New implementation for Flash

Options
Tilwin90
Tilwin90 Posts: 662 Critical Contributor
Right now Flash has an incredibly clunky and weird implementation, namely it triggers during opponent turn as part of a double condition check process:
1) A creature attacks you
2) The card itself is disabled

As flash is thought as a replacement for paper magic instants that allow you to cast spells on opponent turn (and now with cards being drawn and getting fully charged after your main phase this is more relevant), I figure that it could be extended to various other cards that don't interact with creatures only. 

With this being said, I have the following suggestion for Flash: 
1) After your opponent's main phase, iterate through all cards in the player's hand that satisfy the following three conditions:
- It is a card with Flash
- It can be cast (satisfying the mana and target requirements as if the card were to be cast during main phase)
- It is NOT disabled (the whole disable aspect is very very clunky, as it leads for flash cards working the other way around right now... a disabled card should be disabled in all circumstances)
2) For each such card, give the player the OPTION to cast it. I already saw this put in place for stored mana cards that are still not fully charged, which I think is a wonderful idea!
3) If the user chooses to proceed with casting the card, allow picking targets if needed, otherwise simply cast it.

It's one more click, I agree, but I think it's a very small price to pay for the flexibility this offers, leading flash cards closer to paper magic instant implementation.

What do you guys think? Would this be more intuitive than the current implementation? Other ways we could improve the idea?

Comments

• Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I second this, especially since it would eliminate the annoyances of Flash cards giving cast prompts for each creature attacking you instead of once at the start of the attack step.
  • Tremayne
    Tremayne Posts: 1,611 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Sounds like a great idea to me.
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    They need to work on flash more, I agree. I would also like the ability to cast my flash cards in response to my opponent's spells, specifically due to one card they added in the Zendikar vs. Eldrazi event.

The card already has flash, but the fact is the card having flash does nothing for it unless I can cast it in response to my opponent attempting to destroy/exile one of my creatures.
  • Tilwin90
    Tilwin90 Posts: 662 Critical Contributor
    Options
    wereotter said:
    They need to work on flash more, I agree. I would also like the ability to cast my flash cards in response to my opponent's spells, specifically due to one card they added in the Zendikar vs. Eldrazi event.

The card already has flash, but the fact is the card having flash does nothing for it unless I can cast it in response to my opponent attempting to destroy/exile one of my creatures.
    The problem with this approach, while the closest to paper magic and opening the path for real counterspells, is that it would be very very annoying. Imagine an opponent has a combo or explosive deck and casts 5-6 cards per turn. Going through confirmation for each flash card in your hand for each time your opponent casts something would be super tiresome.

The MTGPQ spirit is much more "auto-play" than paper magic. Indeed, an ideal situation for the players would be to adapt flash cards depending on the relevant situation (though that is highly debatable to begin with). The main issue with this "ideal" approach is that it would require a per-card decision. And such decisions, since they are not documented or classified in a well-organized manner means it would lead to increased design+coding effort, and increase the risk of bugs.