About time we had a new black/white planeswalker?

Sorkin's a bit underpowered now, time for a replacement ?

Comments

• Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think there's only Kaya as other walker with the same colors.. And if I recall correctly, she was not part of a main set.
    Oktagon is limited in the design of new walkers by what's released by wotc, so it's unlikely we'll see another one soon.
    Sorin still does his job quite well, particularly in pve, the only problem being the critical low health.
  • Buizel
    Buizel Posts: 50 Match Maker
    Kaya will likely have a new card come out in the 2nd new Ravnica set early next year 
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Honestly, give Sorin +10 to health and he's still extremely playable.  I still use him a lot in legacy and he's pretty good, just susceptible to 1 hit KOs
  • DBJones
    DBJones Posts: 803 Critical Contributor
    I made a level 26 Sorin standard deck with Kwende, it's been doing surprisingly well in Training Grounds (standard). Even though he only has 45 max health, there's enough lifelink available that I usually win with full health. Dowsing Dagger and kill spells, along with Legion's Landing gives me amazing ramp for the cost, though the setup takes a bit of luck to outpace most opponents.

However, a new black/white Planeswalker would be fun, as would the other color combos we only have one of, though Bolas covers a couple already. I'd really like to see some non-Bolas 3 color Planeswalkers also, no idea if WotC has any planned though, I don't really pay much attention to paper.
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Buizel said:
    Kaya will likely have a new card come out in the 2nd new Ravnica set early next year 
    I was going to mention her as well. She appears to be on the cover of the new Ravnica novel meaning she very likely will be in the set following Guilds of Ravnica.

Besides Kaya and Sorin, no other white-black planeswalkers exist. So it will be difficult for PQ to make that happen.
  • Tilwin90
    Tilwin90 Posts: 662 Critical Contributor
    It has been confirmed by MaRo that the three upcoming planeswalkers in the next Ravnica set are all "Bolas aligned", and will match the colors of the guilds they will lead. 

Current rumors suggest:
    - Kaya leading Orzhov, as she already appears in some cover art, and we know we are getting planeswalker cards only for Bolas-affiliated guilds. Maybe she just appears in the art without getting an actual planeswalker card though. It would be super super weird to have a WB Liliana though...
    - Dovin, a color-shifted walker (Tezz? though having him UW would be super weird in spite of being from Esper) or a new walker leading Azorius, as according to Assassin's Trophy it will lose its leader (bye bye Isperia)
    - Heavy speculations on the fifth and final guild. My bets here are on Gruul as we've already seen some speculations in some Guilds of Ravnica cards that the Gruul have gone crazier than before (see Citywide Bust, Collar the Culprit)

I admit MTGPQ does need a new WB walker. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.
  • Mburn7
    Tilwin90 said:
    It has been confirmed by MaRo that the three upcoming planeswalkers in the next Ravnica set are all "Bolas aligned", and will match the colors of the guilds they will lead. 

Current rumors suggest:
    - Kaya leading Orzhov, as she already appears in some cover art, and we know we are getting planeswalker cards only for Bolas-affiliated guilds. Maybe she just appears in the art without getting an actual planeswalker card though. It would be super super weird to have a WB Liliana though...
    - Dovin, a color-shifted walker (Tezz? though having him UW would be super weird in spite of being from Esper) or a new walker leading Azorius, as according to Assassin's Trophy it will lose its leader (bye bye Isperia)
    - Heavy speculations on the fifth and final guild. My bets here are on Gruul as we've already seen some speculations in some Guilds of Ravnica cards that the Gruul have gone crazier than before (see Citywide Bust, Collar the Culprit)

I admit MTGPQ does need a new WB walker. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.
    My guess is the 3 Bolas guilds in the next set will be Gruul, Azorius, and Orzhov, since that would give him 2 of each color under his control.

Also, manipulating Domri should be fairly easy, especially since Gruul likes torching stuff anyway.
    I really hope Dovin isn't the Azorius one, more because he seems like a good guy than because he wouldn't fit (since he is actually perfect for Azorius).  I could see it being Consul Tezz 2.0, as weird as that would be.
  • wereotter
    Mburn7 said:
    Tilwin90 said:

Current rumors suggest:

My guess is the 3 Bolas guilds in the next set will be Gruul, Azorius, and Orzhov, since that would give him 2 of each color under his control.

Also, manipulating Domri should be fairly easy, especially since Gruul likes torching stuff anyway.
    I really hope Dovin isn't the Azorius one, more because he seems like a good guy than because he wouldn't fit (since he is actually perfect for Azorius).  I could see it being Consul Tezz 2.0, as weird as that would be.
    Wizards likes to keep things balanced on Ravnica, so I was going to say exactly those same three guilds for that same reason. In fact, as soon as we learned it was the Izzet and Golgari this time, if we're going with color balance, we knew that both the Azorious and Orzhov had to be aligned with Bolas to get two white guilds, which means the 5th guild by default has to be the Gruul, not to mention the Gruul have been disgruntled with their situation on Ravnica for many, many years. They're supposed to take care of the wild and natural parts of that world, however, no such places exist on a world that's entirely covered in city. (Thanks Azor for THAT wonderful plan....) However, we also know that Bolas will lose his grip on at least the Golgari by the end. It wouldn't surprise me of other planeswalkers also backstab him as well. Ral was already feeding some of the secrets to Jace, so if he double crosses Bolas, I wouldn't be surprised.

