Combined Arms is FUN!

2»

Comments

• broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Combined arms is probably my least favorite PvP.  I only managed about 32 wins and didn't even get the 4* due to the slog of not being able to use my 5*s.  This really needs an overhaul if it's to continue IMO.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ragfinity for the win, for me. Not quite as good with 2* Magneto instead of Iron Man, but still decent, and tears a lot of gimmick teams apart.
  • Ylva
    Ylva Posts: 5 Just Dropped In
    As someone jussttttt starting to champ my first handful of 3*s, this has been a real nightmare.  I barely have 2 usable 4*s and while I managed my 75 wins it has been a painful, health pack sink hole of a slog.  Wouldn't mind the 1/2/3 or 3/4/5 option instead, the 2/3/4 middle ground is exactly the wrong place for me at the moment sadly.  Probably great for the vets with lots of 4* options though!
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ylva said:
    As someone jussttttt starting to champ my first handful of 3*s, this has been a real nightmare.  I barely have 2 usable 4*s and while I managed my 75 wins it has been a painful, health pack sink hole of a slog.  Wouldn't mind the 1/2/3 or 3/4/5 option instead, the 2/3/4 middle ground is exactly the wrong place for me at the moment sadly.  Probably great for the vets with lots of 4* options though!
    Yeah, it's a bit exclusive, which is why they only run it on off seasons. Wow, 75 wins. That's dedication right there. It hit my 40 and peace out ;)
  • Ylva
    Ylva Posts: 5 Just Dropped In
    Ylva said:
    Yeah, it's a bit exclusive, which is why they only run it on off seasons. Wow, 75 wins. That's dedication right there. It hit my 40 and peace out ;)
    Been home sick with the flu for a week and a half :(  I've got way too much free time on my hands; otherwise would have peaced out way earlier.
  • jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2018
    broll said:
    Combined arms is probably my least favorite PvP.  I only managed about 32 wins and didn't even get the 4* due to the slog of not being able to use my 5*s.  This really needs an overhaul if it's to continue IMO.
    Can you explain what you don't like about it and what you think needs to be changed?

I clearly disagree with your opinion (evidenced by my thread title and such), but I'm interested in what you would do to adjust/improve things?
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    jackstar0 said:
    broll said:
    Can you explain what you don't like about it and what you think needs to be changed?

I clearly disagree with your opinion (evidenced by my thread title and such), but I'm interested in what you would do to adjust/improve things?
    My ideas can already be found in this thread:
    https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/75705/improving-combined-arms

Things I don't like:
    1.  Inability to use the 5*s I worked and scraped to get.
    2.  Being forced to bring along dead weight 2*s that are a liability.

The novelty is kinda fun for the first match or two, but making PvP more tedious is not a good thing IMO.
  • skittledaddy
    skittledaddy Posts: 968 Critical Contributor
    I joined Combined Arms last night with ~10 hrs to before the event ended. I had no intentions to play, instead just to join to get free rewards. Sometimes that all I do with PvP.
    Well little did I know the slice I picked must have JUST flipped, because when I entered my rank was #2. Well, I couldn't pass that opportunity up, I pushed to ~730 points before I had to get to bed. Thought about dropping a shield, but opted not to. Went to bed at #4 woke up at #26. Nice rewards haul (progression and placement) for only 13 wins' worth of work.

My PvE paid the price a little, since I didn't do my opening clears until mid-morning today. Oh well, I'll make it up elsewhere.

P.S. Glad I didn't shield. It would have only gotten me to rank #21.
  • Neuromancer
    Neuromancer Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
    edited October 2018
    I enjoy the change-up of Combined Arms, and the nod toward varying your roster. They need more of it, but it's odd to me that they concentrate on a single event type in each of the two categories (Story & Versus) at a time.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,894 Chairperson of the Boards
    I normally play for points and shield but I had so much fun this event I opted for 75 wins instead. Best PVP ever. Here’s just some of the teams I played!

4* Peggy Carter, 3* Iron Man, 2* Magneto- Iron Man/Mags provide a red/blue battery for Peggy while she suppresses AP. Play Riri instead for an additional green outlet or Taskmaster for a black outlet.  Cyclops/Thor are also viable.

4* Red Hulk, 3* Scarlet Witch, 2* Hawkeye: Switch creates purple bombs to fuel Red Hulk’s siphon and hopefully match 5s for speed shot.  Though I didn’t play him, Main Event Hulk would work in place of his Red counterpart as well.  Saw quite a few playing this combo.

4* Captain Marvel, 3* Iron Fist, 2* Hawkeye: This one is pretty simple. Iron Fist fuels  Carol’s black with his purple. If he happens to cause a match 5, his attack tile gets out of hand thanks to speed shot plus Carol’s passive.

4* Nico Minoru, 3* Daken, 2* Bullseye: This team was crazy good, very sustainable, and probably my favorite team I stumbled upon. It’s really simple.  Collect green/purple to spam protects and strikes that Nico buffs to high heavens. Two true healers stay topped off and the passive damage allows them to bypass AP to take out Peggy teams and destroy the squishy America/Hood/OBW quickly.

4* Gamora, 3* Iron Fist, 2* Bullseye: Probably my second favorite team I played. Bullseye collects purple (spamming the board with protects), Danny fires his purple to fuel black and Gamora covers whatever purple is left for deadliest strikes.

4* Rocket & Groot, 3* Gamora, 2* Black Widow: This is just your straightforward random GOTG boosts Grocket’s strikes team. OBW allows for the occasional double dip. Could add 2* Torch instead for attack tiles or 3* Star-Lord as well.

4* America Chavez, 3* The Hood, 2* Black Widow: I saw this team a lot. Man is it squishy as hell and easy to beat. The idea of course is Hood/OBW fuel AP for Chavez to do Chavez things and passive the enemy to death. Great on offense!

4* Wasp, 3* Sam Wilson, 2* Bullseye: This is a classic team that I believe is in The Big Enchilada. Collect purple, passively spam protects, actively spam protects. Wasp flips to strikes. Win. 

4* Vulture, 3* Dr. Strange, 2* Magneto: Use Vulture to fuel Strange blue (drains enemy AP), Mags red (collects friendly AP) and his own green (kills the enemy team).