Places of Power, A Success Story?

Eichen
Eichen Posts: 176 Tile Toppler
I'm pretty sure the consensuses is that the new event is a success!  I think most are enjoying it.  I wanted to start a discussion with the positives and I guess negatives too.  So here goes:

Good:
Progression only PVE - Many have been asking for this since... well, the game is 5 years old so I guess about 5 years.  

No Timers - Even though the current timer system is better than the old 8hr refresh there is still scheduling your life around the game instead of enjoying the game when I want to.  Just like life, not having to answer to a clock means more enjoyable. 

No Grind - 4 clears and done.  Thank you!

Bad (with good comes bad; way of life):

Communication - Here we are again.  The key to any good relationship is communication.  Spouse to spouse, friend to friend, employer to employee, Company to customer, whatever type of relationship, communication is SO important and you guys just don't get that for some reason.  (Brigby- I'm not meaning just you, you catch the brunt of everyone's angst but I know you get info from someone else and you guys time it to come out at certain times)  Release info earlier.  Why throw it over the fence last minute.  Put it out there like an advertisement.  Build up some anticipation and get the community involved.  Seriously, why not just tell us not we can't get ever single reward instead of letting people stumble around in the dark overnight and all morning?

Deadly wasn't so deadly for a 5* player.  

But as you can see the game play itself was an overall success.  

Comments

• fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    I gotta say, this event is B-O-R-I-N-G
    Great rewards though
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'd like to see it changed a bit to where each person starts with Normal and then when you completely finish your clears on Normal it unlocks Hard, and then Deadly. And then on Deadly there could be four different boss nodes, in addition to the normal nodes, and each boss gives a legendary as the prize. The boss nodes could have a fun little challenge to them. The other four legendaries would need to be unlocked through alliance progression.

This way there's no confusion of where to send people through chat because everyone has the full length of the event, similar to the gauntlet, to complete each difficulty. 
  • DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,368 Chairperson of the Boards
    Eichen said:
    <snip>
    Communication - Here we are again.  The key to any good relationship is communication.  Spouse to spouse, friend to friend, employer to employee, Company to customer, whatever type of relationship, communication is SO important and you guys just don't get that for some reason. 
    <snip>

On a related note: alliance member to alliance member. AKA, please fix the **** in-game chat. Especially stressful for an alliance like mine that doesn't coordinate on 3rd party communication.
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,698 Chairperson of the Boards
    fmftint said:
    I gotta say, this event is B-O-R-I-N-G
    Great rewards though
    Exactly this, if it wasn't for being off the clock all that's changed is the easy nodes are now also harder. So yeah there's grind 5/6 and if you do it 7 gone but you have more harder nodes you still have to clear 4 times.

I appreciate the extra rewards but they could have just thrown them into a strange sights and I'd have been just as happy. No end boss, no extra puzzle element just a royal pain in the backside to make sure you co-ordinate with almost zero room for error. It looks like one of our comms has been up all night making sure people go to the right node and we are still missing one person each D node.

I bet he's over joyed with this lower pressure off the clock PVE :D

Due to the lack of info we now are scrambling for a merc to get one side done because an alliance member cannot commit, with decent communication about the event this could have been done and sorted a week ago.

So yeah thanks for making a low stress PVE even more stress than a boss event or normal PVE.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,576 Chairperson of the Boards
    Good - It was nice to have Kraven and Goblin in the mix in the Savage Land as a bit of variety.

The deadly nodes levels were fair I thought and less fights was good.

Bad - I think the communication on this was a swing and a miss.

It is just more tedious grind and on a time when Grocket isn't boosted it is going to be an even greater slog. I was really hoping for something different.

I'd be OK with these every now and then instead of yet another Meeting of Rocket & Groot but not in place of Boss Alliance events.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,576 Chairperson of the Boards
    Oh and Nebula was a bit of a low blow for the 4e, she is so new that the vast majority of my alliance don't have her and so we started with a massive disadvantage compounded by the idea that it might be possible to protect all places.

