Relaxed.... (more anniversary talk)

Twomp_thaDJ
Twomp_thaDJ Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
edited October 2018 in MPQ General Discussion
So with the Raid over it helped me come to the conclusion that the game can actually be a GAME and not at chore. Im sure there are others who wont feel the same as I do. But gosh darn it, not having to rush to play at a specific time and not to have to do it at lightning blazing fast speed. *Let you in on a little secret, I even been playing with animations on all weekend :o * again I'm sure some people will say that its boring that way.. but why not compromise Monday thru Thursday run events on the same type of schedule that exists now. But on the weekends why not just let the PvE be without a time limit, boost the rewards slightly and not have to worry about speed racing and being stuck to a schedule just to enjoy the game.

I guess D3 has been semi compromising with Boss events because they kinda run where you only have to play every 8 hours, and I am grateful for that. but this event was very relaxing and refreshing to say the least, and before folks get to complaining my Alliance ranked #44 overall and was able to get 7 LTs. (1st day we guessed at what nodes to do so we missed out on one) So we didnt slack at all even with it being at 24 resets.

anywho.. just my two cents. feel free to add or discredit what you will. maybe this thread will lead to D3 changing some things B)

PS: back to the grind Animations are turned off again :'(

Comments

• BigSoftieFF
    BigSoftieFF Posts: 454 Mover and Shaker
    Agreed on all points. It was refreshing and fun to play around with different teams without worrying about clear times.

Its also amusing to me that someone else turned the animations back on for the event.

As you said at the end, animations are back off and speed is the name of the game again.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    I totally agree with the hybrid schedule of timed pve on Monday through Thursday and a more relaxed non speed grind on the weekends. The game was much more enjoyable this past weekend to play whenever you wanted during the 24 hour period.
    If we were to do a hybrid schedule I'd actually prefer it reversed.  With the existing time slots I can't fit into them on weekdays but can on weekends. 

I'd rather it all go to timerless across the board though.
  • JackTenrec
    JackTenrec Posts: 808 Critical Contributor
    I recognize that it isn't for everyone, but it is possible to choose to play every story event like this if you are so inclined - you just do 4X clears of everything (assuming SCL7+ and you have the 5e) before the 24 or 48 hour reset is up and don't worry about your final grind. 
    I do something vaguely similar, do 4x clears (sometime), do a final grind, but don't bother immediately doing the 4x clears right after (I might do the 4E if it's not locked).  I usually play SCL7 to reduce the time sinkiness and don't think 4 clears of the 5E is enough to hit progression.  Usually this is enough to place in the sub to get a HP reward.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,913 Chairperson of the Boards
    I recognize that it isn't for everyone, but it is possible to choose to play every story event like this if you are so inclined - you just do 4X clears of everything (assuming SCL7+ and you have the 5e) before the 24 or 48 hour reset is up and don't worry about your final grind. I've been doing it for months now in SCL8. It slows down your rate of hp-gain some compared to placing in subs every day, but you can easily keep up with new releases. Sometimes you have to make your own quality of life decisions...
    THIS! There is nothing stopping someone from playing casually. PVE is actually my favorite mode and I hope they don’t change it. Places of Power was fine as a one off but I’d find it boring without the competitive aspect just like DDQ. It’s just something to get through. But for those wanting a more relaxed pace simply play a more relaxed pace. If you are doing full clears non-optimally like you probably did in places of power you likely still place top 50-100. 
  • abmoraz
    abmoraz Posts: 712 Critical Contributor
    broll said:
    I totally agree with the hybrid schedule of timed pve on Monday through Thursday and a more relaxed non speed grind on the weekends. The game was much more enjoyable this past weekend to play whenever you wanted during the 24 hour period.
    If we were to do a hybrid schedule I'd actually prefer it reversed.  With the existing time slots I can't fit into them on weekdays but can on weekends. 

