Limited Utility

Dormammu
Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
With the addition of Taskmaster to the pool of 'Limited' characters and the 5th anniversary celebrations, there's been a lot of discussion regarding the point of their existence. I am wondering which, if any, of the limited characters offers you the most utility? Do you ever use any of the limited characters outside of the rare instances they're required?

Limited Utility 103 votes

Devil Dinosaur
2%
NovaFalconBlackWidow70grenadier 3 votes
Howard the Duck
12%
SpoitKolencesinnerjflColognoisseurSymmeTreyLukoilKGBStraycatTPF AlexisPantherfan1973Pyram7marvel075MrEd95 13 votes
Spider-Man (Bag-Man)
0%
robertbah 1 vote
Taskmaster
19%
ExoOnebobby_2613beyonderbubNick441234QubortHobieCat76MelacbbiglerHistamielmarshallThunderKapcrackninjabowla33LordRayneYepyepjameshThaRoadWarriorkk3thessrandomhero1090Afallen1 20 votes
Yelena Belova
4%
ZootSax[Deleted User]gamecat235purplemurPolly_P1 5 votes
None
59%
DormammuafsplatTwystaBearVengerkillercoolxKOBALTxJexmanDartmaster01abmorazpillaroffaith23AkuvilleMrBowersStevO-JLoosiedokiyBlindman13Carnifexxrdvargas1Basepuzzleroptimus2861 61 votes

Comments

• randomhero1090
    randomhero1090 Posts: 396 Mover and Shaker
    Taskmaster
    I actually used Taskmaster in his PVP.  Using Peggy's blue mostly.  Actually saved my butt a couple of times with the stuns.

Since he has such variety with builds, I don't see how he isn't the best utility of this group.
  • Blindman13
    Blindman13 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    None
    Really when you think about it, most people probably only use the characters they have the most levels on, the ones that are boosted that week, and a small handful of others with specific utility. 
    You could easily add another 50 characters to this list, and I would still choose the None option.

Limited characters aren't meant to have great utility; they are meant to be fun, collectors items. If you don;t want them, don't roster them.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2018
    Taskmaster
    As previously mentioned, Taskmaster offers "borrowed utility," as opposed to his own interesting thing he can do, and since he can even do some of the useful things Howard can do, I feel forced to pick him.

The problem with Bag-Man and Yelena are the costs of their powers. they are laughable. What they actually do is pretty useful to a number of teams, but for those kinds of AP costs I'm bringing Main Event instead. In many ways, Main Event is both of those characters rolled up with his tile swapping and crit production, except he can lay out some heavy hitters with powerbomb.

Howard has 3 really interesting powers, but at least mine isn't putting out the numbers yet to make it worth using him on a team. I feel like I'd run Howard in simulator once it get these last 2 covers I need. Also, it's worth noting that Howard has some of my favorite animations in the game.

Devil Dinosaur does nothing interesting, and nothing especially well. I love how doofy the animations are, but there is nothing he's doing on those colors that somebody else isn't doing better.

I would love it if all the Limiteds who could give out champ rewards gave out better champ rewards than a non-limted character does. So far I think only Bagman has that special LT at lvl 144, but Dino and Howard are both giving out basic non-feeder rewards.
  • StevO-J
    StevO-J Posts: 746 Critical Contributor
    None
    When required I use them of course, but outside of that I basically use characters from that week's boosted list. Since limited characters are never boosted in normal PVE or PVP events I never use them. There could be something said for using some synergy moves (cheap moves in combination with Coulson for instance) but most of the time the boosted characters have such a big advantage it is much better to just use them instead.

I never quite undersood why Howard T. Duck isn't an extra boosted character for Webbed Wonder, or Deadpool for DPvsMPQ for that matter. I suppose that only makes too much sense in my own head. 
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,115 Chairperson of the Boards
    Taskmaster
    Limited characters should give out much better champ rewards. Anyway, I can see Taskmaster in a winfinite team with 3*Magneto and Quake. Reduce colors on the board to get awesome cascades. Since Taskmaster black imitates Howard's green it's actually much better since it doesn't eliminate the color you need to fire it. 

So, Mags destroys TU tiles, Taskmaster destroys Green tiles and Quake destroys Purple or Yellow, leaving Red, Blue and Black cascade matches to start all over again. My favorite kind of winfinite.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm not going to vote because I'm in 5* land so I never use *any* of them.

I would have used Howard more had he been boosted, since he's actually pretty good. Devil Dino was good before power creep neutered her. The redesign didn't help.

Taskmaster looks fun! But he'll never be boosted, soooooo...
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Taskmaster
    bbigler said:
    Limited characters should give out much better champ rewards. Anyway, I can see Taskmaster in a winfinite team with 3*Magneto and Quake. Reduce colors on the board to get awesome cascades. Since Taskmaster black imitates Howard's green it's actually much better since it doesn't eliminate the color you need to fire it. 

So, Mags destroys TU tiles, Taskmaster destroys Green tiles and Quake destroys Purple or Yellow, leaving Red, Blue and Black cascade matches to start all over again. My favorite kind of winfinite.
    I was similarly thinking of running him with Nightcrawler and Professor X -> set his blue to Speed Shot, fire off Bamf! to get some crits going, let Prof-X do his match-5 Meltdown, and follow up with those speedshots on blue (rather than Hawkeye putting them on purple)
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    None
    I was reminded today, in his Crash, how annoyingly difficult Howard can be to take down if he goes invisible. And while not elite, his green has the capability of packing a punch; unfortunately it works against itself and keeps green scarce.