Oh well, live and learn.
  • turbomoose
    turbomoose Posts: 764 Critical Contributor
    Good - lots of rewards compared to usual PVE alliance events , even rosters a month or so old can contribute 

no time specific deadline means you can play anytime you want in 24hrs 

Bad - no communication, even discord had to wait until less than 24 hours before the event started and with the fact that most alliances have members from different time lines around the world, zero chance of successfully being able to plan.

no in game story images , Dr Strange could have been used as a single pick at the very least otherwise it could be anyone asking us to protect places of power 

Misleading information suggesting that we should be trying to protect all 6 places of power, when this clearly isn’t the case . 

No difference in points for harder levels, deadly should get you a higher points total than hard and so on . 

Using a virtually new 4* in game reminds me of the early shield training where unless you were a veteran player you had little or no chance of success 

overall I like the event and appreciate it’s a first run but I hope that if and when they run it again they bring in some changes 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    I wonder if like Sakaar, we'll get a second run of this event pretty quickly so that we can make use of our learned lessons?
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    Honestly,  I thought the deadly were too easy as is.  If your are going to make it 10/10  then at least make the deadly hard enough that only a few alliances can do the progression.

As it stands its too easy for all of the t25 alliances.  I'd be down with making it 9 of 10 but crank it up so that only a few alliances can win the double LTs
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    man...my alliance has trash participation this time. I told the 6-7 of us who are playing in this to just focus on the "hard" node on the right every day so we can at least get something.
  • rixmith
    rixmith Posts: 707 Critical Contributor
    Another thing I like about this is that the next time it is run I can do a different set of nodes. And since my alliance can't do 10/10 I could even jump down and do a Hard node if I wanted something different. So it has a chance to remain fresh for longer than most PVE content.

I also think this format could easily lend itself to playing as villains raiding Hero assets, making it fairly easy to have a very different set of foes, much like Prodigal Sun.
  • skittledaddy
    skittledaddy Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    Good: The fact that I have a 5* Thanos (albeit only 3/0/2). LOTS of fodder in this event.
  • Farmerbink
    Farmerbink Posts: 28 Just Dropped In
    edited October 2018
    First and foremost, I'm really enjoying this event.  That's almost 100% based on not having to do a burn/ramp session, but it's been entertaining for other reasons.  Overall, that's important enough to me to be a major, major win already.

I do, however, have a few comments to add that I haven't seen elsewhere.

1: I feel like there's a serious missed opportunity here.  This is one of very few events in which the players won't be functionally penalized for taking our time and enjoying the storyline/dialogue  ...and there's no dialogue?  I think I understand what it supposed to be taking place, but it would be really nice to have in-game cutscenes or extra nodes to describe the situation.  

2: As an experienced player, the deadly nodes aren't deadly.  As a new player, the hard and deadly nodes are out of reach.  The best rewards are 10/10 deadlies, full stop.  Somewhat tangent to what Aardvarkpepper mentioned above, there's an obvious potential for conflict here.  I think it would be another overall improvement to decrease the number of full clears needed, but pair it with an increase of difficulty.  Maybe as few as 6 players needed, but make them really be good?  Obviously, this is my opinion, and one man's opinion does not make everyone else agree.  Still, my 2c.  

The intended effect of the above is for less-developed rosters to be more free to play in lower difficulties.  As it stands, if you can't hack deadly, you're simply dead weight.  If there was more opportunity for hard/normal nodes to be run, without "costing" you a deadly node, it might really feel cool to be the guys tasked with going and taking out a lesser threat.  At the very least, that's certainly more exciting than being benched from the alliance, because you can't handle the only one that matters.  

Still, overall I think this event is a huge success.  As always, it could be better.  Thanks, devs!
  • WEBGAS
    WEBGAS Posts: 474 Mover and Shaker
    Lack of communication  (as ever) But great event! Me and my alliance are really enjoying this  and I hope this could be The first Step towards a Progression only PVE