I'd rather it all go to timerless across the board though.
    I've been begging for the last few years (basically since the Season schedule came into existence) for a Boss/Alliance event to be during the week instead of the Thursday @noon until Sunday at Midnight schedule which they are all run at.  75% of my alliance is basically unavailable from Friday afternoon until Sunday evening.  We're all IRL friends and most work in the bar/restaurant industry, so fri/sat/sun is their "we work close on Friday, double on Saturday, and open Sunday.  It's not unusual for most of them to put in 40hrs over those 3 days.  That being what it is, we almost NEVER reach any of the upper alliance progression rewards because most of us just can't play those days.
  • Twomp_thaDJ
    Twomp_thaDJ Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    I recognize that it isn't for everyone, but it is possible to choose to play every story event like this if you are so inclined - you just do 4X clears of everything (assuming SCL7+ and you have the 5e) before the 24 or 48 hour reset is up and don't worry about your final grind. I've been doing it for months now in SCL8. It slows down your rate of hp-gain some compared to placing in subs every day, but you can easily keep up with new releases. Sometimes you have to make your own quality of life decisions...
    THIS! There is nothing stopping someone from playing casually. PVE is actually my favorite mode and I hope they don’t change it. Places of Power was fine as a one off but I’d find it boring without the competitive aspect just like DDQ. It’s just something to get through. But for those wanting a more relaxed pace simply play a more relaxed pace. If you are doing full clears non-optimally like you probably did in places of power you likely still place top 50-100. 
    I normally shoot for t10 in SCL7 but I may see how this works out for HOD since im not really a fan of this PvE event. But just for the record yes I do know that I can play this way, however the game is set up to be competitive where there really isnt any need. So in order to get those higher rewards I have to grind it out. I do understand what yall are saying tho.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,156 Chairperson of the Boards
    ...So in order to get those higher rewards I have to grind it out. ...

My advice is really to make peace with not getting those higher rewards if you're finding that it's too much work or a chore. I used to play SCL7 to place t50-100, but then I moved up to SCL8 and settled in to max-progression instead. I only try and place on character release events now - usually by dropping back to SCL7. I usually pick the 11pm end time, and grind it while I'm watching TV or something. Then I'll poke at PVP on the elevator or whatever across the days. It spaces it out, I get to pull legendary a decent number of times across the week for roster growth, and I earn enough to keep pace with the content as it comes out. I'm not a 5* player though, so that may be part of why I don't mind coasting like this.
  • David
    David Posts: 9 Just Dropped In
    Was it just me, or did other people do the clears in around 1 hour 30mins (even on deadly) and then had nothing to play until the next day....
  • spidyjedi84
    spidyjedi84 Posts: 514 Critical Contributor
    David said:
    Was it just me, or did other people do the clears in around 1 hour 30mins (even on deadly) and then had nothing to play until the next day....
    I was at an hour, period, mainly because using a powered up Thanos on all nodes was an instant killer to the enemy team. I know it was roughly an hour because I recharged at least a health pack, and it was always the debate at the last wave node if you wanted to use the two remaining health packs or just swap other heroes into the grinder just to power through it all. 
    After my health packs finished recharging in the evening, I headed over to PVP and got as many wins as I could there, with the goal of nabbing the 4-star cover. I did that as well. Will probably finish top 200 in the Anniversary season in PVP, thanks to nabbing 4-star covers in every event offered thus far, as well as climbing to the top of simulator. That fight run in Doctor Strange event only took another hour and a half to complete, thanks to who was boosted this event. Keep America's colors above the other teams to start, and most matches went fewer than five rounds.
  • maguirenumber6
    maguirenumber6 Posts: 457 Mover and Shaker
    I enjoyed Places of Power. It was something different, and although my alliance didn't co-ordinate that well (some of our members don't ever talk, even though I set up a dedicated Discord for us), we still got a good amount of iso, HP and Anniversary tokens. There was no pressure to clear everything ASAP as there is with normal PvE. I hope it becomes part of the normal event rotation, as it was nice to see a different type of event in-game.

PS @Brigby Please bring back The Gauntlet  :)
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2018
    David said:
    I did it that way, but I didn't have nothing to play.  It freed me up to have more time to play PvP and/or Spider-Man on PS4.  

Also if you just want to play for playing sake, they didn't lock the nodes after 4 clears.  My guess is you could play those infinitely for fun if you were looking for something else to do.  That was a good move on the devs part IMO.