Champing JJ.

Steel_Colt
Steel_Colt Posts: 277 Mover and Shaker
edited October 2018 in MPQ General Discussion
So, here's the deal. 
The Fan Favourites Vault gave me quite some JJ covers and now I have 13 covers and 4 saved ones. 
I'm thinking about champing here, because I hear she's good and I'd like to experience playing with a 5* Champ. 

But I'm worried about how it will affect my MMR. I hear champing only one 5* doesn't have a big impact MMR-wise, if your 4* champs can carry their own weight. 

I have 49 4*s champed, with 25 left to champ. 6 of them are at 13 covers with some saved. 

Any advice?

Comments

• broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2018
    I hear champing only one 5* doesn't have a big impact MMR-wise, if your 4* champs can carry their own weight. 
    That's my understanding but I have no first hand knowledge. I champed 2 nearly at the same time when I went up.

JJ is really good.  If it were Wasp or Oc or someone I'd say wait, but she'll be more a help than a hindrance I think.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Jessica is one of those fivestars that's very annoying to fight in PvP - no matter what happens she is almost guaranteed to trigger at least some of her traps and deal a lot of damage. So you could definitely do worse as your first fivestar. If you are curious, I say go for it. Be prepared to play Jessica a lot though, and make sure you have lots of Health packs handy - fivestars take forever to get back to full Health (well over a day).
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    But I'm worried about how it will affect my MMR. I hear champing only one 5* doesn't have a big impact MMR-wise, if your 4* champs can carry their own weight. 
    It will definitely change your MMR. You're going to start seeing the same - other teams with a single champed 5-star and two 4-stars, or a 4-star and a high level unchamped 5-star, as companions.

Gone will be the endless Grocket/Gamora/Medusa teams in the sim and you'll feel locked into using JJ in every PvP fight. That may not be a bad thing, because there are a lot of 4-stars that compliment her very well. You'll either love it or hate it.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    So, here's the deal. 
    The Fan Favourites Vault gave me quite some JJ covers and now I have 13 covers and 4 saved ones. 
    I'm thinking about champing here, because I hear she's good and I'd like to experience playing with a 5* Champ. 

I have 49 4*s champed, with 25 left to champ. 6 of them are at 13 covers with some saved. 

Any advice?
    A lot depends on the level of your 4s.
    Barely champed 4s in the 280s won't change your MMR too much.
    If you're running 4s that are boosted to 400 you might be in for a bit of shock, that could be dual 5s territory.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    It will definitely change your MMR and your gameplay experience all around. Personally I remember getting to 900 in pvp easier before having any champ 5*s, but it might also be because I didn't care about that 4* cover anymore. Single 5* MMR is actually pretty fun imo, because you might face any single 5* champ, and if 2 good 4*s are boosted you can still win without using your 5*. But you will be using your 5* in almost every match in pvp.
    If you haven't leveled your 5* at all, I would try leveling JJ up a little first since those saved covers aren't going anywhere.
  • BatteryHorse
    BatteryHorse Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    When I made the jump with one champed 5 it was much like the others mentioned, you're usually matched against other teams with one champed 5 and a boosted, champed 4.

That was more unpleasant before they nerfed Gambit, since he was a pain all on his own.  Now you'd see more variety.  The biggest drawback is you're stuck using JJ for everything.  Your MMR usually won't let you run two boosted 4's and still be competitive, you'll get attacked constantly.
  • Rockwell75
    Rockwell75 Posts: 268 Mover and Shaker
    She was my first 5 (and my only one for a few  months)-- I never regretted champing her.
  • damongoose
    damongoose Posts: 4 Just Dropped In
    She's fantastic! It will change your MMR somewhat, but if your 4* roster is as good as it sounds you will be fine. 
  • JSP869
    JSP869 Posts: 820 Critical Contributor
    I have Okoye as my sole 5* Champion and will echo everyone else. I use her all the time in PvP, and PvE for that matter, but I don't care because she's so bloody efficient I rarely use health packs and when I do it's often only 1 for her, and nobody else.

I've been hoping for more Jessica covers, I only need 2 more for her, and I think she'd make a great doubles partner on defense with Okoye. Instead I now have Doc Strange at 3/4/5 with 1 cover saved, and IML at 4/4/3. Still, there's a week or so to go for Fan Favorites, so I might still get lucky yet :smiley:
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,191 Chairperson of the Boards
    I know people say having one ain't bad. It is. Until I had 3 fully champed 5s I got the **** kicked out of me by teams who had more than one. 
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Lucky OP, I need one more JJ for my 3/5/4...OML loves me.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,517 Chairperson of the Boards
    I enjoyed the game more with one champed 5* because I saw a huge variety of teams in PvP. It was the most fun I have had playing this game.

