (4000 as max damage), and lower blue cost by 2 and raise damage by 15-20% (3000 as max damage). I think with these changes IM40 would be great.

It is kind of cool that you need other color tiles to fire his weapons, but then base cost should be lower to compensate for this cost.

I really hope the devs make these changes, because I would love to play IM40 more, not just when he is buffed icon_e_sad.gif
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Polares wrote:
    Viorala wrote:
    This dude needs more health. He's a great AP battery but not if he takes most colors and ends up dying first.

I think his life is ok. What I would do is lower red cost to 12 and raise damage a little bit 10% or so (4000 as max damage), and lower blue cost by 2 and raise damage by 15-20% (3000 as max damage). I think with these changes IM40 would be great.

It is kind of cool that you need other color tiles to fire his weapons, but then base cost should be lower to compensate for this cost.

I really hope the devs make these changes, because I would love to play IM40 more, not just when he is buffed icon_e_sad.gif

I agree, this guy is almost there, Yellow is fine, I don't like the CD tiles, so maybe you could shave off an AP on the ability, His Red I think would be super cool if....It cost half the red, but...requires 2AP of the other colors, in essence it would cost you 10 + whatever the red is, or if you leave it as is then the ability should do extra damage for each other color it drains. So it will take 2 AP of the other colors if they are there, but you get say an extra 100 damage per AP. Blue is simple...drop the cost, period. Leave the skill as is, I still think if this skill was 18 AP it would be hugely playable. You can easily get 3 matches of blue, get yellow, then activate yellow, if no tiles are destroyed and IM40 comes back off stun, you would have 18 AP.

Summary, let red do more damage, drop AP cost of blue to 18 and he's golden (look at BP, that guy does insane damage for black and it costs 12 AP)
  • Agreed. I think IM40 belongs in the queue for a buff. Not sure how you can justify the cost & damage for blue when you look at what Black Panther's black & Thor's green can do for a fraction of the cost.
  • Well, having an AP factory that doesn't shatter the board and thus wipe out your own strike tiles is a huge plus. People are complaining in all the OBW threads about character with utility, this guy has it. I don't even know what the point of his blue is but his red is good for killshots, it's high enough damage when he's leveled somewhat that the last man standing can go down without making a lot of matches. I'm on board with lowering the AP cost of his red, but really I think his potential lies in tanking for the team. I mean the stun alone pretty much says this guy is not for straight DPS.

If not increase his health, maybe they should switch his blue to a minor heal. Not on the same level as OBW and Spidey, that would be too OP, but a minor heal to keep teams up. Not to backseat dev drive but his blue is actually stupid, an AOE is pointless at the end of a match which is where you end up trying to get 20 pts, with or without stuns.
  • mouser
    mouser Posts: 529 Critical Contributor
    Have a 5/5/3 IM40 and just picked up a Yellow cover. So have a week to mull over whether to move to 5/4/4 or not.

I'm a bit unsure if I need the purple, however I can count the number of times I've used his Blue ability on one hand. It just almost never happens.
  • I run with OBW regularly and I still don't think the purple replenishment is necessary. My OBW is 3/5/5 though, and eight is pretty easy to get. If you have a higher AP requirement it might...maybe..be worth looking into. But then you have to go for more yellows. And for some reason the A.I. gets all territorial with yellows with me, even when they don't use it. ("cStorm, stahp...stahhhppp...")

I'm still leveling this guy and trying to fit him into a group but he's a damage magnet, it's ridiculous. I'll be one away from doing recharge and I look down and he's at 200 health.
  • mags1587
    mags1587 Posts: 1,020 Chairperson of the Boards
    Generating purple is good if you're using IM40 with GSBW. He doesn't generate enough green for sniper rifle, but she can use the purple to generate green, and a few crit tiles in the process.
  • mags1587 wrote:
    Generating purple is good if you're using IM40 with GSBW. He doesn't generate enough green for sniper rifle, but she can use the purple to generate green, and a few crit tiles in the process.

