What if MPQ introduced "DEBUFFS" to the game?

Options
marvel075
marvel075 Posts: 123 Tile Toppler
What if "Debuffs" were added to spice up the game? I made a list that could add more diversity to the game, tell me what you think!

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1uiV8LilAyUWuid0fH1T9CH1-PEbmClRNxR0tD267QZM/edit#slide=id.p /
Tagged:

Comments

• sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2018
    Options
    More abilities are always a good thing, if only to add some more strategy to the game.  Depending on your definition of "debuff" we've already got some in the game.  Cloak and Dagger already does this with their Black when it's active.  You could call protect tiles a passive debuff, since they reduce the damage that the enemy team does for everything.
  • marvel075
    Options
    More abilities are always a good thing, if only to add some more strategy to the game.  Depending on your definition of "debuff" we've already got some in the game.  Cloak and Dagger already does this with their Black when it's active.  You could call protect tiles a passive debuff, since they reduce the damage that the enemy team does for everything.
    My "Debuffs" can expand towards new skills like having certain characters being immune to them, causing them on all enemies, etc. Also bringing about new ways to counter them as well.
  • DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,368 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Your document is not set to 'public'.
  • marvel075
    Options
    DeNappa said:
    Your document is not set to 'public'.
    not sure what you mean.
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    They basically have these effects in game through the existing mechanics though. I am not sure if you are thinking of adding these in place of teamups or supports or how you propose they should implement it. 

It seems like everything you are suggesting already has the ability to be in game through teamups, supports, character abilities, or in an event called fight for wakanda.
  • marvel075
    Options
    FYI i also made a section where these debuffs apply to "CAPCOM PUZZLE QUEST", another section i did if you want to check it out.

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1_Cgon_xai6BpI1VIOUQ_E2lvmdgtWdNABCpYbu_nBM0/edit#slide=id.g3c18b215e1_0_20
  • tiomono
    Options
    I have not heard of "capcom puzzle quest". Does it have a different name, or does it not exist?
  • marvel075
    Options
    tiomono said:
    I have not heard of "capcom puzzle quest". Does it have a different name, or does it not exist?
    Lol it's something that "I" did in my spare time, it's a "what if capcom had their own puzzle game" thing that i did.
  • marvel075
    Options
    tiomono said:
    They basically have these effects in game through the existing mechanics though. I am not sure if you are thinking of adding these in place of teamups or supports or how you propose they should implement it. 

It seems like everything you are suggesting already has the ability to be in game through teamups, supports, character abilities, or in an event called fight for wakanda.
    Um they don't have bleeding, poison, electric shock, plague, super special tiles, guard tiles, or radiation effects in the game, like i said these would be new mechanics and allow characters to benefit from them in the future.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    marvel075 said:
    tiomono said:

Um they don't have bleeding, poison, electric shock, plague, super special tiles, guard tiles, or radiation effects in the game, like i said these would be new mechanics and allow characters to benefit from them in the future.
    Well, they do sort of have those effects, in the form of Attack tiles and some of the repeater tiles and countdown tiles. I'd imagine they've been implemented that way to make them more interactive, and also to reduce the amount of UI complexity.  
  • tiomono
    Options
    marvel075 said:
    tiomono said:

Bleeding and poison I see similar to 4* gamoras red. She hits you then you have a small damage tick for the next few turns. Electric shock sounds like 2* storm stun. Guard tiles sound like protects. Plague is court death or apocalypse. I'm just saying it seems like they could easily introduce all these ideas, or already have, through already existing mechanics or just putting the appropriate description on a characters ability. 

Are you suggesting these as a support type thing or just special tiles on the board that you destroy to apply the affects. 
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    tiomono said:
    marvel075 said:
    tiomono said:

Bleeding and poison I see similar to 4* gamoras red. She hits you then you have a small damage tick for the next few turns. Electric shock sounds like 2* storm stun. Guard tiles sound like protects. Plague is court death or apocalypse. I'm just saying it seems like they could easily introduce all these ideas, or already have, through already existing mechanics or just putting the appropriate description on a characters ability. 

Are you suggesting these as a support type thing or just special tiles on the board that you destroy to apply the affects. 
    I believe he's implying that they would be a status like stunned or invisible or airborne. A character has one, and it affects the character in a certain way for a certain duration.
  • marvel075
    Options
    tiomono said:
    marvel075 said:
    tiomono said:

I believe he's implying that they would be a status like stunned or invisible or airborne. A character has one, and it affects the character in a certain way for a certain duration.
    Exactly! Like bleeding will show the character overlapped in red and would last  couple of turns and would act as a status effect, same as implementing mind control,which allows enemy attacks and match damage to hit a random ally of theirs instead of you.This would be great for emma frost, which would make her a WAY better character!
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    marvel075 said:
    tiomono said:
    marvel075 said:
    tiomono said:

Exactly! Like bleeding will show the character overlapped in red and would last  couple of turns and would act as a status effect, same as implementing mind control,which allows enemy attacks and match damage to hit a random ally of theirs instead of you.This would be great for emma frost, which would make her a WAY better character!
    I believe the earlier point was that a “bleed” effect can easily be approximated with existing mechanics (3* Elektra’s & 4* Gamora’s red do so, in fact).

Creating new status effects like you describe would either only be practically implemented for new characters (similar to how charge tiles aren’t created by any characters older than 4* Thor, assuming 3* Rag’s rework for his third power counts as a “new” character), which potentially exasperates power creep and alienates long-term players, or would require extensive reworks of existing characters, which generates a TON of work for little potential revenue for the design team (as well as extreme balance issues without extensive play-testing).  Both are losing propositions, so while you’re idea has a lot of merit, I can’t see large scale additions of status effects going into the game after 5 years unless they are looking to roll out MPQ 2.0.  I guess it’s possible they could introduce them as new support effects, but I could also see that being unpopular.

just my $0.02
  • marvel075
    Options
    ZootSax said:
    marvel075 said:
    tiomono said:
    marvel075 said:
    tiomono said:

I believe the earlier point was that a “bleed” effect can easily be approximated with existing mechanics (3* Elektra’s & 4* Gamora’s red do so, in fact).

Creating new status effects like you describe would either only be practically implemented for new characters (similar to how charge tiles aren’t created by any characters older than 4* Thor, assuming 3* Rag’s rework for his third power counts as a “new” character), which potentially exasperates power creep and alienates long-term players, or would require extensive reworks of existing characters, which generates a TON of work for little potential revenue for the design team (as well as extreme balance issues without extensive play-testing).  Both are losing propositions, so while you’re idea has a lot of merit, I can’t see large scale additions of status effects going into the game after 5 years unless they are looking to roll out MPQ 2.0.  I guess it’s possible they could introduce them as new support effects, but I could also see that being unpopular.

just my $0.02
    I understand what you're saying, it would cause some getting used to.