That said, my scores are better now that I have three+ champed. PvE is faster, shield jumps are more consistent, and I can top 1200 pretty easily if so inclined. Every bleeping opponent is Thorkoye+, but it is what it is. 
  • STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    edited October 2018
    JJ is my one and only 5* champ (for the next day or so now that my BB is fully covered) and I'll echo what most are saying.
    Your MMR will change. This will take a while to get used to. You'll mainly be seeing 5,4, and featured character or 5, lvl 350-420 5, and featured. But in all honesty, it's not too bad. Especially now that Gambit has been nerfed. I've been able to hit 900 easier and finally hit 10k season mark too.
    You know how right now you get hit by 5* teams? You won't see 4* teams until you climb high enough. So don't expect to wreck too many lower lever rosters after the seed teams.
    You're also going to be hit more. A lot more. The amount of Thor/Okoye teams will be annoying. I've been hit a few times when I had less than 100 pts, but that's probably more due to win-based system. The upside is JJ is kind of a pain of the **** to fight, so you'll have some defensive wins, but they won't give you too many points to make a huge impact.
    PvE will be faster, but JJ won't always be your fastest option. Which can be a good thing to break up the monotony of the grind.

All in all, I don't regret it one bit. If you make the jump, I think you'll be just fine.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    If you've got a good Chavez, now you have a path to a complete JJ, at least.
  • maguirenumber6
    maguirenumber6 Posts: 457 Mover and Shaker
    I'm in a similar position actually. I have JJ fully covered with one saved. At the moment I actually have enough iso to champ her, and have been wondering if I should do so. I have no 5* champs, and have barely put any iso into any of them. I might not get around to champing her any time soon, but I've been told you can level you 5*s to about 320 without it affecting you too much if you have multiple champed 4*s as I do (65). I did want to champ all my 4*s before thinking about 5*s, but they bring out new 4*s all the time so I don't know when I should make the jump.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,894 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm in a similar position actually. I have JJ fully covered with one saved. At the moment I actually have enough iso to champ her, and have been wondering if I should do so. I have no 5* champs, and have barely put any iso into any of them. I might not get around to champing her any time soon, but I've been told you can level you 5*s to about 320 without it affecting you too much if you have multiple champed 4*s as I do (65). I did want to champ all my 4*s before thinking about 5*s, but they bring out new 4*s all the time so I don't know when I should make the jump.
    Might want to check out this thread I made. 

https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/75564/is-it-harder-to-climb-to-900-as-a-5-player-than-as-a-4-player#latest

Some really great information in here from people who have transitioned. Some have had a much worse PVP experience and some much better. Food for thought. 
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,260 Chairperson of the Boards
    The limit for 5*'s is more along 360/375 (depends on how high your boosted 4*'s get).

Which other 5*'s do you have?

I did my transition with only Daredevil for a few months. With one 5* champion, you'll mainly see other teams with one 5* champ and a 4* or another non-champed 5*. If you have a good bench of 4*'s as you do, you shouldnt have trouble at this stage.

It's not that jarring and gives you a taste of what 5* PVP is.

If you do transition fully, I recommend you champ two or three more 5*'s at the same time and choose them carefully. You'll almost strictly see double 5* champ teams from that point on. You can see 4* teams after breaking MMR but not before like 800/900 pts.
  • Steel_Colt
    Steel_Colt Posts: 277 Mover and Shaker
    Man, not even The Royal Family, the 5* Essential node in the last sub of Hearts Of Darkness PVE, arguably the hardest node in the game, stands a chance against JJ and her best friend America Chavez. 
    Lovin' it!
  • JSP869
    JSP869 Posts: 820 Critical Contributor
    Man, not even The Royal Family, the 5* Essential node in the last sub of Hearts Of Darkness PVE, arguably the hardest node in the game, stands a chance against JJ and her best friend America Chavez. 
    Lovin' it!
    I used Okoye and X-Force Deadpool (both Champions, and my go-to PvP team) and SCL9 never seemed so easy...except for events where Okoye herself was boosted :smiley: Even the last 3-wave node just got crushed. It was great!

I also finally pulled my 12th Jessica cover last night from Fan Favorites after completing Doc Strange. I fully covered my second 5* and yet I feel strangely (pun intended ;) underwhelmed. And with America Chavez already at 290+ I'll complete Jessica tomorrow when America becomes her feeder.

With Daredevil at 400 (and 11 covers; I really want to finish him next) I'm already running into duo 5* champion teams so I don't expect a second champion 5* will impact my PvP experience too much. I know Thor is a lot better than DD, but I was very unlucky with Thor and he's only at 0/2/4 :disappointed: