Domino's S.H.I.E.L.D. Training and Its Required Characters

Comments

• St_Bernadus
    St_Bernadus Posts: 587 Critical Contributor
    Vins2 said:
    Who’s idea was it to go back to running newish characters in shield training, I only have two 4*s not champed and dazzler is one of them 

would like confirmation of when Cable enters LL as might get more dazzlers when I use my CP hoard 
    Dazzler has been featured a lot (along with Emma and Nebula) so you can get more in progression. Plus she is in Shield Sim.

Cable enters LL tokens Monday or Tuesday - before Shield Training ends.
    Except Nebula was skipped and she's a month older.  Ghost too and she was a boss event reward.  "A lot" for Dazzler only means one pve so far, maybe two by the end of the event following the Hunt.
    So much this. No Nebula, Ghost, or Wiccan as far as I remember.
    This will be her 3rd (in Meet R&G) but your point is well made. When they made it Emma for Taskmaster training, a bunch of characters were skipped. 
  • BigSoftieFF
    BigSoftieFF Posts: 454 Mover and Shaker
    Vins2 said:
    Who’s idea was it to go back to running newish characters in shield training, I only have two 4*s not champed and dazzler is one of them 

would like confirmation of when Cable enters LL as might get more dazzlers when I use my CP hoard 
    Dazzler has been featured a lot (along with Emma and Nebula) so you can get more in progression. Plus she is in Shield Sim.

Cable enters LL tokens Monday or Tuesday - before Shield Training ends.
    Except Nebula was skipped and she's a month older.  Ghost too and she was a boss event reward.  "A lot" for Dazzler only means one pve so far, maybe two by the end of the event following the Hunt.
    So much this. No Nebula, Ghost, or Wiccan as far as I remember.
    This will be her 3rd (in Meet R&G) but your point is well made. When they made it Emma for Taskmaster training, a bunch of characters were skipped. 
    That’s the killer is the skipped characters. To be honest it hopefully won’t really affect me much as my Dazzler is 2/2/4 and there is one available in MR&G, Shield Sim, and multiples available for placement in The Hunt.

Still bums me out that I bonused Ghost and then Nebula assuming they would be required first.  You know what they say about assuming though....
  • Vins2
    Vins2 Posts: 183 Tile Toppler
    As for S.H.I.E.L.D. Training, I'm a little confused. Isn't Dazzler the most requested and most popular character here?

I know you try so hard to defend d3, but what point are you trying to argue with this statement? 
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    edited October 2018
    As for S.H.I.E.L.D. Training, I'm a little confused. Isn't Dazzler the most requested and most popular character here?

Also, S.H.I.E.L.D. Training was introduced in September 2017. Before its existence, did the dev give the players another way to gain an extra new 4* cover through other other non-S.H.I.E.L.D. Training event? Did the devs shift that one extra cover to S.H.I.E.L.D. Training?

If S.H.I.E.L.D. Training was introduced to let players gain an additional new 4* cover and other resources on top of what they have been getting or earning regularly, I don't see how the devs can be called greedy. 
    Because it's an event. Following your logic, why do they have any more than a single event that they run, through which we can send their, our, growing Ark of characters? Or no events, and we can collect characters like kids do dolls and sit around dreaming what it's like to run missions with them. (Not unlike what I do with Shield Training, I guess...)

The point of the game is to play events (with characters we collect by playing events). Why put in an out-of-routine event that significant numbers of players cannot complete other than by spending money? The question answers itself.

Does that help at all?

(Sorry for the snark, but your question seems obtuse to me and many of us are pretty genuinely annoyed by this practice. It is plainly manipulative of an emotional character-type highly correlatable with gamers and collectors. That said -- I usually like many of your comments so I'm not trying to antagonize you more than just being a little snarky...).
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    I thought we stopped requiring newer 4*s for Shield Training.

I've been saving my CP and legendaries for Cable's release, which I imagine will be after Shield Training ends. Doubt I'm going to be lucky enough to get a bonus 4* from heroics alone.

And of course the Heroes for Hire store gives the two older 4*s so we can't even do that.
  • Drlex
    Drlex Posts: 106 Tile Toppler

I've been saving my CP and legendaries for Cable's release, which I imagine will be after Shield Training ends. Doubt I'm going to be lucky enough to get a bonus 4* from heroics alone.

And of course the Heroes for Hire store gives the two older 4*s so we can't even do that.
    I believe Cable enters next Monday. That should leave shield training still open for a few days. You might get lucky with the hoard.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2018
    If you look at the game as a whole, most players are going to miss out certain things one way or another. Early players will miss out on most essential nodes in Story Events and Alliance events. As they progress, they can complete more nodes, rank higher and get more resources. Advance players will miss out on some 4* and 5* nodes. I think this applies to Shield Training too. Not all Players can get everything.

Factually speaking, Dazzler was made available on 6 September. Players can earn:

1) 6 sep pvp: 2 placement covers
    2) 9 sep pvp: 1 progession cover
    3) 6 sep shield training (featured all "old" characters: 1 cover 
    4) 6 sep pve: 3 placement covers + 1 alliance placement cover
    5) 10 sep pve: 1 progression
    6) 21 oct pvp: 2 placement covers
    7) 23 oct pvp: 1 progression cover 
    8) 29 oct pve: 3 placement covers + 1 alliance placement cover
    9) shield simulator: 1 progression cover

That's a total of 17 covers that can be earned without spending real cash, and you dont need 13 covers to hit 209.

Any displeasure about the required characters in shield training has almost  always been focus about these two aspects: 1) new characters 2) old characters that are unpopular 

Logically speaking, the only way to satisfy players is to choose only old and popular characters as essential characters, or very popular new 4* character.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,572 Chairperson of the Boards

Also, S.H.I.E.L.D. Training was introduced in September 2017. Before its existence, did the dev give the players another way to gain an extra new 4* cover through other other non-S.H.I.E.L.D. Training event? Did the devs shift that one extra cover to S.H.I.E.L.D. Training?

If S.H.I.E.L.D. Training was introduced to let players gain an additional new 4* cover and other resources on top of what they have been getting or earning regularly, I don't see how the devs can be called greedy. 

Don't mean to pick on your post but...

1.) Dazzler was a forum joke. That isn't to say that there weren't players who genuinely wanted her but this is a bit disingenuous. I don't know what the polls looked like before Dazzler was released but Gambit was declared as the most requested character last time the Devs confirmed any such statistics to my recollection, which explains partly why he was released in such a game breaking condition as a meta shiny to chase.

2.) Actually they did. Coulson, Amadeus Cho, Howard the Duck (ongoing), Ant-man all had events that awarded a 4* cover, System Reboot awarded covers for rebalanced characters including 4* - Ghost Rider and Kingpin for example. My recollection is that none of those events were gated but I could be wrong. As we haven't had character rebalances (Gambit aside) and therefore System Reboot since S.H.I.E.L.D Training it would appear that perhaps they did indeed shift the covers. Don't know, speculation.

3.) S.H.I.E.L.D. Training was officially (by Brigby I believe, could be wrong) classified as a method to reward veteran players together with those who spent money to chase new releases - it was acknowledged that in early runs (starting with Nightcrawler) that it was a reward for players who spent which is why it featured the previously released 4*. At some point in 2018 this changed so that it wasn't the last new release. If veteren players complain that they are unable to complete the event, then possibly either the motivation behind the event has changed (quite possibly and entirely the Devs discretion) or something is not working out as intended as based upon your own logic those players should have been able to obtain the covers required. Of course the reality seems somewhat different.

• Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    DAZ0273 said:

3.) S.H.I.E.L.D. Training was officially (by Brigby I believe, could be wrong) classified as a method to reward veteran players together with those who spent money to chase new releases - it was acknowledged that in early runs (starting with Nightcrawler) that it was a reward for players who spent which is why it featured the previously released 4*. At some point in 2018 this changed so that it wasn't the last new release. If veteren players complain that they are unable to complete the event, then possibly either the motivation behind the event has changed (quite possibly and entirely the Devs discretion) or something is not working out as intended as based upon your own logic those players should have been able to obtain the covers required. Of course the reality seems somewhat different. 
    I didn’t know this — that it was expressly a bonus for those who pay (but pay how much? How often?). I would have less of an issue with it if this was in fact explicit. Just make it a paid tournament: $20 ticket to play + whatever extra swag; done.