Dovin seems after what went down on Kaladesh that he's a man with little left to lose, and if Bolas offered him a fresh start on a new world in a position of political power heading the law making faction, I think Dovin would jump at the opportunity. It's almost like they set up him knowing about Ravnica and his downfall on Kaladesh to lead into something.... ;)
  • Mburn7
    wereotter said:
    Mburn7 said:
    Tilwin90 said:

Current rumors suggest:

Dovin seems after what went down on Kaladesh that he's a man with little left to lose, and if Bolas offered him a fresh start on a new world in a position of political power heading the law making faction, I think Dovin would jump at the opportunity. It's almost like they set up him knowing about Ravnica and his downfall on Kaladesh to lead into something.... ;)
    Hmmmm, good point.  I'm just not sure how having Dovin in charge would be beneficial to Bolas.  There's no way he would support any kind of destruction or degradation of order, and I don't think he'll be easily manipulated.  I am definitely curious what weaknesses Dovin would see in Bolas when using his powers, though (other than ego of course, that anyone can see including Bolas himself).

On Topic:  Yeah, Bolas hiring Kaya to assassinate the Ghost Council and take over Orzhov is incredibly likely (I mean, that was my first thought when Kaya came out in Conspiracy).  New B/W Walker here we come!
  • wereotter
    Mburn7 said:
    wereotter said:
    Mburn7 said:
    Tilwin90 said:

Current rumors suggest:

Hmmmm, good point.  I'm just not sure how having Dovin in charge would be beneficial to Bolas.  There's no way he would support any kind of destruction or degradation of order, and I don't think he'll be easily manipulated.  I am definitely curious what weaknesses Dovin would see in Bolas when using his powers, though (other than ego of course, that anyone can see including Bolas himself).

On Topic:  Yeah, Bolas hiring Kaya to assassinate the Ghost Council and take over Orzhov is incredibly likely (I mean, that was my first thought when Kaya came out in Conspiracy).  New B/W Walker here we come!
    Easy, Bolas lies.

Bolas can install Dovin with certain promises and half truths, and once he gets what he wants from the Azorius, he has Tezzeret use the Planar Bridge to send the Immortal Sun onto the world, and it doesn't matter if Dovin opposes it or not, because he can't leave, and dies along with everyone else once the Eternals arrive. Bolas isn't going to send his A-squad to head up the guilds since they're going to die there if his plan works out.
  • Mburn7
    wereotter said:
    Mburn7 said:
    wereotter said:
    Mburn7 said:
    Tilwin90 said:

Current rumors suggest:

Easy, Bolas lies.

Bolas can install Dovin with certain promises and half truths, and once he gets what he wants from the Azorius, he has Tezzeret use the Planar Bridge to send the Immortal Sun onto the world, and it doesn't matter if Dovin opposes it or not, because he can't leave, and dies along with everyone else once the Eternals arrive. Bolas isn't going to send his A-squad to head up the guilds since they're going to die there if his plan works out.
    Yeah, but Dovin is much better at seeing through lies than, say, Domri.  He's a shrewd political operative and his powers make him even more perceptive.  I can't imagine what Bolas could promise him that would make him support the destruction of Law and Order (dun dun) on Ravnica (since that seems like what phase 1 of his plan is based on the Golgari and Gruul flavor text I've seen).

I really hope WoTC starts releasing the Ravnica stories soon, because the suspense is killing me.
  • Tilwin90
    Tilwin90 Posts: 662 Critical Contributor
    The destruction of law and order... that's easy!
    You can have false order via bureaucratic means and Azorius are known for having very complicated laws, that are not necessarily in the benefit of Ravnica. Rules for the sake of rules come to mind here. 
  • techmarine5
    techmarine5 Posts: 57 Match Maker
    What about sarkhan? Do you guys think that he will make an appearance? In addition, I just don't see the gatewatch using/working with the cult of rakdos
  • Mburn7
    What about sarkhan? Do you guys think that he will make an appearance? In addition, I just don't see the gatewatch using/working with the cult of rakdos
    Sarkhan would work for Gruul or for Rakados (since he has been a GR and BR walker in different sets), but I would be surprised to see him in the next set working for Bolas again.  He'll almost definitely be back in a future set, though.
  • techmarine5
    techmarine5 Posts: 57 Match Maker
    Mburn7 said:
    Sarkhan would work for Gruul or for Rakados (since he has been a GR and BR walker in different sets), but I would be surprised to see him in the next set working for Bolas again.  He'll almost definitely be back in a future set, though.
    The reason I said this is because each side is supposed to contol half the guilds. Golgari, orzhov, azorius, gruul, and izzet are all supposedly under his control. I think him having control of rakdos is just more likely than him having both azorius and ozhov. 
  • mrixl2520
    mrixl2520 Posts: 240 Tile Toppler
    Good news! New Black/White planeswalker confirmed in the next Ravnica expansion!

Kaya, Orzhov Usurper
  • Mburn7
    mrixl2520 said:
    Good news! New Black/White planeswalker confirmed in the next Ravnica expansion!

Kaya, Orzhov Usurper
    Bad News:  She doesn't look very good.
  • wereotter
    Mburn7 said:
    mrixl2520 said:

Kaya, Orzhov Usurper
    I dunno, I think she's playable. Don't know for standard, but definitely for commander. Graveyard hate is a must in that format. Plus she eliminates fast mana rocks.
  • Mburn7
    wereotter said:
    Mburn7 said:
    mrixl2520 said:

Kaya, Orzhov Usurper
    I dunno, I think she's playable. Don't know for standard, but definitely for commander. Graveyard hate is a must in that format. Plus she eliminates fast mana rocks.
    Hmm, fair enough.  I haven't played commander in ages (nobody to play with), but I get a lot of standard on Arena, so that's how I've been seeing new cards lately.

Graveyard hate will definitely be good, but I don't like her as a 3 drop.  With those abilities I feel they could have been stronger and up her cost a bit.