And Classic Magneto with the extra bonus of IM40 tanking red and yellow for him.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Viorala wrote:
    I run with OBW regularly and I still don't think the purple replenishment is necessary. My OBW is 3/5/5 though, and eight is pretty easy to get. If you have a higher AP requirement it might...maybe..be worth looking into. But then you have to go for more yellows. And for some reason the A.I. gets all territorial with yellows with me, even when they don't use it. ("cStorm, stahp...stahhhppp...")

I'm still leveling this guy and trying to fit him into a group but he's a damage magnet, it's ridiculous. I'll be one away from doing recharge and I look down and he's at 200 health.

Here's the thing, a 5/4/4 build vs a 5/5/3 build is vitrutally the same thing. You probably will never cast Balastic Salvo, and if you did the stun is moot, the difference between 10AP recharge adn 12AP recharge is also nothing. Unless you just run a +1or +2 yellow/red AP Boost, there is no difference. I have never not been able to cast Recharge at lvl 4 when I could have at level 3, I'm sure it will happen, but not yet so far. Is purple necessary? No, does it help, you bet. My new favorite combo team is Patch, C. Mags, and IM40. IM40 tanks all the colors but green (patch) and black,blue (C.Mags). All you have to do is match yellow, activate recharge, and then the game is pretty much over as C.Mags and Patch will take care of the rest.
  • Hm, ok, thanks. I'll try running him with cmags and wolverine, my Patch is too low right now. This gives me hope for the future though!
  • Yeah IM40 is really good with Wolverine. I was using both in the Juggernaut event with Modern Black Widow with great results.

Recharge lets you get off Adamantium Slash with just 1 red match, but not before you can do a Feral Rage (without having to match a single green tile to give Daken his strike tiles) and basically fill the board with strike tiles. The blue was nice because it let me fire off Widows Sting and stun half the team.

Im sure 2* Wolverine isnt as good as Patch but he'll certainly get the job done
  • I find IM40 is very under rated. He is brilliant for the long haul matches and works well with most other characters.
  • I typically hate im40. He's not very versatile and his 1/2 rate abilities are all ap hogs.

I am thinking he might actually be a really good pair up with a 3/5/5 patch though. Im40 drops his yellow. Stubs himself. Patch gains more board control just in time to suck in that ap and launch his red.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    beemand2g wrote:
    I find IM40 is very under rated. He is brilliant for the long haul matches and works well with most other characters.

He doesn't hold up very well on his own though since his entire worth on your team depends on whether or not you can abuse his yellow. Blue is near unusable and red does decent damage but the drawback is very significant, so we're left with a 1 ability wonder and a sack of hp. He has interesting synergy with Patch as Psychopathic said, but I'd prefer to invest into characters that can fit into more teams and give good value. He was useful during the Heroic Juggs event with roster restrictions, but I don't see much use for him outside of that.
  • Patch red +IM40 seems like a loooooooot of work just to do what Mags does for 10 purple....
  • Patch red +IM40 seems like a loooooooot of work just to do what Mags does for 10 purple....
    After mags purple goes off it's over. Patch keeps the pain coming. icon_e_smile.gif it's not the best. I still hate im40 and he's not getting any of my ISO.
  • Puritas
    Puritas Posts: 670 Critical Contributor
    beemand2g wrote:
    He was useful during the Heroic Juggs event with roster restrictions, but I don't see much use for him outside of that.

The thing about im40 is
    he's buffed in a good half of the events :/
  • I like this guy but here's my complaint: the board is always stingy with the yellow tiles when he's on board. Always. And then when there is a match, the AI will ignore all reason and take it, even though it doesn't deny color AP 75% of the rest of the time.

I don't get it. If I run with Astonishing Wolverine, the board is full of red, and less full with green. If I run with Black Panther or Doctor Doom, there are black tiles everywhere. Even running with The Hood in the tourney, there are yellow tiles. What do I have to do to get yellow tiles to show up for IM40, because that's the only way he works well.

I've actually been having fits about this the past two days because I finally leveled him to 102 and half the time he's useless till the red killshot.
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Try running him with Thor, too. Thor provides some yellow (not much, granted), IM 40 recharges red, green and blue (and purple if you care) and goes offline, rinse and repeat. It's also good against enemy Daken because you sacrifice the beauty that is Thunder Strike to safely recharge green.
  • Aw, Thunderstrike is my fave Thor power. But you're right, I need to try that. Thanks.