But ultimately I'm with @Dragon_Nexus and others in 5-star land now, and none of them see use outside of being required.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Taskmaster
    Luckily Vulture is boosted, who can solve your green problem and your invis problem
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yelena Belova
    I think Yelena's black power is the best black ability in the 1* tier (admittedly faint praise), so I tend to use her frequently in DDQ.  I use Devil Dino & Howard much more than their abilities merit, but not nearly as often as Yelena.  I like Howard's skill set, but he doesn't complement other teams well enough to get more use from me.
  • rdvargas1
    rdvargas1 Posts: 77 Match Maker
    None
    none. they are all trophies.i think that is the point of them. 
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Howard the Duck
    I honestly really like Howard, and I'm looking forward to getting him champed. His purple can be a nightmare to deal with, his blue is really handy at 4-5 covers when it can remove any Special tiles, and his green is mostly just limited by the fact that it relies on both having green AP and having green tiles on the board, similar to the problem with Photon Blast and Wings of Liberty.

Yelena is limited both by the high cost of her abilities and, well, the fact that she's a 1*, but I still keep her black Team-ups when I get them. They're wonderful against C4rol in particular.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,895 Chairperson of the Boards
    It’s between Tasky and Bag-Man. 

As as far as in-game utility, Taskmaster is the best character. The pick a power customization is great and he’d actually be a great first 4* for a transitioner since you can alter his build to match whatever team you’re putting together. Once you start getting matched up against boosted champs (or move into 5* territory) then he loses his utility and rides the bench with the rest. He’s easily the best of the bunch though. 

Ultimately all these characters function as trophies more than anything else, and that is their primary purpose. And to that end, Bag-Man has the most utility as he is the only one to pay out prizes greater than others in his tier (that sweet sweet LT). 

So yeah, depending on how you look at utility (playable character versus resource-granting trophy) my answer is different. 

• Loosie
    Loosie Posts: 397 Mover and Shaker
    None
    Only when they are required. I had Bagman a long time ago and sold him before he went limited because he was useless at the time. 
  • purplemur
    purplemur Posts: 454 Mover and Shaker
    Yelena Belova
    I am up to my 10th yelena on the roster now and play her daily in DPD. Once the Black Widow MCU is released and we get 5* Yelena and they announce a 1:1 conversion rate on covers we'll see who's laughing then!

I adore bagman, and really love his unique set but havn't seen a cover since his PvP

DD is tinykitty garbage, I chased him hard last Anniversary and was like OMG did I just waste like a starks worth of HP for this tinykitty! So many roster slots or HfH I could have had.....biggest MPQ regret so far. 

Howard is really good: shake,removal, stun, Invisibility w passive damage, great color suite. pack a battery and he takes off. With Hawkguy you can to quote maverick "go embarrass myself with Goose", IM40 and Vulture both solve the quack fu dilemma and cmon: Team Avian : vulture /duck/ falcap!

Taskmaster has so much utility! I wish he was more prevalent in the Anniversary, It would be fitting if they could somehow add him to DPvMPQ on day three and gain a cover. Limit your team to just the two of them, or one on one mini crash with Tasky n XFDP? Add him to a new chapter of the prologue with a focus on villains and give players their first 4*? I would just like to see him more

Agree with a previously mentioned idea that Limited Characters should come with a first time free roster slot!
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    Taskmaster
    Provisionally Taskmaster looks most useful, but that assumes I can get enough covers for him.  For his PVP tournament, I was mainly using the loaner version so he wasn't doing much.  I did like that I could configure the loaner to maximise his AP costs so the AI defence team would be less likely to use his powers over the team mates.  I'm not sure how well that worked though.
    And it's always useful to send out my max-champ Bag-Man as a team up.
  • ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    edited October 2018
    None
    im gonna champ taskmaster  because I really liked his comics. 
    i don't care about any other limited chars, those covers are sold immediately.
    utility is about the same - none, across the board. most of the time there is sometime better boosted. 
  • robertbah
    robertbah Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    Spider-Man (Bag-Man)
    Usage: Send bagman tu to alliancemates. 
  • Melac
    Melac Posts: 28 Just Dropped In
    Taskmaster
    Once I level him up: I'm going to use Taskmaster with Vulture, or Iron Battery. I don't know if his numbers match up to the originals, but who cares? A blue version of twin pistols is better than Hood's yellow one just for being so much easier to feed him the AP.

Though, conversely, a black version of sniper rifle on a character without any power that gens a bunch of tiles of that colour is pretty ****.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Melac said:
    Once I level him up: I'm going to use Taskmaster with Vulture, or Iron Battery. I don't know if his numbers match up to the originals, but who cares? A blue version of twin pistols is better than Hood's yellow one just for being so much easier to feed him the AP.

Though, conversely, a black version of sniper rifle on a character without any power that gens a bunch of tiles of that colour is pretty tinykitty.
    The numbers are, generally, the same or better. I guess Quack-Fu does a bit less, although since it doesn’t cost green there could easily be more on the board when you fire it.