Improving Combined Arms

JSP869
JSP869 Posts: 820 Critical Contributor
For Combined Arms we have to select one 2-star, one 3-star, and one 4-star character. The character positions are already predetermined but in the completely wrong way. Why would you force our 2-star into the main tank position and not even have the 4-star in the off tank position?! That's just ludicrous! The 2-star should be to the right, and the 4-star should be front & center.

When attempting to select a particular character, such as a 4-star, they will not automatically fill the 4-star spot IF the "wrong" spot is selected. If I've selected the 3-star spot and I tap 4-star Gamora, she will not be selected to the 4-star spot. This makes no sense. If I've tapped on 4-star Gamora I clearly want her on my team, so the game should just replace my currently selected 4-star with Gamora.

What's interesting is that another one of the features I would like to see implemented is actually already in there, it just works in the wrong way.

Let's say I have 4-star Gamora selected to my team. When I scroll down to the 3-stars and tap 3-star Gamora...my roster jumps back up to the 4-stars and highlights 4-star Gamora in the 4-star spot. I get it. The game is obviously telling me that I cannot select 3-star Gamora without first replacing 4-star Gamora. But...

if the game can automatically move our roster to our 4-stars when we try to select a 4-star variant of a character that's already been selected to the 3-star spot (as above), then when we tap the 3-star spot or the 2-star spot our roster should automatically jump to our 3-stars, or our 2-stars.

We should not have to scroll all the way through our roster for this. I have 183 characters in my roster. I know others have even more but that's 73 4-stars we have to scroll through to get down to the 3-stars, then another 63 3-stars (for me) to scroll through to get to my 2-stars. Yes, I know there's only 47 3-stars in the game, I have a few dupes in my 3-star farm.

TLDR

1) Move the 4-star spot to the front/main tank position, and move the 2-star spot to the back/right.

2) Tapping on a 4-star character should add them to the 4-star spot even if the 4-star spot is not selected.

3) Tapping the character currently in the 3-star spot, or the 2-star spot, or the 4-star spot, should automatically move my roster to my 3-stars, or my 2-stars, or my 4-stars.

Comments

• broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    I agree with all the OPs suggestions.

The improvement I'd like to see in Combined arms is have the requirements be different per SCL.

SCL 1-3 = 1* 2* 3*
    SCL 4-6 = 2* 3* 4*
    SCL 7-9 = 3* 4* 5*

Now that 5*s are required in SCLs 7-9 PvE I would think this would be a logical change if they are able to do it at a technical level.  Problem would probably be the fact that anyone can play anyone in PvE and you wouldn't want a 1* 2* 3* team vs a 3* 4* 5* team.  Still I would love to see this improvement.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't have a problem with the tier positioning in the character select screen (center/left/right). The only time that matters is in a tie, and when you're talking about the match damage difference between tiers a tie is going to be pretty rare. If you need a 4-star to tank he/she is going to tank over the others regardless of position.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dormammu said:
    I don't have a problem with the tier positioning in the character select screen (center/left/right). The only time that matters is in a tie, and when you're talking about the match damage difference between tiers a tie is going to be pretty rare. If you need a 4-star to tank he/she is going to tank over the others regardless of position.
    Yeah I was going to say. This will only come up if you have -really- low level 4*s

broll said:
    The improvement I'd like to see in Combined arms is have the requirements be different per SCL.

SCL 1-3 = 1* 2* 3*
    SCL 4-6 = 2* 3* 4*
    SCL 7-9 = 3* 4* 5*

Now that 5*s are required in SCLs 7-9 PvE I would think this would be a logical change if they are able to do it at a technical level.  Problem would probably be the fact that anyone can play anyone in PvE and you wouldn't want a 1* 2* 3* team vs a 3* 4* 5* team.  Still I would love to see this improvement.
    Can't say I agree with this. I'm sure there are a ton of players who do SCL 7 and still don't have a 5* character worth using in PVP. And, like you say, it also wouldn't work currently because your opponents aren't selected from just those playing in the same SCL as you.
  • broll
    Dormammu said:
    It's nit picky, but the center is the character auto-selected and, if you have the roster to play in the event, will be the characters furthest back on the roster screen.  So you have to take an extra click to select the 4* character to change them, when you'd logically want that character in front anyway.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    You're right. That's nit-picky.  ;)
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    broll said:

SCL 1-3 = 1* 2* 3*
    SCL 4-6 = 2* 3* 4*
    SCL 7-9 = 3* 4* 5*

Given how low the Shield Rank is where people start getting locked out of SCL6, I think that at least SCL7 should remain 2*/3*/4*. Otherwise you're forcing a lot of people without effective 5*, and quite possibly without any 5* at all, into that level.
    Also, the need for a filter is even worse when you've got under-leveled or un-leveled characters. Once I get past my champed 4*, I don't get a nice discrete block of champed 3*, I've got a bunch of 4* who I partially leveled for Shield Training or their Crash mixed in. Down at the bottom, my 2* are all mixed up with my un-leveled dupe 3* and relatively new 4* who I haven't put any significant ISO into yet, just took up to maybe 111 or so for the bottom row of Shield Training. It's just a mess to try to figure out which of these are viable options to fill in the third slot in my team sometimes.
  • JSP869
    Slightly off-topic but I do like the suggestion of a more challenging (perhaps) Combined Arms using 3/4/5 instead of 2/3/4, likewise, I think there should also be a 1/2/3 for the newer players with less developed rosters.

Perhaps Combined Arms' lowest CL should be 1/2/3 (if it's not already), but instead of CL9 being for 3/4/5* teams, there could be a CL9+ for that, as opposed to a CL10 which could lead people into thinking CL10 is finally here.
  • JSP869
    And annoyingly, I ran into the issue last night where I decided I wanted to use 4-star Gamora, so I scrolled my roster all the way back up to find her (because I'd just selected my 2-star) but when I tapped on her the game didn't select her but just moved my roster all the way back down to the 3-stars, specifically to 3-star Gamora who was already on my team.

Yes, that was my fault for not selecting my 3-star character before attempting to select 4-star Gamora, but gosh darn* it, MPQ! If I want 4-star Gamora on my team, put her on my darn team and just replace 3-star Gamora with someone else. Pick anyone! I don't care who you pick. I'm probably going to replace them anyway. Add 4-star Gamora to my team like I'm telling you to do, replace 3-star Gamora with any other random 3, and then scroll my roster back down to my 3-stars.

* Because those tiny kitties censor anything stronger.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    JSP869 said:
    Slightly off-topic but I do like the suggestion of a more challenging (perhaps) Combined Arms using 3/4/5 instead of 2/3/4, likewise, I think there should also be a 1/2/3 for the newer players with less developed rosters.

Presumably how this would go is 3*/4*/Okoye
  • JSP869
    JSP869 said:

Presumably how this would go is 3*/4*/Okoye
    Or 3*/4*/Thor

I'd be using my Champion Okoye, but that's because my Thor is woefully undercovered :(
  • broll
    edited October 2018
    broll said:

SCL 1-3 = 1* 2* 3*
    SCL 4-6 = 2* 3* 4*
    SCL 7-9 = 3* 4* 5*

Given how low the Shield Rank is where people start getting locked out of SCL6, I think that at least SCL7 should remain 2*/3*/4*. Otherwise you're forcing a lot of people without effective 5*, and quite possibly without any 5* at all, into that level.
    Also, the need for a filter is even worse when you've got under-leveled or un-leveled characters. Once I get past my champed 4*, I don't get a nice discrete block of champed 3*, I've got a bunch of 4* who I partially leveled for Shield Training or their Crash mixed in. Down at the bottom, my 2* are all mixed up with my un-leveled dupe 3* and relatively new 4* who I haven't put any significant ISO into yet, just took up to maybe 111 or so for the bottom row of Shield Training. It's just a mess to try to figure out which of these are viable options to fill in the third slot in my team sometimes.
    I picked 7 due to SCL 7 being the first PvE to require a 5* also.  I agree the SRs to get into them are way too low, the devs really messed that up IMO.  Also I thought only having 2 SCLs in the 3*4*5* pool might make it too difficult to find matches (people could also always choose to SCL 6 instead if they didn't have a 5* or didn't want that option).  However that said I wouldn't be apposed to:
    SCL 1-3 = 1* 2* 3*
    SCL 4-7 = 2* 3* 4*
    SCL 8-10 = 3* 4* 5* (assuming 10 ever comes out...)
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    broll said:
    broll said:

SCL 1-3 = 1* 2* 3*
    SCL 4-6 = 2* 3* 4*
    SCL 7-9 = 3* 4* 5*

I picked 7 due to SCL 7 being the first PvE to require a 5* also.  I agree the SRs to get into them are way too low, the devs really messed that up IMO.  Also I thought only having 2 SCLs in the 3*4*5* pool might make it too difficult to find matches (people could also always choose to SCL 6 instead if they didn't have a 5* or didn't want that option).  However that said I wouldn't be apposed to:
    SCL 1-3 = 1* 2* 3*
    SCL 4-7 = 2* 3* 4*
    SCL 8-10 = 3* 4* 5* (assuming 10 ever comes out...)
    SCL7 would have been a good place to put that break point if there wasn't that restriction on people past, I can't remember, but I think it's like SR57 or something not being able to join below SCL7 in PvP. That would leave a lot of people caught in a pretty awkward place there.