As it is, I feel like I’m foreclosed from an event I “should” be able to play and to completion, just like all events, being a loyal and diligent player on a solid, established alliance. I roster every character (rolling through 1*s as one does) and am a veteran, so my situation via-à-vis this “event” is fundamentally distinguishable from a new player who doesn’t yet have a full roster attempting a regular story event. 
  • MoosePrime
    MoosePrime Posts: 946 Critical Contributor
    DAZ0273 said:
    2.) Actually they did. Coulson, Amadeus Cho, Howard the Duck (ongoing), Ant-man all had events that awarded a 4* cover, System Reboot awarded covers for rebalanced characters including 4* - Ghost Rider and Kingpin for example. My recollection is that none of those events were gated but I could be wrong. As we haven't had character rebalances (Gambit aside) and therefore System Reboot since S.H.I.E.L.D Training it would appear that perhaps they did indeed shift the covers. Don't know, speculation.
    IIRC, the System Reboot covers required already having the character.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 said:
    That would make sense as the point was to try out the rebalanced character. Don't think there was a minimum level though.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,894 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yepyep said:

I didn’t know this — that it was expressly a bonus for those who pay (but pay how much? How often?). I would have less of an issue with it if this was in fact explicit. Just make it a paid tournament: $20 ticket to play + whatever extra swag; done.

As it is, I feel like I’m foreclosed from an event I “should” be able to play and to completion, just like all events, being a loyal and diligent player on a solid, established alliance. I roster every character (rolling through 1*s as one does) and am a veteran, so my situation via-à-vis this “event” is fundamentally distinguishable from a new player who doesn’t yet have a full roster attempting a regular story event. 
    But the reality is it’s not that different from a new player who doesn’t have say the 4* and 5* essentials and thus can’t complete those nodes and get those rewards. In this case you need certain characters at a certain level but in neither case “should” a player be entitled to play to completion. To be clear I’ve never “completed” a shield event. I usually get the 4* cover but have never once cleared the bottom. I’ve also never once hit 1200 in PVP.  I don’t begrudge those who have the roster to or can afford to spend to.  I just get the rewards my roster is capable of getting and move on. If you make it a pay tournament then then you miss out on the opportunity to at least get some rewards you otherwise wouldn’t. 

DAZ0273 said:

For reasons unknown, they seemed to jettison the last release 4* essential in 2018 and mixed it up a bit but the last two have edged back to newer releases, although not a s brutal as when it first started.
    To be clear it is as brutal as when it first started. Making the most recently released 4* an essential character hasn’t happened since February (9 months ago) but is about as brutal as it gets (with the exception of the time Panther wasn’t in tokens yet). 

By the way, my Shield Training history may be helpful to this thread.

https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/70293/list-of-s-h-i-e-l-d-training-essentials/p1?new=1

• DAZ0273

DAZ0273 said:

For reasons unknown, they seemed to jettison the last release 4* essential in 2018 and mixed it up a bit but the last two have edged back to newer releases, although not a s brutal as when it first started.
    To be clear it is as brutal as when it first started. Making the most recently released 4* an essential character hasn’t happened since February (9 months ago) but is about as brutal as it gets (with the exception of the time Panther wasn’t in tokens yet). 

By the way, my Shield Training history may be helpful to this thread.

https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/70293/list-of-s-h-i-e-l-d-training-essentials/p1?new=1

I guess you are right as Taskmaster and Anniversary skewed things making it seem like Dazzler has been out longer when she was delayed going into tokens. So Dazzler is in effect the last 4* release available from tokens. So we have come full circle, except in fact it is actually now even harder to get a specific 4* from tokens due to dilution being restored.

Happy days?
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm comfortable not being able to complete the bottom row of Shield Training. That should be for the ultra hardcore who are willing to spend fortunes on the game. However, as someone who's approaching 4 years playing this game, I should be able to complete all the nodes above that. At present, that shall not be possible with a 7 cover Dazzler. 
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm comfortable not being able to complete the bottom row of Shield Training. That should be for the ultra hardcore who are willing to spend fortunes on the game. However, as someone who's approaching 4 years playing this game, I should be able to complete all the nodes above that. At present, that shall not be possible with a 7 cover Dazzler. 

Have you gotten the Dazzler cover from SHIELD Simulator yet? There is a progression cover coming up this weekend in Meet Rocket and Groot too, so that's two covers for Dazzler that are relatively easy to get. You need 10 covers to level a fourstar to 209 (9 if it's a 5/4/0 build), so if you haven't gotten the Simulator cover you are really just one cover away if you put your mind to it. And she is awarded as a placement Award in The Hunt too...
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards

I remembered that after vaulting ended people complained like they are now and they were like our bad, we won't do that anymore.  But they are constantly changing the rules of everything and rarely telling us so I can't say I'm surprised...
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    DAZ0273 said:
    You mean the far superior event they've only ran like once while the SHIELD training which there's always someone complaining about runs consistently.  Go figure...
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    I was despairing a bit about my unbalanced 0/5/4 Dazzler, but I guess on the bright side it means I can complete SHIELD Training with only nine covers.