The end game

Pongie
Pongie Posts: 1,410 Chairperson of the Boards
We all know this game has a finite lifespan, it wont be no going forever. However, I would love it if the game would still be playable. To achieve this, I suggest, request and plead with the devs to make the following changes before the lights go out:

1. Remove all placement rewards. The game will only have progress rewards in all modes.
2. Replace all cover rewards in progress and change them to the appropriate token
3. Have all events running endlessly like prologue. Story mode will have all events available. players can decide to join one whenever they want, and play as many as they want. Once the event ends, they simply become available again. Same goes for versus mode, all are available to play. Ditto for Boss.
4. Remove the time slices 
5. Revamp daily supply to random or cycle automatically

There shouldn't be a need to have a backend server dependency anymore without placement rewards and slices. Remove the leaderboard and the save file is just locally stored (still backed up to facebook for changing devices). Players can still progress and play endlessly. Sure there wont be new content, but you can finally play at your own pace.

Comments

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Who's going to pay for the copyright and licensing fees?
  • Pongie
    edited September 2018
    I always thought those fees are for new content. Is there a subscription/ongoing cost too?
  • HoundofShadow
    I doubt Disney/Marvel sold them perpetual licenses that allow Demiurge to use the characters forever or within MPQ. I was thinking that there must be some kind of clause that prevents Demiurge to use those characters if the development is ended by Disney/Marvel.
  • Pongie
    I figured it’s like pc or console games. The studio behind them go out of business, but the games are still out there in shops (if you can find them). Didn’t think this would be any different, apart from the game being free to purchase, and it being available via digital stores. 
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Pongie said:
    I figured it’s like pc or console games. The studio behind them go out of business, but the games are still out there in shops (if you can find them). Didn’t think this would be any different, apart from the game being free to purchase, and it being available via digital stores. 

That's not how it works for licensed properties.

When MPQ shuts down, it will be like the other Marvel F2p that got shut down, Marvel Heroes.

That is, servers down, no more game, end of story.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2018
    Who's going to pay for the copyright and licensing fees?
    Who is paying for it with Adventure Time Puzzle Quest?  It appears to have gone out of development around 8/2016, dropped support on 6/2017, and is still available today (until 10/2018).  Is that not also a copyrighted property?  This seems to be the identical scenario to what the OP suggests.

EDIT: Removed the last paragraph, the OP addressed it.
  • HoundofShadow
    edited September 2018
    So, Adventure Time Puzzle Quest will cease to exist in the app store beginning from 1 Oct 2018. However, the game will be playable beyond that. I'm not sure if Marvel will allow similar thing to happen to MPQ. It depends on the contract Demiurge/D3 signed with Marvel/Disney.

Here's the news:

https://d3go.com/news/update-adventure-time-puzzle-quest-storefront-removal-october-2018/
  • Ptahhotep
    Ptahhotep Posts: 414 Mover and Shaker
    I suspect that the Adventure Time licence was not being renewed. The expiry date would be known, possibly the end of next year, and a phased withdrawal is in progress. Development stops, then support followed by withdrawal from the app stores and finally the game is shut down when the servers are decommissioned. There seems to be a gap of about a year between each step.
    I would expect something similar if the Marvel licence were not to be renewed. In the event of the game being discontinued because Marvel Puzzle Quest II was coming then the pattern would be different; players would be kept informed, the transition would be faster and existing players may have their rosters migrated to the new version.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ptahhotep said:
    ...and existing players may have their rosters migrated to the new version.
    You're joking, clearly. ;)
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2018
    Ptahhotep said:
    ...and existing players may have their rosters migrated to the new version.
    You're joking, clearly. ;)
    Yeah everything else in your post makes sense, but not this excerpt.  I don't expect this would happen.  I wouldn't want it either.  If they did a sequel one of the best things would be getting rid of dilution for a time and wiping away a lot of old bad characters/decisions to start fresh.