Training Grounds Standard and Legacy

Options
rafalele
rafalele Posts: 876 Critical Contributor
edited October 2018 in MtGPQ General Discussion
@Brigby @Tombstone @Oktagon_Daiane

Thank you for giving us Standard and Legacy Training grounds both playable at the same time.

This is one of the most wanted feature as in this way we can really train our decks in both manners.

I hope it is not a mistake and that would be like this everyday.

Comments

• ElimGarak
    ElimGarak Posts: 85 Match Maker
    Options
    Second that :-D
  • andrewvanmarle
    andrewvanmarle Posts: 971 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Hear, hear!

• bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I’ve played more in the last 24 hours than the whole week before! Thank you! 
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    Hi Everyone. We're glad that you're enjoying having both Standard and Legacy Training Grounds running at the same time, however I'm afraid this was in fact a happy mistake.

Unfortunately we're still unable to have both events running at the same time moving forward. This is due to the event/server infrastructure still having not reached a level yet where the team is comfortable with having both events run at the same time each day alongside other events.

They are certainly working on it though, as the the team does hope that this can be the case at some point in the future.
  • boopers
    boopers Posts: 175 Tile Toppler
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Brigby said:
    Hi Everyone. We're glad that you're enjoying having both Standard and Legacy Training Grounds running at the same time, however I'm afraid this was in fact a happy mistake.

Unfortunately we're still unable to have both events running at the same time moving forward. This is due to the event/server infrastructure still having not reached a level yet where the team is comfortable with having both events run at the same time each day alongside other events.

They are certainly working on it though, as the the team does hope that this can be the case at some point in the future.
    @brigby

This is doesn’t make much sense to me.  While I think we are all very appreciative of octagon looking out for the server stress (no one wants buggy events), they are currently running AI, TG, TG, and EC (all PvP) events plus OTG. I’ve not noticed any issues at all. 

Maybe the team team could try to keep doing this dual TG during times when there is no active coalition events (mid-week) as a compromise and to gather performance data? I don’t seem to recall nearly as many server issues during non-coalition events. 

Maybe an idea to float with them... just try it.  If it breaks something, go back to the conservative plan till further notice. We’ll understand. 
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    edited October 2018
    Options
    boopers said:
    Brigby said:

This is doesn’t make much sense to me.  While I think we are all very appreciative of octagon looking out for the server stress (no one wants buggy events), they are currently running AI, TG, TG, and EC (all PvP) events plus OTG. I’ve not noticed any issues at all. 

Maybe the team team could try to keep doing this dual TG during times when there is no active coalition events (mid-week) as a compromise and to gather performance data? I don’t seem to recall nearly as many server issues during non-coalition events. 

Maybe an idea to float with them... just try it.  If it breaks something, go back to the conservative plan till further notice. We’ll understand. 
    I'm not a developer, so take this with a grain of salt, but my speculation is that running two Training Grounds on the current infrastructure, it's not a matter of if there will be server issues, but rather when there will be server issues. This might especially be exacerbatedwhen coalition events are being run at the same time.

Having said that though, I'll be sure to pass the "stress test" idea along to them for their review.
  • Theros
    Theros Posts: 490 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I second that
  • fiirst
    fiirst Posts: 438 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    i love happy mistake. please ignore to fix it.
  • Gideon
    Gideon Posts: 340 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    This happy mistake happens quite often and there is never any issues. Could you please tell them there is nothing to worry about. This sounds like it’s an excuse to not give us 15 additional crystals a day.
  • Firinmahlazer
    Firinmahlazer Posts: 417 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Gideon said:
    This happy mistake happens quite often and there is never any issues. Could you please tell them there is nothing to worry about. This sounds like it’s an excuse to not give us 15 additional crystals a day.
    It sounds to me like you don't actually care about "testing your decks" and really just want the rewards that TG gives. And I'd be willing to bet that's why most people beg for 2 TG.
  • Szamsziel
    Szamsziel Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I disagree. When I get new card/planeswalker from crafting, happy pull or simply buying I want to test it. This is what tg is for - I want to see how it behave in different meta's. True, if I have nothing new I just play for runes ;). As so I'd love to have both tg even if the reward from second one is reduced 
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I want the extra TG every day because sometimes I make Standard Decks and sometimes I make Legacy decks (depends on my mood and what I pull).

I want to have somewhere to play either of them every day.  Sure, the extra rewards are nice.  And on days I don't have a new deck to toy with I will absolutely just play for the 15 crystals.  But some days you just need something to do, and you don't want to be stuck playing Standard because it happens to be a Tuesday.
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,227 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Gideon said:
    It sounds to me like you don't actually care about "testing your decks" and really just want the rewards that TG gives. And I'd be willing to bet that's why most people beg for 2 TG.
    It sounds to me like you're assuming that everyone's lying about why they want multiple Training Grounds despite the lengthy, and frequent, history of the request.

Please don't underestimate the frustration of people who want to test Standard decks and are forced to do so in either the Legacy TG meat grinder, or in the test-skewing AX with its fiddly node effects.

Now that we actually have some relevant Legacy events, this is compounded--leading up to the last Legacy HoD, it was pretty irritating that TotP was the only Legacy testing ground available. That's great if you want to test against Deploy-HUF, Omniscience, or Imminent Doom for a handful of non-refreshing games, but worthless beyond that.

