Game "reloading" far more often between the mix of ios 12 and patch 2.9

Options
Kinesia
Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
Previously to these two events if I put my phone down and the screen locked (an iphone 6 plus) then I could _usually_ unlock the screen and get back into the game.
If I did anything else at all then the memory use would make ios unload the game in the background and it would be forced to reload, meaning that any game I was in was automatically lost.

This was annoying, but I knew how it worked.

With patch 2.9 I suspect it is using slightly more memory but there's also ios 12 and it might well be a mix of the two, not just one. But I can't know.

New behaviour is, if my screen locks then the game ALWAYS reloads 100% of the time. Since I can't set the auto-lock to longer than 5 minutes (ios won't let me) I either have my screen on all the time, wrecking battery life and security, or I cannot put the game down for even 5 minutes.  With small kids this is impractical and I frequently just automatically lose games now with nothing I can do to stop it.

As more sets are added and more memory is taken up I suspect this problem will get worse and worse over time unless we work out some other way around it...

Like, is there a way to keep the bare minimum memory together to keep the game running? In a game we know there are only the 10 cards from each deck rather than the normal thousands for a start... Can some graphics perhaps be offloaded until needed? I have no idea, just that it's always been a little problem and is now a big one.

Thank you!

Kinesia

Comments

• Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I find the app reloads pretty much every hour on the hour, especially where there are node refreshes in an event.

It even happens while I'm in the middle of making a deck!
  • stikxs
    stikxs Posts: 518 Critical Contributor
    Options
    The refreshing while making a deck has been a lot more often since 2.9 in my experience as well. And before I used to only see it on the hour, now I get them at varying times during the hour.
  • Kinesia
    Options
    They are separate issues, but that ones annoying too!

This is from ios unloading the app because it needs the memory for other things. Other apps do it too, but it's more annoying here because I _liked_ being able to finish games after putting them down to go get coffee!
  • Mark_Tedin
    Mark_Tedin Posts: 167 Tile Toppler
    Options

After 2.9, the game has now restarted several times in the day. This is ruining my battery, my useful time and my patience. Please fix it.
  • nerdstrap
    nerdstrap Posts: 180 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I just got my brand new iPhone XS Max with 4gb of ram and the app still gets unloaded if I tab away... I can’t say it’s the app since every other app restarts too... but this game should be able to resume from server if we are gonna keep faking the PVP experience 
  • Kinesia
    Options
    nerdstrap said:
    I just got my brand new iPhone XS Max with 4gb of ram and the app still gets unloaded if I tab away... I can’t say it’s the app since every other app restarts too... but this game should be able to resume from server if we are gonna keep faking the PVP experience 

My main annoyance is that it happens if even just the lock screen comes up and that's crazy... Yeah, other apps do it too, but nowhere near as often. Most other apps I actually have to _do_ something for it to unload.

I strongly suspect things changed with iOS 12 and things need to be reinvestigated since this particular  area hasn't been looked at for a long time probably.
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Kinesia said:
    nerdstrap said:

My main annoyance is that it happens if even just the lock screen comes up and that's crazy... Yeah, other apps do it too, but nowhere near as often. Most other apps I actually have to _do_ something for it to unload.

I strongly suspect things changed with iOS 12 and things need to be reinvestigated since this particular  area hasn't been looked at for a long time probably.
    The funny thing is that this issue was supposed to have been fixed years ago (literally, it was while Hibernium was still running things)

Either whatever fix they put in doesn't work with newer OS, or this is one of the things that got undone by a newer update (since it seems like every update has to undo the fixes of the previous one)
  • Kinesia
    Options
    Mburn7 said:
    Kinesia said:
    nerdstrap said:

The funny thing is that this issue was supposed to have been fixed years ago (literally, it was while Hibernium was still running things)

Either whatever fix they put in doesn't work with newer OS, or this is one of the things that got undone by a newer update (since it seems like every update has to undo the fixes of the previous one)

I totally believe they used to have it and fixed it a long time ago and it's come back, but for different reasons than other issues.

It's been slowly getting worse for me over time, every update introduces new cards and graphics and graphics are the thing that chews memory up the most. Of any game I have this "probably" uses the most memory while running. 

In this case I'd say 2.9 uses more memory yet again for the new Duel Decks stuff.

But the kicker is that iOS 12 totally changed how memory was recovered to help "instant access" to high priority apps... So I suspect we need some way to label this as "DO NOT UNLOAD THIS WHILE IN GAME" if that's even possible... But there'll be a heap of new memory control tools in iOS 12 that would need looking at...

• Kinesia
    Options
    There WILL be ways to fix this though... Because even though this had reloaded multiple times throughout the day, when I put my wireless headphones in to head home my audio book (Voice Dream) just started back up because it had been labelled as a background app and was STILL loaded after the entire day.

I know that's a problem a bit to do with something so big as this but there need to be "ways"...
  • bumstuff
    bumstuff Posts: 20 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I've noticed this too, and came here to post this. Same deal with me - iOS 12. I'm running an iphone 7 and almost never had this problem before -- I could put the phone down in the middle of a game, forget, go to bed, and finish the game in the morning. If I even lock the phone now it's about 50/50 that the game will restart. If I switch to other apps it's almost 100%.