Old PvE events in Legacy: Change them up a bit, or don't bother.

Matthew
Matthew Posts: 605 Critical Contributor
For experienced players of the game, it makes the events that we've solved long ago even less of a challenge. You can have some sandboxy type fun with them, of course, sailing through them with broken Legacy combo decks, but is a sandbox like that enough content for one of only two main weekly events? Isn't TG exactly that sandbox?

For new players.. how does the change affect them at all? They don't own Legacy cards. If this is an attempt to make them buy Legacy cards, I think it's a misguided one, because they're always better off buying Standard cards that can be played in both Standard and Legacy events than they are buying Legacy cards which they can only run in events with poor prizes.

Comments

• bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    I was actually thinking about this today -- mostly because the TP9 newer players were really unhappy with FIRF -- how does a newer player get energy objectives in RATC?

If the devs can't come up with an answer that would allow a day 1 player to pass 1.1 in that event with both objectives -- they need to change. 
  • span_argoman
    span_argoman Posts: 751 Critical Contributor
    edited October 2018
    bken1234 said:
    I was actually thinking about this today -- mostly because the TP9 newer players were really unhappy with FIRF -- how does a newer player get energy objectives in RATC?

If the devs can't come up with an answer that would allow a day 1 player to pass 1.1 in that event with both objectives -- they need to change. 
    Aren't the missions in RatC repayable? So the newer players could hit one objective in the first match and the other in the second match, no?
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    bken1234 said:

Aren't the missions in RatC repayable? So the newer players could hit one objective in the first match and the other in the second match, no?
    That isn’t the issue. The issue is it’s an "Energize X gems objective". How is a newer player going to energize anything without KLD / AER PW and cards? 

• Szamsziel
    Szamsziel Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    edited October 2018
    Steal the cards from opponent?  there are cards in standard for that (with uncommon rarity). Also you can easily ignore objective for a time being, play till progression gives you booster and use cards in that booster? 
    BTW I've checked the numbers - winning (simply winning) gives you almost full progression (without only kld rare). 
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    Plus, you'll receive boosters during the event. Even if you had no cards that energize in the beginning, you can beat all nodes. After you have the first booster, you will be able to get that objective. If you take out the set specific objectives, the events will loose more and more of their flavor
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Plus, you'll receive boosters during the event. Even if you had no cards that energize in the beginning, you can beat all nodes. After you have the first booster, you will be able to get that objective. If you take out the set specific objectives, the events will loose more and more of their flavor

This is how I've always thought of the older events. It was DEFINITELY the state I was in playing Terrors and things when I started playing _seriously_, I'd joined the game early but didn't play for ages, wasn't in a coalition, had no resources. When I started playing these events I didn't have the werewolves, but I got then through playing the events themselves, no problem! This is why I object to people want old events to give new cards, sometimes they _need_ to stay tied. (Though maybe looked at still, like FIRF would be good to have very early Kaladesh and Aether Storm boosters with the later rewards being other resources for older players.)
  • Gunmix25
    Gunmix25 Posts: 1,433 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2018
    bken1234 said:
    bken1234 said:

That isn’t the issue. The issue is it’s an "Energize X gems objective". How is a newer player going to energize anything without KLD / AER PW and cards? 

This is especially so when you take into account that Hibernium attached 80% of the energy generators into the mythic and rare pool. What is left in C & UC cannot generate that many gems in that short of time and that is if they even have those cards to begin with.

I started when KLD/AER came out. I was so flustered with the events at the time because I didn't have those key cards that made such objectives accessible.

• Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Gunmix25 said:
    bken1234 said:
    bken1234 said:

This is especially so when you take into account that Hibernium attached 80% of the energy generators into the mythic and rare pool. What is left in C & UC cannot generate that many gems in that short of time and that is if they even have those cards to begin with.

I started when KLD/AER came out. I was so flustered with the events at the time because I didn't have those key cards that made such objectives accessible.

What do you mean?  For 1.1 you only need to energize 5.  That's not hard to do with commons and uncommons, especially since you don't have pressure to get both objectives at once anymore.

If you're talking about Planar Bridge, though, that's a boss-level fight.  It should be incredibly difficult to beat without rares or mythics.
  • fiirst
    fiirst Posts: 438 Mover and Shaker
    edited October 2018
    bken1234 said:
    bken1234 said:

The solution is very easy. Oktagon just give energy card as reward cards for story mode KLD & AER like they did with Murder in M19.

By the way, if new player did not get any energy card in story mode.
    it will be nearly impossible to get those energy objective without purchasing KLD/AER cards & PW either via cash or crystal. (no more KLD/AER in 6hr booster :neutral: please dont bring them back).

As day1 player is bronze player, their reward is so TINYKITTY.
    they can get 1st KLD booster at 30 pts in Ratc. However, i believe it is very difficult to get it and  i dont think they can get 2nd booster at 55 pts. (my alt is still bronze but i never play pve in alt so i cant realize how difficult to get 30 pts. with new account these day)

however, i would rather suggest new player not to FOCUS on legacy stuff. Using too much legacy stuff make they jump to next tier too soon and it will turn their joy into suffer in std PVP event UNLESS we will change mainstream to legacy.
  • IM_CARLOS
    IM_CARLOS Posts: 640 Critical Contributor
    Give player booster at choice would solve some problems. Maybe you can choose from every set but the newest.

Btw. Same for buying booster. They cost nearly the same but not every set is in vault for some reason I don't know. Why not buy booster and choose set after. 
  • Szamsziel
    Szamsziel Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    Most of the bosses can be easily beaten with one uncommon. Guess which? Hint: bosses are lacking of support destroy.