Regardless, if the Powers that Be were actually concerned about 15 additional crystals, they could easily just make a rune-only second TG.

• Firinmahlazer
    Options
    madwren said:
    Gideon said:
    It sounds to me like you're assuming that everyone's lying about why they want multiple Training Grounds despite the lengthy, and frequent, history of the request.

Please don't underestimate the frustration of people who want to test Standard decks and are forced to do so in either the Legacy TG meat grinder, or in the test-skewing AX with its fiddly node effects.

Now that we actually have some relevant Legacy events, this is compounded--leading up to the last Legacy HoD, it was pretty irritating that TotP was the only Legacy testing ground available. That's great if you want to test against Deploy-HUF, Omniscience, or Imminent Doom for a handful of non-refreshing games, but worthless beyond that.

Regardless, if the Powers that Be were actually concerned about 15 additional crystals, they could easily just make a rune-only second TG.

The lengthy and frequent history here is one of complaining and asking for hand outs. So yeah I do assume the request for and additional TG is really just a request for an easy 15 crystals a day. When I play Legacy TG and get bombed by Omniscience, HUF/Deploy, and Koth decks full of fat mythics I feel like I'm making a fair argument. They didn't remove legacy TG. God forbid we might have to wait a day if something is in dire need of "testing". Patience is a virtue. 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Just Dropped In
    edited October 2018
    Options
    madwren said:
    Gideon said:

The lengthy and frequent history here is one of complaining and asking for hand outs. So yeah I do assume the request for and additional TG is really just a request for an easy 15 crystals a day. When I play Legacy TG and get bombed by Omniscience, HUF/Deploy, and Koth decks full of fat mythics I feel like I'm making a fair argument. They didn't remove legacy TG. God forbid we might have to wait a day if something is in dire need of "testing". Patience is a virtue. 

You really shouldnt make assumptions of others... its not very polite. 

So make 1 TG that has a toggle for either legacy or standard OR 1 TG with 2 nodes - one legacy, one standard. Rewards can stay at 4 games (i dont want to play 8)

I would love free stuff but i would rather just have 1 TG so i dont have to play 2 TGs worth of games.  
  • Mburn7
    Options
    madwren said:
    Gideon said:

I'm not sure how Omniloop decks prove your point that people are only in it for the rewards, and the rest of your comment is full of even less sound assertions than that.  The only thing I agree with is that historically people demand more free stuff.  But that doesn't really feel relevant here.

We have asked many times since the idea for Standard TG was floated to just have 1 TG per day that you could toggle between standard and legacy whenever you want.  If it was just about the rewards, why would we ask for that?

And as for waiting an extra day to test a deck, I really don't like that tone (and I am one who usually advocates for patience).  If I just pulled or crafted a new mythic I am excited about, I want to play with it now.  I don't really want to have to wait and then forget all the fun ideas I had for it.  And if there is a legacy event starting today I would really like to be able to test my decks before joining instead of 16 hours after or whatever.  Why should I be punished for wanting to test a deck on a Tuesday instead of a Wednesday?
  • Firinmahlazer
    Options
    Mburn7 said:
    madwren said:
    Gideon said:

I'm not sure how Omniloop decks prove your point that people are only in it for the rewards, and the rest of your comment is full of even less sound assertions than that.  The only thing I agree with is that historically people demand more free stuff.  But that doesn't really feel relevant here.

We have asked many times since the idea for Standard TG was floated to just have 1 TG per day that you could toggle between standard and legacy whenever you want.  If it was just about the rewards, why would we ask for that?

And as for waiting an extra day to test a deck, I really don't like that tone (and I am one who usually advocates for patience).  If I just pulled or crafted a new mythic I am excited about, I want to play with it now.  I don't really want to have to wait and then forget all the fun ideas I had for it.  And if there is a legacy event starting today I would really like to be able to test my decks before joining instead of 16 hours after or whatever.  Why should I be punished for wanting to test a deck on a Tuesday instead of a Wednesday?
    How do Omni loop decks not prove that? Nobody is testing that out. It works. It's fast and easy. Bam. 15 crystals. 

And this thread isn't asking for a toggle switch it's asking for 2 TG to run simultaneously every day. Your problem is viewing not being able to play with your new cards immediately as a punishment. As if the devs are up in their high tower cackling at the players and their misery.  

How about 2 TG a day but 1 gives no crystals or runes? Because it's all for the sake of  "testing"? 
  • Mburn7
    Options
    Mburn7 said:
    madwren said:
    Gideon said:

How do Omni loop decks not prove that? Nobody is testing that out. It works. It's fast and easy. Bam. 15 crystals. 

And this thread isn't asking for a toggle switch it's asking for 2 TG to run simultaneously every day. Your problem is viewing not being able to play with your new cards immediately as a punishment. As if the devs are up in their high tower cackling at the players and their misery.  

How about 2 TG a day but 1 gives no crystals or runes? Because it's all for the sake of  "testing"? 
    If I just got Omniscience I would call that testing.  But I digress.

I (and I feel almost everyone else here) would be perfectly fine with 2 TG where 1 has no progression and just has the 100 runes per win. This post was made because it appeared that Oktagon had listened to our requests and run 2 TG at the same time.  It then turned back into this old debate when it was confirmed that the double TG was erroneous.